To feel let down by work?

(11 Posts)
NellyTimes Sun 13-Mar-16 12:19:02

I work part time (2 days) for a small health based company and reception and admin is run by myself and two other ladies who both work 3 1/2 days. We all have our own responsibilities and share the other day to day admin between us and we also have a practice manager who does various admin as well. The practice has decided to change the structure slightly as we are moving premises and have one person working in the office who is responsible for all of the admin and will no longer be on reception, meaning the two left on the desk will have little else to do other than making appointments and taking calls (although some of those will also be taken by the person responsible for admin)

We were only informed about this change last Friday during a meeting, and I felt quite excited about this new role as I have been thinking about upping my hours and would also like to move away from the reception side of things, so I started jotting down some ideas for the new role ready to present when they were interviewing us for it. Then on Wednesday (the next day that I was in) my manager and a woman who has been drafted in to help us improve the practice (whole other story) firstly took my colleague in for a chat which lasted about half an hour. I asked her what that was all about she said "oh I've been asked not to say". They then called me in and asked me if I was able to do anymore hours when we moved and I said yes, I could also go up to 3 1/2 days the same as the others as I thought it would put me in good stead for the new position. They said great and that was it, didn't mention the new role.

Then at lunch time they announced that my other colleague had accepted the role of administrator! Which they'd obviously offered her before they took me in for a chat. So aibu to feel livid that I wasn't even given the opportunity to put myself forward for this new role and they have just given it to her without any kind of interview or even asking if I'd be interested in it? I have been there a little longer than she has and also did a similar role before I had children but they decided then to restructure as I went part time. I'm not angry that I didn't get the job but I am fucking livid that I wasn't even allowed to apply for it. They basically only want me to do more hours on reception but will be taking some of my responsibilities away from me, essentially making me nothing more than a smiley face on a desk. I've been there 10 years and I feel so let down.

Sorry it's long, thanks for reading.

TheSnowFairy Sun 13-Mar-16 12:25:48

Yanbu but why didn't you say you were interested in the job?

Gizlotsmum Sun 13-Mar-16 12:26:33

I would ask. They may have had reasons they offered her the job but you should have been given a chance to express an interest in the role

RaeSkywalker Sun 13-Mar-16 12:40:57

YANBU. I always thought that they would have to offer the opportunity to all of you? It's certainly the way it works in our team. I'm obviously wrong though!

I wonder if the other woman was proactive and emailed them to ask for details about the new role? I would definitely ask for a meeting with your manager to discuss.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 13-Mar-16 12:55:31

Time to brush up your CV and start looking for a new role IMO. You're not valued enough there.

GruntledOne Sun 13-Mar-16 12:59:46

Yes, it is bad employment practice and might be discriminatory depending on the circumstances.

Potatoface2 Sun 13-Mar-16 13:02:24

blimey....i think it would be great to have a job for the same money with less responsibilities.....maybe cos im getting old and need to have a break !

NellyTimes Sun 13-Mar-16 13:04:39

I genuinely didn't get the chance to put myself forward before they offered it to the other lady, but then I stupidly thought they might discuss it with us or ask us if we wanted to. Although I did actually say to my manager a couple of months ago that if more work became available or she needed help with extra admin because of the move then I would be happy to come in so she did kind of know that was the case.

It's not that I didn't get the job, just that I didn't get the chance. I don't think my colleague would have been more proactive, she wants to retire in about 3 years and has said all along she is just happy to do whatever until then.

I think you're right tangerine, I certainly feel pretty worthless. I've been doing my cv this weekend as I just don't want to be there any more.

NellyTimes Sun 13-Mar-16 13:06:30

grin potato I know what you're saying but I personally just think it will make the job incredibly dull and I want a bit more from my job.

bloodyteenagers Sun 13-Mar-16 13:11:39

Is the new role more hours than what you said you wanted to do?

Maybe they asked the other person the same question and she replied with well I would do whatever hours required to do the admin role. Whereas you just gave a bog standard answer.

But until you have spoken to them, you will never know.

NellyTimes Sun 13-Mar-16 13:18:55

No, she's not doing any more hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now