Should I worry? WWYD?

(19 Posts)
Fizzielove Mon 14-Mar-16 09:33:59

My DS who is 9 is constantly complaining of pains in his legs and groin. He doesn't play any contact sport like football or rugby so I can see no reason for it. This morning he got up and he hobbling around and is now also saying his shoulder is sore. He is a bit of a drama queen IYKWIM. What should I do? Is this normal growing pains? Or should I be taking him to the Dr? It's not all the time tho so I know if I book an appointment then that day he will be fine!

WWYD?

EatShitDerek Mon 14-Mar-16 09:36:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 14-Mar-16 09:37:33

Based on the symptoms you have described, I would be taking him to the doctor yes. I am not one for going unless absolutely necessary, but these symptoms would concern me enough to check

BrioLover Mon 14-Mar-16 09:38:35

Vit D deficiency? I'd take him to the doctor TBH.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 14-Mar-16 09:39:57

It's hopefully nothing but DN had perthes disease and it started very similarly

Choughed Mon 14-Mar-16 09:41:47

Take him to the doctor. If it's nothing it might teach him not to exaggerate. But it might be something so it's not worth the risk.

midsummabreak Mon 14-Mar-16 09:43:23

Not normal to have constant pain.
I have 4 children, two nearly grown up now and no-one had "growing pains"
Sometimes there are sprains or muscular issues that only time and rest can heal., but you do really need to seek a doctor's opinion to know what the true cause is Pain is our body's warning sign that something is wrong. Please see the doctor today for your son's safety and your peace of mind. I hope your doctor gets to the bottom of it soon. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by seeking support for your child's health issue through medical advice.

Fizzielove Mon 14-Mar-16 09:43:25

I have Perthes Disease which wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30's also congenital hip dysplasia. He was checked as a new born for the latter. I just don't want the GP thinking I'm some woman worrying excessively over her PFB.

midsummabreak Mon 14-Mar-16 09:45:48

You wont be the first mum to worry and not the last either, and it's not for nothing, it is because he is saying he has pain

Bunbaker Mon 14-Mar-16 09:55:09

Definitely take him to the GP. I have been googling and there is now a school of thought that perthes disease can be hereditary.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 14-Mar-16 09:56:58

Just take him, if it does turn out to br perthes it's better to know sooner as any treatment needed can be done before big exams time etc (DN had surgery and quite some time in casts,would have been a nightmare if trying to do GCSEs etc)

If it's nothing to worry about, as a pp said it might stop him whinging grin

3luckystars Mon 14-Mar-16 10:00:56

I would definitely bring him to the doctor, and definitely get his vitamin d checked while there (and your own!).

I hope he feels better soon.

Is he on inhalers by any chance? My sisters son gets very sore legs when he is taking his inhalers, especially at night. She swears its the inhalers anyway. Best of luck.

Fizzielove Mon 14-Mar-16 10:02:59

Thanks all. I will make an appointment for the GP.

merrygoround51 Mon 14-Mar-16 10:10:15

Take him to the doctor. Pains in legs should never ever be ignored.

angielou123 Mon 14-Mar-16 10:10:53

As he's not in constant pain, i'd lean towards growing pains. My brother had really bad pain in his legs as a child, which no cause could be found. He grew out of it. Do you give him calpol 6+, might be useful when he's having a flair up. You could always ring up NHS helpline, just for advice.

centigrade451 Mon 14-Mar-16 10:22:06

Just book a doctor, because if it turns out later to be something you would only regret it not going to the doctor sooner. If it turns out to be nothing, then at least you have a doctor to confirm it.

3luckystars Mon 14-Mar-16 12:45:19

That's great you are going to the doctor.
I was listening to a girl on the radio the other day and she had something wrong with her spine and it only became obvious at about age 11, suddenly she was all out of line, almost overnight.

She is fine now but needed an operation to correct it. I was shocked at her story because I thought all these things would be picked up much earlier but she said it was "idiopathic scoliosis" which is a medical term for "we haven't a clue what caused it".

Anyway, I know that's not the case with your son, but the reason I posted that is things can crop up suddenly because they are doing a lot of growing suddenly at that age. Best of luck at the doctors and I think you are doing the right thing.

BikeRunSki Mon 14-Mar-16 12:53:48

Since you have have Perthe's and hip dysplasia, I don't think it's OTT to take your child with groin ache to see the doc.

midsummabreak Tue 15-Mar-16 06:29:36

Hope all went ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now