AIBU to remind you that there are real people on this forum

(109 Posts)
chelle792 Sat 19-Mar-16 07:50:56

Most things on MN go over my head. Nastiness, I ignore generally. Heated debates, I stay out of.

For the first time my bloody is literally boiling about something I've just read.

Please please remember there is a person behind the screen that you are talking to. Imagine a person close to the edge, a vulnerable person. Someone whose only means of support is to turn to mn.

I've had a hard time lately and have openly posted on here. Tbh, I only ever really post when I am feeling vulnerable. I have had nothing but support and understanding, thankyou

But, would you want to be the person responsible for tipping someone over the edge? Be nice people, please.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 19-Mar-16 08:08:11

Oh ok then hmm

Olddear Sat 19-Mar-16 08:11:16

Rightoconfused

Arfarfanarf Sat 19-Mar-16 08:11:31

Good luck. grin

It would be lovely if people were able to exchange views without getting personal, aggressive or defensive. Or downright spiteful! If they took a moment to think is it kind. Is it helpful. but it's precisely because they are all 'real people' that that's just not going to happen.
Real people arent all fair. Or nice. Or calm. Or reasonable. Most people are nice but even nice people can say something that is not nice sometimes. Again, because we are all real people and not perfect.

Some people are shits. Some are drama llamas. Some are merailers. Some are nice. Some are helpful. We have the full range.

If someone is not being nice on a thread then others can challenge that and often do.

If you have seen something posted that has really angered you i hope you challenged it because i am sure that would mean the world to the poster.

Figgygal Sat 19-Mar-16 08:12:25

I think I know what you're talking about and am totally with you op.

Thankfully that looks like a troll on that thread

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 19-Mar-16 08:13:01

I agree, I would never post for advice about anything sensitive on here as people are pointless spiteful

usual Sat 19-Mar-16 08:13:07

Call it on the thread then. People who post on MN need to be responsible for themselves. MN is just a chat forum, nothing more.

ctjoy103 Sat 19-Mar-16 08:13:45

But, would you want to be the person responsible for tipping someone over the edge?

That is nobody's responsibility except the person themselves if they do something harmful.

Sparklingbrook Sat 19-Mar-16 08:14:49

Unfortunately you can't tell people how or what to post. Hopefully MNHQ will deal.
The person you refer to will not be listening or taking note of your comments.

megletthesecond Sat 19-Mar-16 08:15:13

If its the one I'm thinking off they'll be zapped any moment now. Whoever it is has issues.

chelle792 Sat 19-Mar-16 08:15:38

I'm still happy in my little world where people are nice to each other and consider others feelings grin mn has somewhat destroyed that illusion

usual Sat 19-Mar-16 08:16:41

It would be nice if everyone on MN was lovely and supportive, but the internet is full of trolls and dickheads. You take that chance when you post on MN.

Sparklingbrook Sat 19-Mar-16 08:17:16

MN is not your little world. It's an internet forum.

kippersyllabub Sat 19-Mar-16 08:17:23

Yanbu. I've seen both extremes of behaviour here though: there are also people who go out of their way to be kind, helpful and supportive.

Sparklingbrook Sat 19-Mar-16 08:17:58

This is very much a TAAT.

Arfarfanarf Sat 19-Mar-16 08:18:51

Ive just found the thread you are talking about.

The abortion one?

What you are looking at there is a vile little troll.

I note the rest of the respondents were very supportive of the op and all came together, including you, to tear the nasty troll a new one.

I think that is actually a poor example of mners being unkind.

It is a great example of mners being very supportive and raging at one troll who is being a cunt.

ctjoy103 Sat 19-Mar-16 08:18:54

An no there isn't always a person sitting behind the screen, I would say a fair amount of trolls exist.

londonrach Sat 19-Mar-16 08:19:55

Op if concerned report someones comments to mnhq. Yes people can be very direct but this is an internet forum. I personally have found mn very useful and helpful on advice.

Sparklingbrook Sat 19-Mar-16 08:20:21

I agree with Arf.

chelle792 Sat 19-Mar-16 08:20:50

It's more a thread about millions of things I've read over the course of the past six months.

I guess you're right in that something I've read this morning is triggering something within me but it's not specifically about that

Savagebeauty Sat 19-Mar-16 08:21:16

Abortion troll is pathetic.
Blatantly trying to be outrageous with no argument.

usual Sat 19-Mar-16 08:22:53

The trolls won't care about your plea to be nice. They will think it's funny.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 19-Mar-16 08:23:27

There are nasty twats in real life.

There are nasty twats online whether they're lying about an emotive subject to get a response or dishing out vitriol.

Take it with a pinch of salt or ignore threads which get nasty.

KittyandTeal Sat 19-Mar-16 08:23:40

I don't usually get involved with these kind of threads, however, I think I have just seem the same and it's really hit home with me.

This place, despite its reputation, is utterly amazing at times. I have been bowled over by the kindness and support I have had from strangers who have invested so much helping and supporting me. I guess I'm an 'easy' one as baby loss is not so controversial (although tfmr can be I suppose)

It makes me sad that some can be attacked at such difficult times for them. I guess it's more that I don't understand trolling (although I accept it is part in an Internet forum and I've been taken in by a few)

Sparklingbrook Sat 19-Mar-16 08:23:58

'millions' ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now