to almost vomit everytime I swallow gaviscon?

(32 Posts)
iamdivergent Wed 16-Mar-16 20:27:06

6mths pregnant and been in heartburn hell for about the last 10wks. Been taking the tablets but was in chemist earlier when pharmacist told me I can get the liquid on minor ailments - great, or so I thought. Just went to have some and oh God nearly brought everything back up - it's horrible hmm the consistency, the taste, the after taste - back to the tablets I think unless I can get DH to squire it down the back of my throat, if I can find the old medicine syringe envy <<<sick face

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Wed 16-Mar-16 20:30:20

If you are talking about the aniseed flavour one YANBU. It is vile stuff.

The mint one is ok though. I used to swig it from the bottle when pg.

Zaurak Wed 16-Mar-16 20:30:24

If it's that bad then gaviscon isn't working for you. Ranitidine is your best bet.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:31:22

mint one is better, used to carry 500mk bottle in my bag when pregnant

athousandsplendidsuns Wed 16-Mar-16 20:31:23

I agree, only the mint is bearable.

VeryPunny Wed 16-Mar-16 20:31:42

By the middle of both pregnancies I had graduated to swigging it straight from the bottlegrin The bottle alone makes me heave now.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:32:23

peptac mint isn't bad either

iamdivergent Wed 16-Mar-16 20:32:56

This is the mint one blush it's a massive bottle as well, not actual gaviscon but the cheapo equivalent so maybe the real deal tastes better?

seasidesally Wed 16-Mar-16 20:33:29

oh god i remember it well with my twins
just the same made me gag terrible
ended up with chewy tablets
hope you find something that works

watchingthedetectives Wed 16-Mar-16 20:33:34

Fruit flavoured Rennies if they still make them win hands down - a bit like a chalky refresher!

wonkylegs Wed 16-Mar-16 20:34:22

Yep I think it's time to see your MW/GP about getting prescription Ranatidine. It was a lifesaver for me, I'm now 32wks and needing to suppliment with gaviscon but it's not so heave inducing.

Threefaries Wed 16-Mar-16 20:35:05

Yuk, it's awful. I take a tspn of bicarbonate. It's really effective for me but I'm sure that others would find this yuk too smile

bastedyoungturkey Wed 16-Mar-16 20:35:26

I hate gaviscon. The texture is awful. Rennies are much better.

Northernlurker Wed 16-Mar-16 20:36:33

The GP prescribed it for me with dd3 when I was suffering with pregnancy sickness. I took one mouthful and vomited copiously in the kitchen sink. Dh was upset I wasn't taking it as he thought it would help and was desperate for me to feel better. So I told him to take some. 1 spoonful and he nearly chucked up too - without the excuse of being pregnant! The bottle went in the bin after that.

Threefaries Wed 16-Mar-16 20:36:34

Not neat I must add, it's dissolved in a little water. I follow with a nice drink.

Buzzardbird Wed 16-Mar-16 20:38:23

Chill it as much as you can, more bearable.

beeny Wed 16-Mar-16 20:41:00

I use to swig it straight from bottle when i was pregnant ! Never had it since !

GothicRainbow Wed 16-Mar-16 20:41:58

Get a prescription for ranitidine from your GP, I was really struggling with reflux and heartburn, could barely eat without being in a lot of pain and it's helped me so much!

Isthereeverarightime1 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:42:41

I agree, I went to hospital once really struggling with breathing and they insisted I had heart Burn it was a chest infection diagnosed by dr the next day confused and they gave me a huge dose and said I had to have it then a nd there and every time I swallowed some it came back up sad and blush it was horrible stuff, stick to tablets if you can

TattyDevine Wed 16-Mar-16 20:45:42

Ooh I love a bit of Gaviscon aniseed original. Like a poor sick man's Sambucca! grin

If your heartburn is really bad you could see if you could get a PPI (proton pump inhibitor like Omeprezole). Not trying to NHS-upsell you though grin

There is a thick viscous and slightly salty and alkaline quality to antacid liquids that reminds me slightly of stuff I don't always want to swallow, in all honesty, though, so YANBU wink

TattyDevine Wed 16-Mar-16 20:47:13

HAVE YOU BEEN MISSOLD PPI BY TATTY DEVINE (sorry, watch too much daytime TV)

iamdivergent Wed 16-Mar-16 20:49:31

Tatty grin

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 16-Mar-16 20:50:18

The chewy tablets are much better. Gaviscon is just about the most horrible texture that anyone will ever expect you to ingest.

teatowel Wed 16-Mar-16 20:51:34

Mint is horrible ,aniseed is much better. I have swigged it from the bottle for years and years until I was diagnosed with a hernia, and given the tablets that are- according to some research- apparently going to give me dementia. So much to look forward to!

seasidesally Wed 16-Mar-16 20:53:10

. Like a poor sick man's Sambucca! grin ha ha ha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now