Is airbnb host BU for wanting access to holiday apartment?

(41 Posts)
easterholidays Tue 22-Mar-16 13:41:28

We've booked a week away at easter, just the two of us, after a tiring and stressful couple of months. We're planning to do very little. The airbnb host has just messaged to ask whether we mind if her neighbour comes over twice on our first day there to move some stuff. Apparently he has a key so we "don't need to be there".

I don't want the first day of my holiday interrupted by a stranger, I want to be able to stay in bed all morning and not get dressed until lunchtime if I feel like it. But it seems really mean to refuse. I wish she just hadn't asked! What would you do?

LionsLedge Tue 22-Mar-16 13:44:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2rebecca Tue 22-Mar-16 13:46:23

No, either they are able to let the apartment or they aren't. If you're renting it it's your house for that time not hers.

frenchfancy Tue 22-Mar-16 13:46:25

You are renting the whole property for.the week. The only reasonable access would be for urgent maintenance. Neighbours moving stuff is a breach of your privacy.

LionsLedge Tue 22-Mar-16 13:47:56

oneoldmare Tue 22-Mar-16 13:48:12

I'm with you, I wouldn't want to be disturbed either,
I think it was fine to ask but also fine for you to say no, you'd prefer not to be disturbed.
If I was you I would reply that you don't want to seem awkward but would prefer if this could be done at a different time, I'd just say that this break is a much needed time for peace and solitude.
You've paid to rent out the space, don't feel bad.

easterholidays Tue 22-Mar-16 13:49:02

Thank you, I was worried IWBU to say no, but I think I will! "We'd prefer not to be disturbed" is perfectly polite, isn't it?

JanetOfTheApes Tue 22-Mar-16 13:49:08

No bloody way. Tell him he doesn't get to rent it out and have access to it at the same time, that isn't how it works.
Cheeky bugger.

pambeesley Tue 22-Mar-16 13:49:13

Tell them what time you are due to arrive on the first day and ask them to do it before that time.

Branleuse Tue 22-Mar-16 13:49:16

how strange. I wouldnt like that at all.

I would message back and request that anything like that be done before you come if possible as its supposed to be a romantic break for you and your partner.

Ask if there is a problem with the booking for that weekend and do you need to book elsewhere instead (i doubt theyll want you to)

RatOnnaStick Tue 22-Mar-16 13:49:35

I would say no too. Surely either the host or the neighbour can arrange to remove the stuff before you arrive? Or at the very least have it waiting by the door and he would have to knock for it at a prearranged time.

ijustwannadance Tue 22-Mar-16 13:50:43

If neighbour has key they can move stuff before you arrive surely?

whois Tue 22-Mar-16 13:52:37

Yeah just say no and suggest they do it before your arrival time.

Reapwhatyousow Tue 22-Mar-16 14:00:08

As an Airbnb Host myself (a resident one) I'm amazed that you have been asked. In your position I would say no, that is not convenient and any removal should be done before your arrival. Don't they know you will review them? Either they are very new and inexperienced and/or it is a ruse for the host to vet you. Are you being greeted on arrival? It's a big no no for the host to request this.

easterholidays Tue 22-Mar-16 14:04:56

Thanks Reapwhatyousow and others. I'm going to message back and ask whether they can arrange it for before we arrive. Fingers crossed!

easterholidays Tue 22-Mar-16 14:05:53

Oh, and we're not being greeted on arrival, but the host has lots of positive reviews so hopefully this is just a one-off and they'll be fine with us saying no.

LionsLedge Tue 22-Mar-16 14:11:39

dustarr73 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:18:41

Yes dont ask or say sorry.Just say it isnt possible and leave it at that.

angielou123 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:35:47

No way. You are well within your rights to refuse. Who would want to be disturbed by a stranger, letting himself in aswell, on the first day of your holiday. Absolutely not.

eddielizzard Tue 22-Mar-16 14:36:00

an imposition. i would not be happy with this.

ctjoy103 Tue 22-Mar-16 14:36:57

Yanbu, they need to sort all that out before you arrive. Very inconvenient for you.

AppleSetsSail Tue 22-Mar-16 14:39:23

That's annoying. I'd say no. Actually, I'd say yes and then be passive-aggressive.

We're embarking upon on our maiden AirBNB holiday tomorrow.

easterholidays Tue 22-Mar-16 15:11:10

Good luck AppleSetsSail! I messaged back and said we were hoping for a quiet break and would prefer for them to arrange for the neighbour to come another time, and they replied and said they understood and will make other arrangements. Phew! Thanks for giving me the courage of my convictions, Mumsnetters! flowers

Reapwhatyousow Tue 22-Mar-16 15:24:08

If it's a remote host my guess is they may have had over occupancy where the booking is for a maximum of xx and XXXX are squeezed in. It does happen but in that case they should arrange a meet and greet service. Have a lovely relaxing break, Airbnb is great if you pick a good listing and the mutual reviews are such a good feature. I'm a Superhost btw. Sorry couldn't resist.

Roussette Tue 22-Mar-16 15:31:36

I think the mutual reviews are a great thing and I use Air bnb lots. However, i was really disappointed on my last stay when I posted a 5* review and the owner didn't respond with a review for us. Instead she waited 2 weeks when apparently (didn't know this) reviews get posted on the host's profile anyway whether you do one for the guest or not.

It's put me off posting good reviews TBH as it goes against the whole "like for like" thing. A guest needs good reviews as much as a host does.

p.s. AFAIK we were model guests!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now