Aibu to consider not taking this job?

(14 Posts)
Moomoomango Sat 19-Mar-16 19:21:39

Back story 2 children - 1 and 4 , 4yo does 15 hours at pre school 1yo full time at home. I'm a full time mum and do all childcare housework laundry cooking and pre school runs. (Hubby can't pick up any of these roles)
I've been offered a job of 18 hours a week from home but sometimes off on site visits. Hours I can choose unless it's a meeting I must attend. I can have childcare help from my mum and mother in law Which I don't use much atm. We'd increase our income from about 1100 per month (no rent or mortgage as we own outright to pay and including child benefit) to 1800
I already find full time motherhood with two kids overwhelming at times. All the cooking, cleaning, laundry and juggling children - I think I'd struggle working on top iykwim? Am I being silly, is this a golden opportunity?

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 19-Mar-16 19:22:59

Why cant DH pick any of that up? Does he work away?

Moomoomango Sat 19-Mar-16 19:24:59

He's disabled with very basic movement in one arm so most chores very difficult x

daftbesom Sat 19-Mar-16 19:26:58

If your husband can't pick up any of the housework/laundry/ childcare etc then YANBU to hesitate. Is he away/ not capable, or just unwilling?

daftbesom Sat 19-Mar-16 19:27:58

Sorry, x-post.

Moomoomango Sat 19-Mar-16 19:28:27

Sorry should have said he's disabled with limited use of one arm so most housework too difficult

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 19-Mar-16 19:29:10

Could you afford a cleaner to come in to reduce your domestic workload? The chance to get back into work with those hours is a bit like hen's teeth.

redskytonight Sat 19-Mar-16 19:30:50

Presumably a lot of the time you would be working, would otherwise be spent just looking after your 1 year old? So if someone else does the looking after , it's not actually an extra job to pick up? And perhaps some of the extra income could be (am I the first person to suggest this?) used to pay for a cleaner so less housework to do?

I get that it's hard at the moment but I think in a year or so your DC will be older and it's won't be so exhausting and you'll regret passing on such a flexible job.

badg3r Sat 19-Mar-16 19:30:58

From the extra salary, could you afford a cleaner for an hour of two a week to help with some of the housework? Do you want to take the job or are you only considering it for financial reasons?

scarlets Sat 19-Mar-16 19:31:20

If you paid a weekly cleaner/ironing person you'd still be better off financially, but would have a slightly smaller burden.

rookiemere Sat 19-Mar-16 19:32:20

Why don't you give it a go?
You can always quit if it doesn't work out, but as you have childcare available from your DM and MIL nearby then it does sound as if it would be feasible.

TiredOfSleep Sat 19-Mar-16 19:39:53

Ignoring the obstacles, would you enjoy working and how are you with money, would you benefit from the additional?

I'd look into a cleaner. Even if you pay £100 a month and they do usual plus change the sheets etc, would really free you up.

Moomoomango Sat 19-Mar-16 19:46:37

We could hire a cleaner for a couple of hours yes good idea thank you ladies

sparkleface Sat 19-Mar-16 21:13:25

I think it's a great opportunity with that flexibility, so I would definitely give it a go. Having a bit of recent experience will help you if you want to take on some more hours when the kids are older too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now