AIBU or is it normal for Sky to deface your house?

(12 Posts)
Cutecat78 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:26:20

Sky engineer came last weekend to fix satalite dish (we paid £30 for this).

While perfectly nice and efficient when he arrived he was an hour later than he said and delayed us taking DSC for a bike ride.

Apart from this, several days later I noticed a massive hook sticking out screwed into a rawl plug in the front of my house below my lounge window where the guy had gone up his ladder and secured himself (I cannot think why else this would be there).

I have unscrewed it but clearly it's left a big hole in my not long ago painted house.

AIBU to think he should have at least asked if it was ok to drill a hole in my house, he shouldn't have done it in the first place - and should I just fill it and paint over it or do I complain - it this common practice? shock

bluestarred Wed 23-Mar-16 14:31:42

They bloody wrecked our house. Drilled using incorrect drill bits on an internal wall. Took huge chunks of plaster off both sides of the wall (apx size of a fist). As they were pulling the chunks of plaster off the walls, they were ripping all my wall paper too.

After 45 min of this, they then said it couldn't be done, and left to go to the pub next door leaving mess, plaster and ripped wall paper everywhere angry

It was a complete fucking mess. DH has to re-plaster the wall on both sides.

MorticiaLiverish Wed 23-Mar-16 14:32:41

It is common practice, they always drill holes to secure their ladders now. He probably should have told you that he was going to do it, he wouldn't have gone up the ladder if you had said no.

Cutecat78 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:33:04

hmm

That makes my hole seem trivial...

Cutecat78 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:33:22

I meant shock not hmm

Cutecat78 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:40:42

If someone is going to drill a hole in my house I expect them to ask shockshock

hellsbellsmelons Wed 23-Mar-16 14:56:22

Health and safety at it's finest I'm afraid.
They have to do that now.

We had Sky fitted at the weekend and the guy was fabulous.
Went above and beyond, bless him.
Arrived about 20 minutes early and got it all done quickly.

They have so very much to get through in a day.
He had 7 more calls to make (each takes about an hour) and the does not include travelling and having to meet someone to get his next days call sheets.
Poor guy.

LBOCS2 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:59:42

Sky outsource this sort of thing to independent contractors who have a reputation for being extremely hit or miss. My DM had such a terrible experience with her installer (tried to pressurise her - as a pensioner - into buying more cable when 50m should be provided, tried to run black cable indoors, got threatening, she had a friend come over who was then verbally abused by the installer for being gay, they threatened him with the police as he wouldn't leave) that she ended up getting her new Sky contract for free for a year.

Cutecat78 Wed 23-Mar-16 15:08:08

TBF how difficult his job may or may not be has no significance on him drilling a chuffing hole into my newly painted house.

He was in a sky van and uniform don't think he was contracted.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 23-Mar-16 15:41:49

SKY came to install our downstairs' neighbours internet connection. We're in a top-floor flat and our building used to belong to one business, so all the phone lines are in the middle flat (now an office).

While they were sorting his internet, they didn't check the other phone lines for activity and cut off our internet. We were both at work so didn't realise until that evening - we had to ring BT (our provider) to come and fix our connection. We didn't have internet for three days, I had take a day off work to let the engineer in, and we didn't qualify for compensation because our connection wasn't out long enough to qualify.

We complained to SKY but they never apologised, even though it was their engineer at fault. angry

oldenoughtoknow Wed 23-Mar-16 17:02:15

Did you actually ring up and complain? We weren't happy with a hole left in the wall so we phoned and the next day someone was sent to put it right.

Cutecat78 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:03:58

Ooh did they?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now