Not sure if I'm being UR or Not (animal welfare qu)

(20 Posts)
Panicmode1 Mon 21-Mar-16 08:50:47

Every day (during the week) there is a builder working on a house near me and he has his very large black lab confined in the back of his car. I walk past at least twice, usually three times a day walking my own dog, or taking my children to and from school and his dog is always in the back of the car. Obviously I'm not there all day so don't know whether he is walking the dog at all, and sometimes there is a food/water bowl on the floor by the door of the house, but I can't help feeling that this isn't a very happy situation for the dog. I was about to phone the RSPCA to ask whether they are happy about it, but I know that there are far worse things happening to animals out there so I'm not sure if I'm wasting their time....WWYD?

Soggybottomnighmareband Mon 21-Mar-16 09:21:15

He probably takes his dog to work so he can let it out when he has breaks, why don't you ask him.

shinynewusername Mon 21-Mar-16 09:23:30

So you want the dog to get left at home all day with no human interaction? He is probably popping out the the van constantly.

I would be concerned in hot weather, but not otherwise.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 21-Mar-16 09:24:00

Probably better than being left at home alone all day. Chances are he lets it out regularly. And the dog can probably see him or knows he is nearby.

My dog spends a lot of time in the back of my car when I am at the stables. I think he is happy.

NeedACleverNN Mon 21-Mar-16 09:25:34

It's a difficult one. He probably does let it out a lot but I would be concerned with the weather warning

Patterkiller Mon 21-Mar-16 09:26:46

My aunts Labrador loved their car boot. Even when at home with the book open she would snooze for hours. I really don't think it's an issue and would assume he's been let out and given water when needed.

Seeyounearertime Mon 21-Mar-16 09:29:02

I think the dog is lucky tbh. he could be left alone in a crate all day.
at least in the car he gets to see his human through the day. I bet the builders all know the dog and play with him too.

MrsJayy Mon 21-Mar-16 09:32:22

Oh i see a lot of dogs in vans sitting in passenger seats like the drivers mate seems sensible rather than leaving dogs at home all day im sure the builder is looking after his dog you said bowls were available

Panicmode1 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:47:35

OK, I will leave it! I am a fairly new dog owner and just thought that the dog looks really bored. It barely has enough room to lie down and I've never seen the builder talking to/interacting with it - the house is shrouded in waterproof covers so the dog can't see the owner (or the other builders) either. But obviously it's preferable to being home alone all day.

MrsJayy Mon 21-Mar-16 09:53:02

If you pass and the dog looks hot or uncomfy then of course say to the owner

shinynewusername Mon 21-Mar-16 09:55:57

My lab sleeps from about 8 am to 5 pm every day unless I drag her outside. Has done so from about 18m onwards. Dogs are naturally most active first thing and in the evening and sleep a lot during the day - think of wild dogs like hyenas.

PinkPjamas Mon 21-Mar-16 09:56:52

It's a difficult one because we're all aware of the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars.
However I have three dogs and two of them particularly actually really like being in the car. I work outside some days and (admittedly not since the weather got warmer) my 4 month old has come with me and I've left her obviously with the window down, in the car and she'll just curl up calmly and sleep-I'll let her out several times throughout the day but she doesn't always even want that, I think dogs know if they're in a car with their owner out somewhere, their owner is coming back and it makes them feel secure if that makes sense?

The other dog, too is always very excited to be in the car if I take her out anywhere with me and is often reluctant to get out of it.

If you're worried maybe get a bit friendly with the builder and steer conversation ask the dogs name and/or if you can pet him/her?

Panicmode1 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:57:50

My retriever would play all day....why didn't I get a sleepy one?!

MrsJayy Mon 21-Mar-16 10:00:58

My dog got up to pee at 7 and crawled back into bed he will get up in a bit demand breakfast then go to the top landing and sleep there

Panicmode1 Mon 21-Mar-16 10:10:13

If I ever see the builder, I will, PinkPJs, but he's always up a ladder or invisible when I walk past. I guess I have a strange dog - she doesn't really like the car and wouldn't tolerate sitting in a car all day!

PinkPjamas Mon 21-Mar-16 10:29:45

I hope you find a chance to smile
I'm very glad of how people are aware of the dangers of leaving dogs in cars in hot weather but, I sometimes think some people (not you btw as you asked and were just being concerned) get a bit too 'the other way' about it-I've had some mucky looks when returning to my car with a dog in it. I could be just being paranoid, I guess.

I remember fondly of my Dad's days as a builder with our large dog , he was with him all day usually in a pick up truck but often in the car and he was definitely a very happy dog, enjoyed the routine and the other builders loved him. There's nothing wrong with leaving a dog in a car per se, as long as conditions are okay and the dog is happy to be there and not distressed.

Dogs are all so different aren't they! I got our pup so young (1 week) and she is used to being in cars I guess from such a young age as she was back and forth to the vet a lot and I had to take her in the car with me often, but I've also known dogs really not like being in cars at all.

curren Mon 21-Mar-16 12:18:54

I know loads of builders who do this and the dogs are fine.

Our builder does it, but we have a secure garden so let the dog in there.

He is in and out of the van all day so I am sure the dog would be fine and he may do something else if it's really hot.

Panicmode1 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:11:12

Glad (for once!) to be told I ABU and not to have done anything about it. I guess I was judging by the standards of my own dog, and I know she wouldn't be happy in this situation, for many weeks on end (it's a huge build). But I guess if the dog in question is used to it, then there's no problem.

toolonglurking Wed 23-Mar-16 22:03:13

We got our puppy 6 months ago and she came to work with me everyday, and stayed in the car, I'd walk her in the morning, and two/three times throughout the morning take her out for a pee and to play, then we'd play together for an hour at lunch time, and then again two/three visits in the afternoon. When I finished with each day I'd take her for a little walk and play with her too.
It wasn't ideal, but only went for for a few months, now I'm on Mat leave, she's with me all day but probably gets less attention!

mineofuselessinformation Wed 23-Mar-16 22:13:17

I posted on your last thread about this!
My response still applies.
But, why have you started a new thread when you got lots of answers on the last one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now