To think you don't vape in a waiting room full of pregnant ladies?

(74 Posts)
QuestionableMouse Thu 17-Mar-16 10:17:26

Just been to my sister's scan. While we were waiting a couple came in. The 'gentlemen' (and I use that term very loosely) either had his hand in a huge bag of crisps or was vaping. We went in just after he came in but I wish I'd said something! AIBU?

AuntDotsie Thu 17-Mar-16 10:24:41

It's not good form, no, but unlikely to have caused any harm to anyone. Exhaled vapour contains pretty much zero nicotine and there's nothing else (to my knowledge) that could harm anyone in most liquids.

Still, rather insensitive of the bloke!

I vape, but I don't usually do it where I wouldn't smoke although I may stealth vape in the loos at times. I find it keeps the peace.

Branleuse Thu 17-Mar-16 10:25:32

I wouldnt worry about it

Buzzardbird Thu 17-Mar-16 10:27:52

Do they allow vaping in hospitals then?

WorraLiberty Thu 17-Mar-16 10:28:20

He either had his hand in a huge bag of crisps or was vaping? confused

Was he inhaling the crisps?

DropYourSword Thu 17-Mar-16 10:35:06

Wouldn't bother me...but...

either had his hand in a huge bag of crisps or was vaping
Huh? They are two very different activities. How can they possibly get mixed up?

springydaffs Thu 17-Mar-16 10:48:35

practically zero secondhand effect. Plus if a vaper re-inhales, no steam at all.

AliceInUnderpants Thu 17-Mar-16 10:50:45

If it is permitted, why shouldn't he?

frikadela01 Thu 17-Mar-16 10:52:17

I'm suprised that's even allowed. Vaping isn't allowed in any of the hospitals in my area including the one I work in where they are banned on any of the hospita grounds.

Totesgawjushun69 Thu 17-Mar-16 10:53:39

Don't see a problem.

VertigoNun Thu 17-Mar-16 10:55:51

Is all research in them, I thought the jury was still out?

Janeymoo50 Thu 17-Mar-16 10:56:50

How rude not to share his crisps.
Vaping in an enclosed space like that is simply bad manners.
(Still not sure how the two are confused however 😊).

magimedi Thu 17-Mar-16 10:58:48

I am a vaper & there is no way I would do that. Very rude & inconsiderate.

But I'd like to know how to vape crisps!!

BeautifulLiar Thu 17-Mar-16 11:00:01

I think she means he was alternating between eating the crisps and vaping.

DH vapes all the time around me. The noise is annoying as fuck! But I don't moan about it cos 'real' smoking is so much worse

BeautifulLiar Thu 17-Mar-16 11:00:31

He'd never do it in a waiting room or whatever though

MushroomMama Thu 17-Mar-16 11:01:29

Someone sat next to me on a packed bus and exhaled the biggest cloud of sickly strawberry yack.

Yanbu

AuntDotsie Thu 17-Mar-16 11:03:52

VertigoNun

No, I'm not sure you could ever reach a status of all research possible having been done. There are all kinds of studies being put forward and criticised from all sides all the time. You have to make the best decision for you with the information available to you at any given time. What convinced me most, however, is this graphic. And also keeping up to date with Dr Farsalinos here.

QuestionableMouse Thu 17-Mar-16 11:08:40

Sorry, I meant he was alternating between stuffing his face and vaping.

Not a huge fan of vaping to be honest- some of the flavours smell really awful to me. His seemed to be a fake strawberry/fruit smell.

AuntDotsie Thu 17-Mar-16 11:08:56

Magimedi - But I'd like to know how to vape crisps!!

Hangsen do a Baked Potato grin Slight downside - it's Hangsen, blegh!

VertigoNun Thu 17-Mar-16 11:09:02

Thanks. I struggle with air fresheners etc.

QuestionableMouse Thu 17-Mar-16 11:09:53

I also have problems with strong scents!

Kajamite Thu 17-Mar-16 11:20:49

When ny morning sickness was really bad the vapour smell would set me off like nobody's business. No matter what flavour it was!

So YANBU at all, the smell is quite strong and it's just generally inconsiderate to be blowing clouds in such a small area.

AuntDotsie Thu 17-Mar-16 11:21:43

Yes, air fresheners, strong scents - all potentially annoying and irritating (medical conditions excepted etc.). I can't stand Chanel perfumes either.

But vaping, depending on whose research you believe, is far, far better than smoking. You might not like a cloud of fake strawberry, but it's highly unlikely to kill you or the person vaping it. And that's the crux of the matter for most vapers who are, predominantly, ex-smokers.

Still doesn't make vaping in a hospital waiting room the right decision though IMO. I get the argument some vapers make about it not being harmful and, if strong odours are the problem, lots of people wear too much perfume/have BO/eat smelly soups etc. But to me, it doesn't feel right doing it in enclosed places in public. Especially not around potentially anxious pregnant women. So outside it is, for me, for the most part.

MackerelOfFact Thu 17-Mar-16 11:22:19

It's not much worse than someone spraying perfume in the vicinity is it really? I don't think it would have done anyone any harm, and they may well have been anticipating bad news and needed a distraction.

You're probably not allowed to vape in hospitals though so on those grounds alone YANBU. Nothing to do with the pregnant women.

VertigoNun Thu 17-Mar-16 11:27:20

You vapour could kill me, as the strong smells do affect my autonomic system which could cause a faint and people who faint can bang their head and die. Pregnancy can cause many more sustainable to faints.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now