Neighbour complaining about jumparoo

(308 Posts)
SeaLeaf Sat 26-Mar-16 08:31:58

We live in a first floor apartment. Downstairs neighbour is complaining about 'thumping' noise when baby goes in jumparoo! I've put a foam mat under it and tried moving it to other rooms but she still complains! We have wood floors everywhere and I prefer to keep it in kitchen so I can cook!

He's 7months and uses it for about 30mins at a time, usually 7am, 9am, 1pm, 3pm, 6pm.

I feel she should put up with it, you can't expect silence in a building with families and what will happen when he's older and starts running and jumping?
Why should he be denied playtime in his favourite toy?

What do others think?

EatShitDerek Sat 26-Mar-16 08:33:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhForTheLoveOfGin Sat 26-Mar-16 08:35:14

YABU.

Having wooden floors throughout an upper floor flat is your main issue. Unless you've lived underneath that you really can't appreciate how noisy it is for those below you. Every noise you make will carry, and 2.5 hours of thumping would drive anyone bonkers

miraclebabyplease Sat 26-Mar-16 08:35:53

Maybe not the 7am or 9am ones. The rest you have to deal with some noise from above and below when living in a flat.

OneLove10 Sat 26-Mar-16 08:36:00

Yabu it's wooden floors! Have you actually had a listen to that noise? It is really irritating.

Snoopadoop Sat 26-Mar-16 08:36:22

Can't imagine it's that loud to be honest. If she's complaing about that now then you're going to have a nightmare when he's a toddler, young child thundering around all over the place. You might need to revisit those wood floors andreplace with caroet or lots of rugs. Or invest in some soundproofing.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Sat 26-Mar-16 08:36:26

Why don't you try to organise going downstairs while your DS is in it to see what the noise is like? Then your neighbour will see you're not just dismissing his complaint and you could chat about it.

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Sat 26-Mar-16 08:36:46

YABU
Constant thumping would drive me mad.
Maybe a thick rug underneath it?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 26-Mar-16 08:37:29

You need to drop the 7am one!

Lighteningirll Sat 26-Mar-16 08:37:37

Yabu for having wooden floors in an upstairs flat, just imagine what that jumparoo must sound like at 7am.

MaisieDotes Sat 26-Mar-16 08:37:38

Put a rug under it?

Maybe the foam mat and then a rug over that.

MrsH1989 Sat 26-Mar-16 08:37:39

Maybe avoid the 7am one as that could be waking her although I'm not convinced it's loud enough for her to hear much at all unless you have a monster for a baby
Other than that carry on! You are trying to be considerate with the mat but as you said, noise is inevitable.

almostthirty Sat 26-Mar-16 08:38:00

I hate my dcs jumparoo it's so loud and can be heard throughout the house. There is no way I would even consider having one in a flat it would be too inconsiderate.

MaisieDotes Sat 26-Mar-16 08:38:08

Oh x-post!

Snoopadoop Sat 26-Mar-16 08:38:32

Okay those who have lived beneath wood floors have experienced it. You really are going to have to soundproof somehow.

Zippidydoodah Sat 26-Mar-16 08:38:35

7 am is too early I think. Besides that..... Your routine is very strict! grin

domesticslattern Sat 26-Mar-16 08:38:38

2.5 hours a day?!?!?! I think you need to find another way to entertain your baby.

PestilentialCat Sat 26-Mar-16 08:39:00

Agree with Orange go & listen to the noise yourself. Also maybe have the neighbour see your baby enjoying the bouncing.

RidersOnTheStorm Sat 26-Mar-16 08:39:23

YABU. If you have wood floors then you need to dump the jumparoo. Very selfish.

ClopySow Sat 26-Mar-16 08:39:24

Depends on the flat and sound proofing. I lived under a guy who was pretty quiet, but because of the terrible sound proofing, the noise was horrendous. He came in to my flat and couldn't believe how loud his tv sounded. I went up to his and it was at a totally reasonable level, but sounded worse through the floor.

PestilentialCat Sat 26-Mar-16 08:39:59

Zippidy - yes seems very strict an Olympic athlete in the making perhaps grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 26-Mar-16 08:40:45

Having wood floors in an upstairs flat is a pain for people downstairs. My neighbour has them and we can follow her every move. Luckily she's hardly ever home so it's not too much of a problem.

almostthirty Sat 26-Mar-16 08:40:59

sorry op ignore my post! I got muddled up between the jump and spin and jumparoo. The jump and spin is ridiculously loud and a pain. I have no idea about the jumparoo blush

MakeItRain Sat 26-Mar-16 08:41:04

I remember a thread about this years ago and someone posting a link to a baby on one. I was shocked at how loud it was!

So I think, in a flat with wooden floors YABU, 2 and half hours of daily thumping in the flat upstairs would utterly depress me. Especially if it kicked off daily at 7am.

RiverTam Sat 26-Mar-16 08:41:56

Sorry but hard flooring in a first floor apartment is very anti-social. The baby jumping is probably the final straw, they will be able to hear your every footstep, yes, even with shoes off, and all sounds will be amplified.

Get your apartment carpeted properly or if wooden flooring is that important move to a ground floor apartment. YABVVVVVU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now