WIBU or were these mums?Should I have said something?

(22 Posts)
poppetsocks Sun 20-Mar-16 22:11:47

Took my DS 7 to a swimming party today, he had a fantastic time playing on the floats shouting splashing, was a little loud shouting his friend sometimes but I didn't think any louder than some of the girls who were screaming when pretending to be chased by a shark grin anyway at the end my D's shouted his friend to come out and I was shocked to hear a couple of the other mums mimicking him in I thought quite a nasty way. I don't think they realised he was mine as they were doing it to me too and rolling their eyes in a fgs way. I thought it was a bit shock as surely kids aren't meant to be quiet and a bit of noise is expected at a swim party? Other mums during the party remarked how lovely they were all playing together. I'm definitely not someone who thinks their child can do no wrong and if I'd thought he was being rough or nasty or even too loud I would definitely have told him to calm down. I just feel a bit angry that these mums were so mean about a little boy having fun blush I didn't say anything but should I have? I did say to D's it looked like he had a great time but perhaps was a little loud, he looked confused and said we all were mummy. So is it me or them?

Ihangmyknickersontheline Sun 20-Mar-16 22:33:57

Definitely them! Bloody hell...how rude of them to mock your child! You were prob too shocked to say something at the time, it's only afterwards you think of how you could have wiped their smug smirks off!

NewNameNotTheSame Sun 20-Mar-16 22:35:32

It's them. I'd have definitely said something like "I know, awful isnt it, a little boy having fun at a party - what is the world coming to!" followed by one of their eye rolls.

CantChoose Sun 20-Mar-16 22:37:06

They sound horrible, I hope you push them in the pool next time ;)

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Mar-16 22:39:16

I can't believe you didn't say anything!

Vintage45 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:42:56

They were really nasty. Hindsight is a great thing isn't it? By the time you've ingested what went on your home... Well this is what I do anyway, most of the time.

poppetsocks Sun 20-Mar-16 22:52:12

That's exactly it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and then my mind started racing, thinking maybe he was being too shouty, I really didn't think so though. There were a couple of times I mouthed over to him to shhh a little when he was shouting over at his pal but other than that it was just kids playing normally. The way those mums mimicked him was just nasty I've never seen it before I sort of expected them to smile after or something like it was a joke but to me it was a look of dislike which did upset me a bit. I tried to be polite after with them as wouldn't have wanted my son to notice anything. I think if he'd have heard them and was upset it would have been different. Thanks for putting my mind at rest everyone flowers

Lurkedforever1 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:57:43

Even if his behavior had been unacceptable, punching people while you proudly told everyone what a spirited little chap he was, it's disgusting for adults to mimic a 7yr old, it should be the parent you take issue with. But considering it was just noise they were vile.

MintyBojingles Sun 20-Mar-16 23:01:52

YANBU, very rude of them, even if he was loud.

selly24 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:13:08

I would have said " I wonder where on earth his mother is?....Oh wait...., that's me!

Thunderbolt Sun 20-Mar-16 23:14:34

Wow, I think those women sound awful! Very very rude and cruel to mimic him. sad

I always think that screaming and shouting is normal and expected for childrens parties! They are excited and playing, if they can't scream and shout at a party then when can they?

poppetsocks Sun 20-Mar-16 23:15:16

I do wish I'd said something now sad I'm rubbish at confrontation but feel like I should have stood up for D's I wouldn't have wanted to spoil the birthday child's party though. I will send out a couple of death stares if I see them on the school run grin or maybe just totally blank them instead. grin

Aeroflotgirl Sun 20-Mar-16 23:16:59

How awful of them, some adults have never left the playground! I woukd have said actually he is mine, he us having a fantastic time like all of them! Stupid idiots!

Vintage45 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:18:13

I and most people are the same as you.. Once you've actually digested the fact that these women were nasty cows its too late.

Don't feel bad that you didn't "confront" feel good that it took you so long to get your perspective right on the situation.

selly24 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:22:16

Don't forget feel bad at not saying anything .
Easy tovthink up witty comebacks after the event.

Silence is golden. You didn't blow your top/ loose it and spoil the party. That's the main thing!

selly24 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:23:08

Edit out the word forget in above post! Sorry

Bluebird79 Sun 20-Mar-16 23:27:53

Can't believe how some women behave - why would do that to a 7 year old??

poppetsocks Sun 20-Mar-16 23:33:29

To be honest I was amazed at how good all the children were at this party. The swimming parties I used to go to would have somebody trying to grab your legs and pujll you under or trying to trap people under the floats they used to terrify the life out of me and to be honest I was dreading taking him. I thought I would be a nervous wreck but it was lovely, they were 'rescuing' each other from sharks helping them onto the floats pulling each other round and stuff all very sweet. Seems the kids were a bit more grown up than those mums in the end wink

poppetsocks Sun 20-Mar-16 23:52:48

Thanks to all of you. flowers

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 21-Mar-16 00:08:13

He was a bit loud, so what. He was an exited little boy at a swimming party.
Are their fucking Poppets so perfect.
Mimicing a child. I think they need to get themselves looked at.!!!!!!!.
You see thats a situation where I'd fume. Throthing from the mouth and viens would be coming out of my neck, but I wouldn't say anything as I wouldn't fuckin stop.
Oh I think you know my views all ready, but They were being unreasonable not you.

nippiesweetie Mon 21-Mar-16 00:14:11

They were BVU. I've seen a similar thing round here when the child had a non local accent. Some people never leave the playground.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 21-Mar-16 00:31:52

Exactly, Sweetie. Their children act more grown up. Some parents still think they're playing house with their little dollies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now