to find traffic reports insensitive?

(19 Posts)
cornishglos Mon 14-Mar-16 17:42:54

The cheery way they announce car crashes on the traffic reports on the radio always bothers me. Anyone else?

wasonthelist Mon 14-Mar-16 17:44:11

No. Yabu.

ShowOfHands Mon 14-Mar-16 17:45:25

FIL was in an accident. The radio was the only thing still intact. As they cut him out, Lynne Bowles was cheerfully narrating the traffic chaos around him. He was cheered no end.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 14-Mar-16 17:46:10

Yabvu. Most of those crashes will be minor shunts anyway.

People need to know what's going on with traffic, or there would be massive congestion.

wasonthelist Mon 14-Mar-16 17:50:22

I think the traffic reports aren't cheerful anyway, but wondering what changes would suit the op

AlpacaLypse Mon 14-Mar-16 17:51:03

I've never noticed any of the traffic announcers on the radio being anything other than matter of fact when they're actually reporting. The 'banter' is always at the beginning or end. Same when occasionally the news, weather and sports reporters will exchange comments with the presenter just before or after their bulletin.

CosyNook Mon 14-Mar-16 17:55:40

What would you suggest OP?

WorraLiberty Mon 14-Mar-16 18:00:14

I understand what you're saying, but they're supposed to be reports, not heartfelt stories.

Obviously their purpose is just to report on the traffic and that includes telling people why a road is closed/there's tailbacks etc.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 14-Mar-16 18:00:46

our local presenter has berated listeners reminding then that if they think it is bad, they are only late for work, other people have had life changing injuries or lost lives.

coffeeisnectar Mon 14-Mar-16 18:13:53

Perhaps they could be read with some sombre music in the background.

Yabu. My dp was in an accident which closed a main road for four hours. I didn't take any notice of the traffic reports at the time but presume it stated road closed because of an accident. Not sure what we else they could say tbh.

MrsDeVere Mon 14-Mar-16 18:14:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornishglos Mon 14-Mar-16 18:16:10

Lynne Bowles! Happily declaring 'a major pile up' in a sing song voice. I wondered if she could say 'hope everyone's ok' or something. Or at least sound less happy.

ShowOfHands Mon 14-Mar-16 18:19:41

She sounds very serious if it warrants it. Usually she's just matter of fact. Perhaps you just don't like her voice and you're extrapolating. I'm the same with Jo Whiley. She just sounds like she's smirking all the time.

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 14-Mar-16 18:22:12

Perhaps they could be read with some sombre music in the background
For some reason this reminded me of Simon Bates' Our Tune music and that made me laugh blush we all used to crowd in to the 6th year common room to listen to it when it was on the radio

Sorry OP I think YABU. They are traffic reports. If they start adding in comments where would it stop? Would they have to sympathise if there is flooding or road blocks?

GooseberryRoolz Mon 14-Mar-16 18:31:28

For some reason this reminded me of Simon Bates' Our Tune music and that made me laugh

grin sad blush

Did you have to share that couch? smile

Now I feel like I'm giggling in church.

RB68 Mon 14-Mar-16 18:36:10

Don't ever listen to local radio in Ireland then - Births Deaths Marriages all treated the same was the highlight of my day when we were over there

coffeeisnectar Mon 14-Mar-16 18:36:48

Our tune was Brilliant. Always so sad sad

I was thinking more along the lines of some depressing classical music.

Imagine the flood reports. "Sending sympathies to Mrs Jones who will be spending all day in wet socks"

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 14-Mar-16 18:39:48

Gooseberry not only did I have to share it. I had to Google it and then listen to it, to remind me of how tragic it all was. I had to find one with Simon's voiceover. It just wasn't the same with an instrumental version sad grin

Disclaimer - I have not listened to the complete Our Tune below so I have no idea how tragic or triggering it may be

Simon Bates Our Tune 1991

BackforGood Mon 14-Mar-16 18:55:29

YABU. Well, maybe it depends on what station you are listening to, but all the stations I listen to just matter of factly report what they know. It's a very helpful / useful service.

Lol at Simon Bates 'Our Tune' music grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now