my neighbours are twits

(20 Posts)
hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:26:55

Yes it's a parking thread. They've been told, had solicitors letters etc etc to not block me in or park on my parking space/driveway
Anyway it's now being monitored and in hands of police who had to go round the other day
He just cornered me to say it's not always us (nice admission there), it was X the other day and walked off still going on about how it's not always them
AIBU to think if over 8 years it's been them 97% of the time, that I would presume it is them when I'm blocked in or can't get on my space?!
Twits angry

Pseudo341 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:31:54

Yep, they're twits.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:33:51

I don't ask for much. Don't block me in, don't park on my drive
According to the police "a man told the new neighbour it was a free parking space"
Call me cynical... But I think I know who told them that!

kawliga Sun 13-Mar-16 17:41:56

Rather than call the police, take measures to secure your parking space. Penguin bollards or something like that. It's not difficult.

Can't believe in 8 years you haven't tried out ALL the suggestions on the epic MN parking threads, many of which come free with photos and links to the relevant website.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:49:04

Bollards don't stop them blocking me in though which is the main issue
We are repainting as its just numbered at the minute and adding something like "private parking for X only" instead of just the number

JolseBaby Sun 13-Mar-16 17:50:23

Kawliga - IDK the backstory to this (if there is one), but I have parking ishoos and unfortunately securing my parking space with bollards and similar is not an option, due to access and rights of way. Bloody annoying but one of those things unfortunately.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:52:00

It's hard to explain... We would have to fit the bollard sort of in the middle of the space as opposed to the end, as there's a space directly next to it so they could sort of manoeuvre in to mine
But with the bollard part way into the space, they will just drive up to the bollard and still block it. They park across it blocking access when I'm in it or not
Tried a lot. Solicitors letters, housing association, being nice, being not nice, police. The reason it's now with the police as its the community police now dealing directly with the HA as its coming under anti social behaviour and I can't speak to neighbour directly due to car being damaged and being threatened in the past

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:54:58

Yes I think we have to get permission. It's hazy though. Apartment block (small one of 6 flats) but I own so therefore own space (on deeds)
Management company won't repaint lines, I can't install a sign without a bollard (as its neighbours fence) and they get shirty when I suggest a bollard
No back story except they don't give a shit and my pleading of needing access out instantly due to being emergency service worker didn't work
I don't think they like the space is next to their house so they think it's theirs

TheBouquets Sun 13-Mar-16 18:27:11

I just don't get all this self importance some people have of parking where it makes life difficult for others and in some cases there are reason why a particular parking space belongs to an individual. It only leads to ill feelings exacerbating into all sorts. Why cant people accept these things or are their needs more important than the next person's? In some cases it is basic manners against selfishness

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 18:29:34

No idea. They have their own space. Visitors can park on the road which is free parking and unrestricted but it's a 1 minute walk (max) so obviously too far

kawliga Sun 13-Mar-16 19:18:45

Ok, for sure OP this is serious - if they have damaged your car and threatened you then that's gone beyond a parking war, hasn't it. I see why police are involved. Your neighbours are fine with crossing over into criminality.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 19:50:58

Yep. The damage was done by a child underage and "accidentally"
When questioned by a family member of mine they were abusive and threatening

kawliga Sun 13-Mar-16 20:06:36

And now they are blocking you in to make a point.

Be careful, you don't want it to escalate. Most people live a life where they have never had a warning off a solicitor or been visited by police - and your neighbours have already shown that this doesn't bother them at all. You are dealing with people who seriously don't care.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 20:12:26

Tbf they were blocking me in before this, it's been since day one
They are genuinely people who don't give a flying feck about things that don't concern them
Police have asked me to carry on reporting as they can trace car Reg to owner and keep on at HA

kawliga Sun 13-Mar-16 20:14:34

They are hoping you will give up and maybe just find somewhere else to park and leave your space to them. What worries me is that they don't seem worried by the police? That's not usual - most people would be mortified if they created a police issue. I'd actually be quite afraid of such people.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 20:17:01

Pissed off that the police came round when it wasn't them I think but no, not concerned or worried. More "it wasn't us this time so why say it was" type thing

MadamDeathstare Sun 13-Mar-16 20:45:34

Is the parking on private land as opposed to a public street? Here in the US the HA would post signs stating that cars blocking people's drives or parked in the wrong space would be towed. They would be too. It cost the owners several hundred dollars to get the car back from the towing company. Maybe suggest it to your HA. They could make some extra money from twitparking.

hollinhurst84 Sun 13-Mar-16 20:51:29

Private parking space set off a public street
They won't tow - I tried that one but the towing company said they couldn't make the money as it was only my space really affected

Collaborate Sun 13-Mar-16 20:54:59

Unfortunately towing an unlawfully parked car from private land is now illegal in the UK.

Collaborate Sun 13-Mar-16 20:56:07

...or is that just clamping? Can't remember now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now