To think this is just stealing.

(156 Posts)
Parrotmore Wed 23-Mar-16 11:08:50

A couple I know have be redecorating their front room and have been looking at new furniture so the husband purposely knocked paint off the top of his ladder splashing over the sofa, the tv, carpet and some oft he units.
They have claimed and been given Harvey's vouchers to use to replace it all.
Plus the company replaced the tv but as theirs wasn't like for like (old model) they got the newer model.
This is just fraud right??
I'm really disgusted by this and now my opinion of them is that they are just liars.
They think everybody does it and I'm sensitive but I don't think I am.
So Ainu to feel this way. I now wouldn't trust them at all.

AnyFucker Wed 23-Mar-16 11:09:59

yanbu

It is fraud and no, not everyone does it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:10:18

Yanbu.

Hopefully their premiums will be hiked up now.

curren Wed 23-Mar-16 11:11:51

Yanbu. Dhs uncle was famous for stuff like this.

He wanted a new cooker so melted the knobs with a lighter. He was pissed off that try just replaced the knobs.

It's insurance fraud and we all end up paying more.

Everyone doesn't do it. Dh and his dad were horrified every time he did it.

AnyFucker Wed 23-Mar-16 11:11:51

Unfortunately, every one else's premiums also get hiked up by people doing this kind of thing

Oysterbabe Wed 23-Mar-16 11:12:14

Yep it's fraud.

BirthdayBetty Wed 23-Mar-16 11:12:32

Yanbu, these fraudulent claims push up premiums for everyone.

EastMidsMummy Wed 23-Mar-16 11:12:54

Yep. Shitty, dishonest behaviour that the rest of us are paying for.

NewNameNotTheSame Wed 23-Mar-16 11:14:05

YANBU, fucking hate this sort of stuff. A colleague was bragging about claiming to Amazon that her nearly £1k laptop never arrived and got a replacement which she sold. I've given her a wide berth since, bloody hate liars and frauds.

Hopefully their increased premiums give them a slap to the chops.

tiggytape Wed 23-Mar-16 11:14:45

Yes it is fraud but I suppose he has staged it in such a way that it unlikely he would get caught.

Investigators spot people who fake it badly eg if they only get the paint on the carpet but miss everything else for example and they have forensic style resources detailing how paint falls and splashes so they do catch out loads of people who stage it less well.

That said, insurance companies still track even what appear to be genuine claims so his premiums may well go up and he might have trouble claiming for future things in the sense of being more scrutinised even if he is genuine that time.

Parrotmore Wed 23-Mar-16 11:15:12

I felt sick when the husband told me, he thought it was hilarious. I Gould out from him they also claimed they all had whiplash ( kids included) after a car accident once, it just makes me feel really uneasy and like they are lying ass holes. Won't be going for coffee with them any time soon.

KurriKurri Wed 23-Mar-16 11:16:51

I knew a couple who did similar things - and yes it is stealing/fraud, they seemed unable to grasp that.

They may be right that a lot of people do it though - I don't know - whatever, it doesn't make it OK.

wasonthelist Wed 23-Mar-16 11:18:22

One of the things I like least aboutmy homeland (UK) is the amount of this kind of dishonest tossers.

Elle80 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:20:18

Yes it's fraud, but their insurance premium will go up as a consequence of the claim

GertrudeBadger Wed 23-Mar-16 11:22:58

I remember friends had a new wood floor put in and it was pretty expensive, more than they could really afford, so they made a bunch of spurious claims about the installation and knocked the company for about £500-£600 in the end, I did think less of them for that, particularly the bloke who thought he was pretty clever for beating the company...

Noodledoodledoo Wed 23-Mar-16 11:28:53

I once witnessed a car accident about 12 years ago. Car into the side of another one - one pulled out in front of the other so a clear fault accident.

The driver in the non fault car refused to accept any first aid advice, had a nasty knock to his head, was told by at least 4 first aid trained people (me, a friend, and two from where I worked who came out to help) to sit still and wait for the ambulance. Kept jumping up and down to check stuff in his car.

About 6 weeks later I got sent a questionnaire to answer about the various injuries he received, half those listed were not possible as would have been visible at the accident and they weren't. Sadly for him I gave an honest account - not sure what the outcome was but I wasn't a witness on his side!!

Hate people who try to claim wrongly.

However I was driven into a few weeks ago, not my fault, and everytime I have spoken to an insurance company, mine, the other drivers, accident management company the first question they ask is was I injured - not what happened!! Seems they like to plant the idea in peoples heads!

SilverBirchWithout Wed 23-Mar-16 11:31:19

I'd be pretty cross if our insurance company gave us Harvey's vouchers when making a (valid) claim. I didn't know insurance companies did this.

<misses point of thread>

elegantlygrey1 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:33:16

If you are caught with insurance fraud you are fucked. No car insurance - not able to ever drive. No mortgage as cannot get insurance for house buildings and contents. You won't even be able to get pet insurance.

The insurers will have been hammered by the floods and the new tax on premiums. I bet that they will start looking closer at stuff like this.

middlings Wed 23-Mar-16 11:36:20

Stealing. Horrible behaviour.

Silver we were burgled years ago and the insurance company gave us Dixons vouchers to use to replace some of the goods. We were a bit ticked off to have to give our business to a company we didn't particularly want to. I think it's dreadful.

Princesspeach1980 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:37:21

That's awful behaviour, we've all just bought them a new sofa with our premiums! angry

Grilledaubergines Wed 23-Mar-16 11:39:57

YANBU. But they've been lumbered with Harvey's vouchers.

Seriously it pisses me right off. It is theft and it is fraud.

WoodleyPixie Wed 23-Mar-16 11:40:51

I'm assuming that the retailers give the insurers a hefty discount on the value of the vouchers. However I'd be mightily peeved off with a genuine claim for damage on my say argos sofa and getting harveys vouchers, what if there was nothing you liked in harveys? They should at least give you the option to choose whatever store and provide vouchers/direct payment to the store to the value of the payout.

To answer the question, yes it is fraud/theft.

honeyroar Wed 23-Mar-16 11:43:26

My very well off neighbours are always claiming on their household insurance for things like that. It's fraud. It's theft and it hacks me off as my insurance is always rising thanks to them.

Floggingmolly Wed 23-Mar-16 11:44:21

Surely his premiums just increase by such an amount that he eventually pays it all back anyway?? (Bit like buying on HP, really). If he imagines he's really coming out on top he's more than a little bit thick as well as being a cheating bastard.

Spandexpants007 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:44:26

They may have just been joking when they said it was intentional

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now