To think about strike action to protest against academy plans in education?

(24 Posts)
HelloPossums Sat 19-Mar-16 12:38:23

Hi everyone,
After hearing and reading what the government's said about changing schools to academies, my question is this: AIBU to think (in my wildest dreams) about strike action?
We know the decision to change all schools to academies will affect teachers, children and parents, which is a lot of the population. We've had petitions so far, and people have spoken out in the media against (and for) academies.
Do you think organising a strike against turning all schools into academies is wise/would work/would be effective?!

(Sorry for the slightly disappointing and indecisive end to this call to arms - just putting my feelers out to see if I'm being totally crazy.)

Over to you Munsnetters - please tell me what you think and put me out my misery! smile

PS I'm sorry if by doing this I've opened up a whole new Pandora's box of contention blush (I don't mean to, I promise!!)

acasualobserver Sat 19-Mar-16 12:39:55

Are you proposing a general strike?

HelloPossums Sat 19-Mar-16 12:44:11

Yep - just curious to see if that would work? With the junior doctors' strikes, there were a lot of junior doctors who participated because they were unhappy with the situation affecting them (and their patients and profession etc.)

My feeling is that, because schooling and education affects so many people across Britain, a general strike would be an effective way of showing general viewpoints on the issue of academies. WIBU?

drivingmisspotty Sat 19-Mar-16 12:49:13

A general strike is a good idea I think. It appears to me that our current government are selling off our health and education services, starving local councils and destroying local democracy and expecting the young, disabled and vulnerable to take more than their fair share of cuts. This is not what I want our country to be and the general election is too far away. Further PEACEFUL action may be needed

rollonthesummer Sat 19-Mar-16 12:51:47

I think a general strike would be a very good think ASAP. Why the unions haven't suggested one, I have no idea?!

The unions have been surprisingly silent over the whole debacle!

acasualobserver Sat 19-Mar-16 12:53:24

The last general strike was in 1926 so I am doubtful about your chances. In any case, as long as parents' child-minding requirements are met, they will be perfectly happy with the new arrangements. As for teachers, few are in it for the long term - they won't strike for something that will happen after they've moved on to something better.

iwantbrewstersmillions Sat 19-Mar-16 12:53:33

God how many threads so we need on this. Try searching and posting on one of the many threads.

Kpo58 Sat 19-Mar-16 12:53:52

You could strike, but whether or not they will pay attention to it, is another matter.

If you could get schools where politician's children attend to close for a week or two, it might get their attention. The problem there would be if they are already attending an Academy or Private School...

Ickythumpsmum Sat 19-Mar-16 12:55:35

I am sure it would get attention, but not sure you would get the public support since it is the public who would be inconvenienced. Nobody would be able to go to work as they would have to stay home with their kids.

Also, since they are no longer fussed about employing people who have studied to become educators, maybe they'll just let any old person do the job while the teachers are on strike.

To really make a change, the whole nation would need to get together. It will be interesting to see iChat the mumsnetters think.

I am a teacher, but not in the UK and I think all schools becoming these Academies with no set curriculum is absolute madness. I really can't quite believe that they employing people who haven't studied education.

It seems like the government want a country of poorly educated people. Wonder why?

pigsinbutter Sat 19-Mar-16 13:04:36

There is a protest next Wednesday 5.30 outside Westminster/ houses of parliament.
I think this is just so dictatorial, the whole academies campaign has been shoddy since the start. No accountability for parents or teachers at all.
Hope to see you all there next weds!!

herecomethepotatoes Sat 19-Mar-16 13:33:42

aren't general strikes or 'striking in support' illegal?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 19-Mar-16 13:36:40

Yeah, like everyone on NMW can afford to go on strike hmm

HelloPossums Sat 19-Mar-16 13:39:48

@pigsinbutter the protest sounds like a good idea, thanks for posting about it smile

HelloPossums Sat 19-Mar-16 13:46:56

@herecomethepotatoes and @milktwosugars, I don't know about the ins and outs of organising strikes, so I don't know whether it's illegal or not.

I realise that strikes are not the most convenient option for many reasons, not to mention that it's very difficult for parents or anyone working or studying full time to take time off to strike, even with the support of their union.

I just had the idea after the junior doctors' protest and other strikes that I've seen and heard about, as I think they can be very effective. I suppose the best thing would be to get people's unions behind them, so the NUT for teachers, for example (if that would work). I think the protest that @pigsinbutter mentioned is a great way of drumming up public support, to start with smile

lurked101 Sat 19-Mar-16 13:52:41

Well as the academies policy wasn't in their manifesto, they didn't say anything about it prior to the election, I think a strike is the only way to exercise our democratic rights, if we leave it to the next election then it will be done and too difficult to un do.

Just like: " I cut the deficit, not the NHS" Dave has lied, and lied again. To the detriment of most people in this country to benefit his cronies with vested interests in public service companies. Stike now, or forever hold your peace.

herecomethepotatoes Sat 19-Mar-16 14:21:16

You can only strike in direct protest at your employer, unless your a) willing to break the law b) confusing 'strike' with 'protest'?

HelloPossums Sat 19-Mar-16 14:41:16

Oh God blush I'm so sorry, everyone. Just read your last post @herecomes and some of the others, and realised I did actually mean 'protest' or 'demonstration', not a strike. Sorry! This is entirely my fault. How easy is it to change the thread title? Gahh sorry - I never really post here (but nose around reading everyone else's threads instead wink)

lurked101 Sat 19-Mar-16 14:50:16

You can take in dustrial action against proposed changes to terms and conditions where negotiations are not working

As terms and conditions are under threat and no negotiations have taken place, it would not be breaking the law to strike.

OurBlanche Sat 19-Mar-16 15:02:26

Actually, as a member of the public, a 'citizen', you can take a day off work to make a point whenever you like. You can even organise it with a few mates, facebook it, get more support.

A general strike can be nothing to do with organised unions. It is simply a protest march, beefed up. It is not industrial action, it is a civil protest and has been done more recently than 1926...

OurBlanche Sat 19-Mar-16 15:03:41

Sorry... just realised I scrolled to the bottom without reading your last post smile

Sod it. Give us a date and let's strike grin

insancerre Sat 19-Mar-16 15:11:42

I've heard there are a lot of protests planned for 4th july

herecomethepotatoes Sat 19-Mar-16 15:20:47

"Actually, as a member of the public, a 'citizen', you can take a day off work to make a point whenever you like. You can even organise it with a few mates, facebook it, get more support."

Isn't that a protest on your day off.

"protest: a formal and solemn declaration of objection

I believe the difference is that you have to work for somebody to strike against them. It usually involves not working for that individual until your demands are met.

Anyone can protest anyone.

You always protest when you strike. You dont always strike when you protest."

OurBlanche Sat 19-Mar-16 15:23:03

Erm... yes, herecomethepotatoes, that was my point!

acasualobserver Sat 19-Mar-16 16:33:36

The OP has clarified that s/he did not mean to propose a general strike or any strike at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now