to dread this appointment

(12 Posts)
mommy2ash Wed 23-Mar-16 07:01:55

My dd has an issue with her leg her foot turns in slightly when she walks. We have had this looked at and advised to come back when she is 12 and they may operate. I asked for physio but the consultant didn't feel it would help she has had a few appointments anyway.

The lady at physio is lovely and I have built the exercises she gives into dd's daily routine. She keeps pushing for extra curricular activities that I can't afford or don't have the time to being my dd. she gets my dd all excited saying she really needs to do these classes and my dd would love to. I have to go back yet again next month and tell her no she didn't join ballet or swimming and I haven't bought a new bike either.

I'm a single mother working full time just about making ends meet. I babysit for my sister at weekends so even with money aside my time is very limited. My dd already does drama and football

Aibu to feel a like a kid who hasn't done their homework and b like I'm leaving my dd down

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Mar-16 07:37:27

You mustn't feel like that. sad Is it possible for you to have a word without your DD either before or after the appointment and explain that although you appreciate the activities would help unfortunately you aren't in a position to do them at the moment.

mommy2ash Wed 23-Mar-16 08:29:05

I've said at every appointment well I work full time and she already does activities I pay for three days a week I can't really fit anything else in.

She had a few seasons two years ago and she also mentioned riding a bike. I went straight out and bought one but living right in the middle of a city with small streets made it very hard to do any actual cycling. Added to the fact my dd's legs get tired so we couldn't actually use the bike to go anywhere we just cycled up and down the road.

I'm sure she means well and really is lovely but the suggestions just aren't practical

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Mar-16 08:31:32

Would it be possible to fit a swimming session or two in over Easter maybe?

Yes, she will mean well, and I suppose she has to recommend things as part of the job, try not to take it to heart though. (easier said than done)

Aeroflotgirl Wed 23-Mar-16 08:31:58

She does sound quite unprofessional, really she should be advocating exercises that are free and she can do at home. I would tell her really quite frankly, that you do not have the money to do these classes, and could she give some excercises that your dd can do at home please.

Aeroflotgirl Wed 23-Mar-16 08:33:21

Yes she can recommend, but she should not keep pushing it onto op, and mentioning it do dd. Say it once, than not again. She should realise as part of her job that not everbody can afford these classes. Mabey take dd swimming yourself, or get a sendhand bike.

mommy2ash Wed 23-Mar-16 08:37:56

I would love to take her swimming but I'm working over the Easter holidays. I only managed two days off and have to mind my nieces those days and they are both under 3.

I think I will ask her to only recommend exercises she can do at home. My dd has wanted to do ballet since she was a baby so you can imagine the excitement when that was recommended. She is a good kid though and I have explained to her we don't have the time

BettyBi0 Wed 23-Mar-16 08:42:40

It sounds like you are already doing lots to help. Is there any way to contact the physio in advance and explain it isn't fair or her to recommend extras to your DD that you can't afford?

Re: the bikes thing, there seem to be lots of kids bikes on freecycle sites as long as she isn't too fussy with brands. Also, lots of free cycling proficiency courses being laid on to encourage more young cyclists. Maybe look into whether anything like that going on locally that she could go to with a friend?

mommy2ash Wed 23-Mar-16 08:45:43

She has a bike already and isn't very good at riding it. The leg that turns in gets tired and that's what we are working on. It's more work to keep the leg in the right position which makes her tired faster. She goes out on it now and then but there is only up the street and back to go.

Only1scoop Wed 23-Mar-16 08:51:39

I think the cycling would probably help heaps and this is what the physio is getting at.

As you've said she has a bike, doesn't need a new one. Maybe if you get time at the weekend is there a local park you can both take a mini picnic to and get her cycling.

It doesn't really matter where she is cycling if it's going to benefit her.

mommy2ash Wed 23-Mar-16 09:07:51

I try to get her out on the bike when I can. We do it in bursts rather than using it as transport as it would be through a city and about 20 minutes to the nearest park and I would have my nieces with me. Well I never really go far with them anyway the baby would be in a buggy and the two year old would have to walk so I couldn't keep an eye on my dd on a bike near traffic. We tend to go out in the evenings for 20 minutes or so up and down the road till she complains her leg hurts and doesn't want to do it anymore

MaitlandGirl Wed 23-Mar-16 10:19:08

Could you get a stand for the bike so she can use it at home like a static exercise bike?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HX8NDRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1458728177&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=static+bike+stand&dpPl=1&dpID=41KCT8K8HXL&ref=plSrch

This is the sort of thing - bound to be available cheaper. That way she could pedal at home and not have to worry about being sore and tired but still having to get home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now