how to stop a tickly cough

(21 Posts)
WorthMoreThanThat Mon 14-Mar-16 21:09:39

Please wise mumsnetters. I've coughed for hours none stop. The most annoying tickly cough I have ever had its nearly making me sick. I want to go to bed and sleep but I know I have zero chances of sleep while
coughing every 3 seconds. All I am going to achieve by going to bed is waking both children with my annoying persistent coughing!!!! Please help meeeeeeee. I have no honey.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 14-Mar-16 21:12:25

Water, lots of. GP once told me to overhydrate myself to clear a tickly cough, and it works. I have the same tonight so you have my sympathy.

McSnuff Mon 14-Mar-16 21:13:08

Hot Ribena is good, but the absolute best is hot orange squash. No need for honey/lemons etc, just hot water in any old orange squash. Gives you a chance to get to sleep/

Archiesnan Mon 14-Mar-16 21:16:08

I'm just getting over flu and also have a irritating cough. I've been putting Vicks on the soles of my feet and it works.

Getyercoat Mon 14-Mar-16 21:19:51

Codinex.

londonrach Mon 14-Mar-16 21:21:54

Buttercup syrup!!!!!!!!!

londonrach Mon 14-Mar-16 21:23:45

Seriously..... www.amazon.co.uk/Buttercup-Cough-Mixture-Syrup-Original/dp/B001E1CVPG

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 14-Mar-16 21:25:36

I have been coughing a lung up today so watching this thread. I am on herbal tea and lemsip capsules.

WorthMoreThanThat Mon 14-Mar-16 21:32:25

Cup of warm orange drank, Vicks on the feet and I'm hoping I'm set for a peaceful sleep. Will be taking a trip to boots in the morning if tonight's sleep is anything like last nights

edwinbear Mon 14-Mar-16 21:37:16

Diagnosed with bronchitis this morning. Dr said honey and lemon in hot water but it's had zero effect, so I'm also watching with interest!

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Mon 14-Mar-16 21:37:35

Suck a square of chocolate. It will coat you throat and the irritated bits and stop the coughing. Trust me - this works!
Note - it is not necessary or wise to consume a whole bar to prove the point! grin

WorthMoreThanThat Mon 14-Mar-16 21:40:48

Chocolate sounds good. I did find some soothers, was hopeful it would stop the tickle. I feel as if something helped for the previous ten minutes although now I'm in bed it's back to the coughing party...

PastaLaFeasta Mon 14-Mar-16 21:46:21

Sugary Coke is working here. I gave my DC some piriton out of desperation and it seemed to help - just make sure it's not the non drowsy stuff.

Clawdy Mon 14-Mar-16 21:48:54

Sacking Strepsils gives a bit of relief, but it's only temporary. Poor you,it's a nightmare,I had it for weeks and weeks, only just stopped. Someone said Pholcadene is the best cough medicine, usually available from the pharmacy in Boots.

SilkObsidian Mon 14-Mar-16 21:50:08

Codeine

londonrach Mon 14-Mar-16 21:51:44

Square of chocolate soaked does work too. Did i mention buttercup syrup... 😉

londonrach Mon 14-Mar-16 21:52:30

Sucked not soaked!!!

carolinemoon Mon 14-Mar-16 22:00:31

Codeine definitely- I think nurofen plus has the highest dose for an over the counter medicine.

Only thing that really works for me at night.

If it is a persistent tickle/post nasal drip type thing then also try a nasal antihistamine (beconase) and irrigation (e.g NeilMed rinse) to get rid of the cause.

bumbleymummy Mon 14-Mar-16 22:02:52

I've heard chocolate works as well. Also pineapple juice maybe? Can't remember where I read that!

Victoriaplum79 Mon 14-Mar-16 23:52:39

Every time you get the tickle take a sip of water/juice it helps to clear the post nasal drip
I can sympathise the last time I had this I was coughing so hard it was making me vomit, not nice at all
Also can take weeks and weeks to go away but should slowly improve over time
Oh will get worse when lying down so prop upright with pillows too

Get well soon

Fractiousfractions Mon 14-Mar-16 23:57:28

Codeine is the stuff you want if it's really bothering you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now