To not know if I'm in labour?

(25 Posts)
hawaiibaby Thu 17-Mar-16 14:44:59

Did anyone's labour start with crazy pelvic pressure? I feel like a dumbass for not knowing if I'm in labour or not (am 39+4) but last time I was induced so am a bit clueless. As well as the pressure, I am having similar pains to DS's labour early on, not completely regular contractions but increasing in intensity a bit and making me catch my breath and stop moving. However when I sit down I don't seem to get them - just very mild niggles - but do if I'm stood or moving.

This makes me think it can't be things starting. But also have lower back ache. Does it sound like a false alarm or maybe the early stages? I really wanted to go into labour naturally but can't believe I might be as silly as it sounds so can't bring myself to believe! grin

Cornettoninja Thu 17-Mar-16 14:51:29

I think you might be. I was induced as well but the memory is still fresh smile

I think this bit can last a while though - good luck!

curren Thu 17-Mar-16 14:56:46

I was induced with my first so pretty clueless with my second.

Mine started as lower back aching. Even when sat or laid down.

That ache then started getting worse for a few seconds at a time and they her into contractions.

I was laid on my side in hospital (in for something else and happened to go into labour) when my waters broke. I felt it but it didn't trickle out so I finished my page, stood up and they gushed all over the floor. blush

hawaiibaby Thu 17-Mar-16 15:31:46

Thanks both. Back pain is constant, even when sat down and contractions (if that's what they are...) have started when sat. They are pretty irregular though, but does seem like this could be the start, eek!

Not quite ready but essentials done and I guess everything else can wait. I work freelance so am now hurriedly trying to finish a piece of work while DH hoovers!

fibrecruncher Thu 17-Mar-16 15:38:03

I thought I had wind for the first few hours of my labour, I then went to sleep, had a good nights rest and was woken up at 5am with an almighty contraction and my show. Went back to sleep for a few hours somehow and had breakfast then it all started again. I had a tens machine and by the time I made it to hospital at 5pm that day I was 9cm dilated, so sometimes it's hard to tell smile

OohMavis Thu 17-Mar-16 15:42:22

Just be aware that there's a thing called Prodromal Labour, which I only discovered the name for a couple of weeks ago! I had it with DD.

I had proper contractions for three days that would only start once I was nice and snug in bed about to fall asleep. Each time I'd think yep, this is it, and start timing them - five minutes apart regular as clockwork. Off I'd go bouncing on my ball and wondering when to call the midwives out (homebirth) and by 6am poof, gone. Repeat for three nights before I actually progressed anywhere.

Only mentioning because I wish someone had told me what it was. Hope it's the real deal for you grin

onecurrantbun1 Thu 17-Mar-16 15:43:07

I've just had my third baby and gone into labour naturally each time. This time I just felt a bit off it, odd contractions and a bit of a show - went to get checked out at DH's insistence and was 8cm dilated... so I think watchful waiting is the way forward, you'll know soon enough!

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 17-Mar-16 15:46:39

With two of mine I had totally silent labors and that's exactly what I mean luckily I was already in hospital at the time .

Nobody will mind you going to be checked out

Lweji Thu 17-Mar-16 15:48:44

I had something like that for 24 hours before my waters broke. Even then, I was only a few cm dilated and it took another 12 hours.

hawaiibaby Thu 17-Mar-16 15:51:45

went to get checked out at DH's insistence and was 8cm dilated...

Holy shit! That is definitely a point for watching waiting.

oohmavis thanks for the warning. It is all so start-stoppy and I also can't believe I'm early (albeit only a few days) after going OD last time so I'm glad you mentioned it, I didn't really know about false starts once contractions actually began to intensify. If so, at least the hoovering's got done grin Congratulations on your DD!

GPs are heading over in case (they were due tomorrow anyway for babysitting for final scan and cons apt. and as I think I might need to go in earlyish due to previous bad tear and fairly speedy labour I thought best to err on caution as they're 40 miles away. Hope we're not wasting their time!

This pregnancy has gone stupidly fast with having DS already, I don't think it's actually hit me I am Having. A. Baby. Possibly imminently! grin

hawaiibaby Thu 17-Mar-16 16:06:50

lweji that would suit me quite well. Chance to finish my work, get some sleep and have a last supper grin (though I know it must have been mega frustrating to only be 2cm after all that) flowers

Lweji Thu 17-Mar-16 16:09:09

Yeah, except I couldn't sleep or eat, really. confused

hawaiibaby Thu 17-Mar-16 16:13:06

Oh I'm sorry. If it's any consolation the only reason I say that is because I didn't sleep at all before being induced through excitement (what a wally) and then was so vommy throughout all of my labour I had zero energy... hence thinking I needed a square meal to start off with this time!

Lweji Thu 17-Mar-16 16:15:24

Pethidine, on the other hand, is your friend. grin

hawaiibaby Thu 17-Mar-16 16:28:32

grin Thanks, I'll be sure to all over it!

Lilliput Fri 18-Mar-16 07:37:05

Any update?

Jengnr Fri 18-Mar-16 07:50:04

I had a section with my first so I had these feelings. Had contractions and pains and stuff for a couple of weeks before. Every time I thought 'is this it?' and it wasn't.

I had a sweep at 39+3 and was booked in for inducton on my due date. Had a show over the next couple of days and woke up in labour at 39+6. I knew because there were more contractions than before.

Lndnmummy Fri 18-Mar-16 08:00:04

Good luck! Hoping all goes well OP

hawaiibaby Fri 18-Mar-16 08:03:45

Thanks all for your insights.

Baby boy born last night at 1045. I'm still so surprised! All very speedy once we got to hospital, he was a whopping 9lb 12oz so am glad he wasn't late! shock

Both of us doing fine and am looking forward to introducing him to his big bro later grin

Catsize Fri 18-Mar-16 08:06:09

grin Congratulations!

GreatFuckability Fri 18-Mar-16 08:08:47

ah congratulations!!! glad it all went smoothly. I remember being shocked at how fast my second labour was after the marathon that was my first, didn't seem real for ages!

conkerpods Fri 18-Mar-16 21:58:59

Congratulations!And so quick.

Lweji Fri 18-Mar-16 22:50:43

Awww.
I missed it this morning.
Congratulations flowers

hawaiibaby Sat 19-Mar-16 01:03:10

Thanks everyone smile home now with sleepy feeds and cuddles. And caffeine, must. Have. Caffeine brew

grumpysquash3 Sat 19-Mar-16 01:11:51

Congratulations! Enjoy the sleepy feeds and cuddles.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now