Do people ever give up ?

(15 Posts)
MegGriffin1 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:18:14

Asking stupid personal questions? I've been trying to conceive for 6 months and I'm getting worried. Obvs my DH and best mate know but I do not wash my dirty laundry in public so the world needn't know.
A friend of a friend told me last week she thought I was pregnant at Christmas (I wasn't) and asked me about it. I smiled and with a hint of annoyance said no I'm not pregnant. Said girl then goes on and on about how I wasn't drinking at Christmas. Later my best mate told me she saw girl in hairdressers a few days previously who had asked if I was pregnant ! Why an almost stranger to me is interested I do not know. Aibu to be quite put out by these ridiculously personal questions ?

MrsOlaf78 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:24:16

Oh it doesn't stop. If you have one they're even ruder about when you're having the next one. Good luck with ttc op.

MegGriffin1 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:27:53

FFs I'm leaving planet earth!

Chillyegg Sun 20-Mar-16 20:36:53

Yeah I didn't realise how many nosy opinionated fucker there when it comes to children and pregnancy.
Are you ttc?
Oh your a stay at home mum. ..weird face
Oh your going to work ...weird face
When will you have another? ...weird face.
People have a fucking opinion/interest on everything and it's a pain in the arse.

gameofhighchairs Sun 20-Mar-16 20:38:03

Tell them to mind their own damn business and be firm. Don't feel any shame. It's a pity that in 2016 women still need to fall back on baby talk to make conversation. God forbid we talk about the weather or current refugee crises. Hey your'e a woman - let me be your gynecologist for for ten minutes.
6 months is fine don't be worried flowers
It will happen - no matter what it will happen.
I have a DD and I get asked at least twice a week when I'm popping out another. Having one is the new having none.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:38:19

I think people say things without realising the upset they may cause.

I have a DS (2 years) and I had a miscarriage three weeks ago. Since it happened I have had three people light heartedly ask me when I'm going to have another baby and give my DS a sibling.

It hurts but I just remind myself they are just making idle conversation with no intention to cause upset.

It has however made me realise to never ask anyone about their baby plans as who knows what battles they are going through.

MamaLazarou Sun 20-Mar-16 20:40:26

God no, people don't stop. We have been TTC #2 for almost four years now and I have had three miscarriages. People never seem to tire of asking me when I'm going to have another baby and "don't leave it too late!". angry

MegGriffin1 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:42:53

Excuse the language but nosey bastards. I'm far from perfect but I have never asked anyone that crap. I feel like saying '4 times a week' since you're asking about my sex life

londonrach Sun 20-Mar-16 20:42:57

I hate the question...do you have any family. My answer is normally to mention dh, dm, df and dsis aNd hope they get the message. Usually this answer does but i sometimes i get a follow...no dc then, why not. Grrrr. Im pregnant at the moment with potential dc1 (vvvvvvvvvvvv happy but not counting any chickens). Dsis says the questions get worse when dc come. Yanbu op and keeping my fingers crossed for you. X

IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Sun 20-Mar-16 21:02:41

I am ttc and have fertility problems so we've been trying a long time. It is amazing the amount of people who don't realise how hurtful and intrusive that question can be.

I used to be polite but now it's been so long I've taken to being more direct
Random - "So are you going to have children then IsIt?"
Me - "maybe"
Random - "are you trying?"
Me - "trying? Are you asking if I'm using contraception? Or how often I shag my husband?"<confused face>
If they persist
Me -"are you purely asking how often we have sex or would you like to know positions. I quite like doggy..."

I have only resorted to the last one once. That stopped the questions sharpish, but I can be a cow when I've lost my patience and am hormonal from yet more fertility treatment that didn't work

Mumberjack Sun 20-Mar-16 21:13:20

I bloody hated the questioning and the comments. It took us 2.5 years to conceive our first pregnancy and it pissed me off no end - whether it was 'when are you having kids?' 'You'll know about xyz soon enough when you have kids', and my fave from bitch SIL 'you don't have kids so you don't understand'.

Maybe people think I'm uninterested in their family planning but I never ask people if they're trying for a baby because you never know what they're going through. Plus it's like asking about someone's sex life with their partner - it's private!

Faye12345 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:21:13

Feel your pain ladies. What if op had have been pregnant at xmas and had miscarried? People are clueless

DoJo Sun 20-Mar-16 21:37:22

I had two miscarriages in the space of 6 months, then fell pregnant with my son so ended up not drinking for the best part of a year before we actually told anyone that we were having a second. You could see people's smirks when I first started refusing alcohol, then as time passed and there was still no announcement, they started to wane a bit and lose confidence, so by the time we actually told people I was pregnant, everyone was completely confused and unable to speculate.
It did drive me mad that I could tell people were wondering, but at least most of them had the good sense to keep their suspicions to themselves. No good can come of asking someone outright, none at all, and I wonder what people think will happen when they do ask questions like this.

Jelliebabe1 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:11:54

Crikey I've just had babies after 12 years of being married guess how often we were asked when babies were coming??? I'd imagine they thought sooner than 12 years 15 grand and 3 ivf cycles......

MegGriffin1 Sun 20-Mar-16 22:51:52

flowers to all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now