to have left baby DC in the house while I moved the car?

(14 Posts)
LadyPatience Fri 18-Mar-16 11:10:52

N/C as could be outable.

I live on a very busy road. The layout is such that I step out of my front door (mid very long terrace) onto the pavement, then the road (single track) with cars parked down the length of the far side of the road, then a stone wall. So basically you cannot get into your car on one side because it is flush to the wall. no other options to park.

My car has sliding doors plus is a people carrier, so I have a seat removed by the door on the 'road side' of the car so we can all climb in from the one side and I can strap all DC in (I have 4 under 6) while stood in the car.

My car is in the garage so I am borrowing my mum's car for the trip I needed to do today with the younger 3 DC (eldest at school) which is a regular 5 seater. She has 5 point harness seats for DC2 and DC3 already strapped into the car, one in the middle and one on the road side. these seats are a complete pain to fit so they stay in permanently as DM drives DC2 and DC3 to their swim class so it's logical to have them 'roadside'. Car was parked one house down from me.

So today I strapped DC4 (10 weeks) into their car seat and left them in my hallway with the front door open while I put DC2 and DC3 into the car. I then locked DC4 in the house, drove the car to the bottom of the road (about 10 houses down), turned the car in the turning space and parked up on the pavement outside my house (this is standard practise on my road for offloading stuff because of the parking situation so as not to block traffic, the pavement is wide enough for a car to fully park on it) to load DC4 into the car.

The neighbours from a few houses down happened to be on the street and saw what I did and gave me a lecture about how irresponsible I was to leave the baby in the house alone and 'drive off' (note, they had seen the whole episode so it was clear what I was doing and why).

Now to my mind I did the most sensible thing - I couldn't physically get DC4's car seat in with the car parked because of the wall. If I had reparked the car far enough from the wall to open the door enough to get the seat in I would have blocked traffic. DC4 was safely strapped into a car seat in the house (no dogs or other pets or other children in the house). I was 'gone' less than 2 minutes, probably more like 1 minute.

So WIBU to leave DC4 in this situation? as a one off as it's not my usual car? I didn't even think 'should I? shouldn't I?' - it seemed obvious to me!

Sorry its long, trying to give a full picture of the layout etc so as not to dripfeed!!

Ceeceecee Fri 18-Mar-16 11:13:06

You were fine. And it's that kind of unnecessary intervention that makes parenting even more stressful than it needs to be.

dementedpixie Fri 18-Mar-16 11:13:31

Sounds like a sensible solution to me

Nan0second Fri 18-Mar-16 11:14:06

It's what I would have done. You put the child in a safe secure place for 2 minutes... Like you would if going to the loo / shower.
I would smile, nod and ignore.

WorraLiberty Fri 18-Mar-16 11:17:42

Do you suffer from anxiety?

If not, you really need to learn to eye roll at people like your neighbour.

SistersOfPercy Fri 18-Mar-16 11:20:29

Your neighbour needs to wind her neck in. By your 4th you're supermum. Don't worry about her flowers

MartinaJ Fri 18-Mar-16 11:21:07

You were completely NBU. A sensible solution from your side and just some nosy meddling neighbours with nothing else to do on their hands.

LadyPatience Fri 18-Mar-16 11:21:21

I do have some anxiety related to road and car safety due to a family accident.

It was more one of those moments where I hadn't even thought 'maybe I shouldn't do that' and when someone has then, very forcefully, told me I had been irresponsible my brain starts spinning wondering if I'd missed a really obvious risk/other solution!

Plus I don't want my neighbour thinking I'm an irresponsible parent really!!

LadyPatience Fri 18-Mar-16 11:27:12

sisters i do worry that my standards have relaxed too much now i'm onto number 4!!!its like the polar opposite of being PFB!

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Fri 18-Mar-16 11:27:47

Well if she is so concerned she can stand guard over your baby while you turn the car round.

Make sure you need to do this at least 6 times including a midnight trip for cheese. wink

But then I in a mardy mood cos my back hurts and it's spoilt my plans.

Allnamesaretakenffs Fri 18-Mar-16 11:41:44

Meh, you were fine. Morons will always like to stick their noses in when they don't know the full story. I have to leave my young children in the house (asleep) when I walk down our long driveway to get the bins. Same thing. People like that don't know shit smile

zzzzz Fri 18-Mar-16 11:45:21

I once left sleeping 18 month old dd1 in the car and walked an amazing dangerous 30 feet down the road to buy a ticket for parking and some twunt felt the need to tell me "You shouldn't leave babies locked in the car, I've seen babies die like that" confused......I ignored him but spent the rest of my trip wondering HOW MANY babies he had watched die in cars while their mothers bought parking tickets grin

Some people are illogical twunts. You were fine, in fact sensible.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 18-Mar-16 11:46:06

What does she think will happen to a baby strapped into a car seat, left alone for 2 minutes??

Honestly, some people. YWNBU.

ilovesthediff Fri 18-Mar-16 11:46:43

I think you were sensible and responsible. So, um, mouth stuff at her house for a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now