Bloody annoyed at builders!!

(18 Posts)
Harboromummy Thu 24-Mar-16 19:23:18

We picked up our keys today for our brand new home. Very exciting! We have bought a house on a plot who with ours (200k) there are also properties at 400-500k. All the houses are the same development, estate agent and builders.

When we pulled up to our house to meet the estate agent and builder,two doors down at a more expensive property was a family moving in too. Expect they had a bow on their door, and drinking champagne with the builder and another man from the estate agent.

The estate agent showed us round, and we pointed out things that need fixing, I.e a chip on the glass door in the bathroom, huge scratch on cooker hob.
We were told the builder will be with us at 12 to go over everything and is bringing another builder to fix some things we hadn't noticed.

All after noon he spent running back and forth from the other home. He didn't turn up by 3 I rang and said I had to go to the school run. He said he will send someone round at 3.30 when I'm back.

I stayed there until 6 and they have all gone home. We didn't see anyone apart from the estate agent. I feel like we've been treated so rubbish compared to the others.
They put the house numbers on wrong a week ago, we've asked about it numerous times and they have said they we will swap them. Yet they still haven't 😒. We are number 46, and currently have the number 38 on. Which is annoying.

Aibu to feel abit hmm about it all sad

MelanieCheeks Thu 24-Mar-16 19:26:59

Ach in the greater scheme of things there are worse crimes. Enjoy your new home!

Harboromummy Thu 24-Mar-16 19:28:57

Think I'm just hormonal, heavy pregnant and achey sad

araiba Thu 24-Mar-16 19:35:11

well done on answering your own question op

i like a happy ending

fabulousathome Thu 24-Mar-16 19:35:55

I disagree. You have paid £200k!

londonrach Thu 24-Mar-16 19:36:16

Yanbu. I remember getting my new skoda the same week as my mil got her new polo. She got flowers, free floor mats etc in the car, i just got the car and vvvv jealous, not that i told my mil who is lovely. My skoda was my first ever new car and took alot of saving to buy. However fast forward 11 years i ve still got my skoda (yes the same one) and mil part exchanged her polo after 2 years for her brand new skoda which she still drives. Im sure theres a moral here!!!

So op enjoy your new home and get them to fix the problems. Congratulations xxx

mamas12 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:36:19

You have the perfect excuse to really lay it on the line with them
Email them tonight and tell them how disappointed and digested you are with their behaviour and tell them what you want to happen tomorrow before anything else happens email the managers manager
Do you owe them any money? If so don't pay up until you are happy
Keep phoning and emailing every hour until they just want to finish the job
And also make sure it's done up to spec!

araiba Thu 24-Mar-16 19:39:31

just so op is aware- snagging will carry on for at least a year or more. you will have more issues than this

the joys of buying a new build

Jelliebabe1 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:39:37

New homes are always full of snags. Go round it with a fine toothed comb and write a list. Put everything in writing and yes I'd probably say something like "ooooh where's my champagne?" £200k is not to be sneezed at!

Harboromummy Thu 24-Mar-16 19:41:26

Don't owe any money. Dp rang estate agents and they passed it on apparently. Im going to corner the builder tomorrow if they are working

araiba Thu 24-Mar-16 19:42:40

don't let them use your toilet either!!

Roseberrry Thu 24-Mar-16 19:45:06

Oh I'd be a bit jealous too I think. You've still spent a lot of money with them, should at least get some prosecco!

Enjoy your new home op smile

Vintage45 Thu 24-Mar-16 19:46:36

Builders leave skid marks don't you know grin New builds do have to "settle". Building firms can't afford to send someone over for an hour or two because there's a crack in something, if so, they'd be out of business. Make a list of what needs doing so it can all get done in a day or two's work.

toldmywrath Thu 24-Mar-16 20:04:44

araiba don't let them use your toilet either!! haha I've just come over from that thread, too & thought the complaint about the builders was going to be of the same nature.

Yanbu OP, £200k is not to be sniffed at!

Vintage45 Thu 24-Mar-16 20:09:27

OMG, its just been built! things happen, cracks do appear etc. Snagging is surely part of the bargain. Building companies come back after 6 months to put things right. Do you really expect them to be at your service until then? Unbelievable.

frankieforceps Thu 24-Mar-16 20:11:56

i like you

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Thu 24-Mar-16 20:52:31

I used to live on a v posh new housing estate - snagging problems were infamous for never being sorted out, even on v expensive homes.

YANBU, and it's pretty crap, but don't stress the small stuff - enjoy your lovely new home brew

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 24-Mar-16 21:10:14

There could be a reason for the other buyers getting a bow and champagne etc. Maybe they were the first on the estate to get the keys and so were part of some marketing thing for the developer, with photos being taken for an ad in the local paper sort of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now