To panic (bit tmi)

(16 Posts)
Squiff85 Fri 18-Mar-16 12:39:10

AIBU to be panicking? I do a tendency to worry!

I have the implant and its been working fine. Had reasonably regular bleeds, but all seemingly normal.

Anyway, I've since bled for 3 weeks. Mixture of blood&brown stuff. No blood during or after sex/no pain. Saw GP who had a look and could see discharge on my cervix and suggested a smear. She couldn't feel any lumps/bumps.

I am terrified, been googling (bad I know!) and all sorts is coming up - anyone had any experience of this at all?

Sorry its garbly, my head is a mess.

TheBouquets Fri 18-Mar-16 13:38:34

I don't really know much about the implant. Googling can be so bad and worry inducing for most people. For people who panic it gets too much.
Want to wish you all good luck for your tests

HackerFucker22 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:51:26

Have you not had a smear before?

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 18-Mar-16 13:53:24

I can only speak for my situation, but everything was fine on the implant at first, but then I bled about 3 out of every 4 weeks for a year until I had it taken out. I am fine and back to normal now.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 18-Mar-16 13:54:12

When was the smear?

I'd probably not worry too much - the implant can really mess up your periods.

bluebell8782 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:56:18

I've just been through the same thing although I don't have the implant. I'm on the pill but had been bleeding for three weeks. I had a smear and swabs taken. Results are that the bad bacteria, that we all have, had gone a bit mad and overtaken the good. Doc gave me a prescription to keep in the cupboard if it happens again as by the time the results came back the bleeding had ceased. I'm still waiting for the smear results so not fully confident that all is ok but the bacterial vaginosis seems to have been the likely cause.
Try not to worry - it's very likely something that can be sorted easily.

PinotEgregio Fri 18-Mar-16 13:58:20

I had the implant taken out after a couple of years. First year was OK, second year it got annoying. I kept a calendar, and the doc agreed to remove it after I explained I'd bled a total of 7 weeks out of the previous 8.

stupidlybroody Fri 18-Mar-16 14:03:43

I'm in my seventh year of having an implant and in my experience this sounds completely normal. The weird brown stuff is (as far as I know) completely normal. This is what my periods now are (sorry for tmi) and my friends who have the implant get the weird brown stuff too.

How long have you had it in for? Because over the last seven years my habits have varied quite a bit. When I first had it put in spotted/bled everyday for nearly 9 months. I was one of the unlucky ones! After that they settled into a pattern of a 'period' (Brown stuff) about once every 6 weeks for a few days. That carried on until my third year of the first one. I put on weight and I had no bleeding - I was so scared I was pregnant- but he GP said it was normal.

With the second implant I bled initially and then settled back into a 6 weekly pattern (I lost some weight) and its been pretty much like that since.

I do find that when it's getting near to expiry or just been put in things get a bit unsettled. And for me personally my weight can affect it too. In contrast, my friend is in her fourth year of using it and her periods stopped completely right up until she was due to get it changed (though it was still working).

I hope this helps a bit! I'd really try not to worry too much. They seem to be settled for a long period of time but they can be temperamental and give us a scare!

HumTiddlyTum Fri 18-Mar-16 14:05:37

I bled constantly when I had an implant. Try not to worry but get a smear to confirm.

Penguinepenguins Fri 18-Mar-16 14:17:50

Move away from the Google... Trust the GP smile

shovetheholly Fri 18-Mar-16 14:30:30

Please don't panic.

Disordered bleeding is really common, and there can be loads of causes, the vast majority of which are benign. You're doing all the right things in getting this checked out now because it's a damn inconvenient problem to have! But it's really, really common - loads of us on here have experienced it (like you, I bled right through the implant)- and it's really rare that it's caused by anything malign. If your username reflects your birthdate, then cervical cancer is really, really rare in your age group. You'd have to be incredibly unlucky to have it.

I am actually reassured that your GP is doing this because they sometimes miss out that step in diagnosing the cause of unusual bleeding. It suggests to me that you have a good doctor!

Danglyweed Fri 18-Mar-16 17:34:57

I bled nearly everyday for the first 11 months, the dr wanted me to take the pill to stop the bleeding hmm

queenoftheworld93 Fri 18-Mar-16 17:39:22

I bled every day on the implant after week 3 - it was awful.

Squiff85 Fri 18-Mar-16 17:54:36

Smear is next week. Thank you all smile

ateapotandacake Fri 18-Mar-16 18:01:46

How long have you had the implant? After 18 months apparently your cycle can change. The sexual health nurse that fitted mine told me?

smallspikyleaves Fri 18-Mar-16 18:10:28

i have not had it myself but I have had friends who have and they have bled on and off loads, its very common from what I have seen

I am sure its fine and down to your implant but its good you are getting checked out x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now