To think this car should be off the fucking road by now?

(10 Posts)
theplatenexttome Sun 20-Mar-16 17:19:19

Posted once before on this subject - absolutely at the end of my tether with it!

Long story short - over the last 12 months or so we've had trouble with young guys using our road (and the road behind our house) as their personal hang-out area. One of the guys lives with his mother and sisters in a house on the latter road.

They smoke and deal weed (stashing it by our garages), race their cars up and down, drink, litter and generally act like massive twats. Police and council have been called by us and neighbours, but nothing ever seems to happen.

Around Christmas time a beaten-up looking car appeared behind our house in one of the parking spaces. Over the next few weeks it became apparent that the car was being used as a drop off/stash point for drugs. Again, police were called, however car still remained. I looked it up on the DVLA website and its tax had expired in late 2014, yet here it was, sitting on a public road. Finally, the car disappeared in Feb.

Last week (16th), I notice the fucking car is back. Parked in a different spot but still very much on a public road. It had a notice of destruction from the council on the back (dated 9th March), stating that the car was abandoned and in a state, therefore it was to be towed and crushed seven days later. Of course, it's obviously been bloody moved back to our road to stop this happening. I checked the DVLA website and it's still not taxed, and also now doesn't have an MOT.

Called the number on the destruction notice, and get an answer machine all day. Call the council switchboard and speak to a bored-sounding woman who takes all the details and says she'll "pass them on".

The car has not been taxed since 2014, MOT expired beginning of Feb, has been marked as abandoned, is a fucking state and being driven illegally and dangerously (even has a flat tyre now just to add to the classiness of the affair). WHY IS IT STILL ON THE ROAD? I'm genuinely asking, how has this managed to evade being towed/crushed? It was sitting behind our house for weeks without tax and clearly in no state to be driven. The police was aware of it because we reported it, as were the council.

I know this might seem like I'm obsessing, but these guys are causing us a lot of stress with their relentless anti-social behaviour, and this car is just the latest "fuck you" from them. We're planning on putting our house on the market in the next couple of weeks (not because of this, believe it or not) and I'm fucking furious that this heap of shit is sitting in the road with a flat tyre, drilled out locks and a destruction notice on the back.

Does anyone have any wise words on why this is taking so long to sort out? AIBU to think this should have been taken care of a long time ago?

Vintage45 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:23:28

I tend to think "calling" these establishments these days are a waste of time.

Write to them, it's down in black and white and they then "have" to deal with it.

Arkwright Sun 20-Mar-16 18:14:18

Could you let the remaining tyres down so they cannot move it and call DVLA tomorrow.

VitaSackvileVest Sun 20-Mar-16 18:19:31

spray paint the words "shit heap" on the windscreen.

tsonlyme Sun 20-Mar-16 18:27:20

Rath than 'shit heap', spray 'drugs stash'. It'll move pretty sharpish then, I reckon wink

TrinityForce Sun 20-Mar-16 18:30:29

yeah, spray paint the gang of druggies car, that'll help and won't get your windows smashed in at all

wasonthelist Sun 20-Mar-16 18:32:01

There seems to be zero enforcement now. Om my way to take DD back I saw a kid riding a trail bike with no plates, lights etc. The lights were red so he rode around them on the pavement. He obviously knows there's no chance he'll be caught or punished. I didn't think this was even an especially rough area.

SoupDragon Sun 20-Mar-16 18:34:09

Just phone the number on the destruction notice tomorrow when there is more likely to be someone in the office.

HairyWorm Sun 20-Mar-16 19:06:46

If you're not getting anywhere with you local council directly, try contacting your local councillor. I've found ours extremely helpful in the past.

theplatenexttome Sun 20-Mar-16 19:07:32

Might go and spray "shit heap" on the kid's face grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now