to think tipping the delivery driver is a good thing to do

(119 Posts)
Ohbehave1 Sat 12-Mar-16 22:28:35

I have just had a debate with a friend over whether or not take away delivery drivers should be tipped or not.

She says they are paid to do a job so why should we pay them extra. She never does. I think it's worth tipping if the service has been good.

Jaimx86 Sat 12-Mar-16 22:34:40

I always tip. They get paid hardly anything.

7Days Sat 12-Mar-16 22:37:01

I never tip. I hardly get paid anything

Leeds2 Sat 12-Mar-16 22:37:07

I tip, too. Don't think takeaway delivery drivers are overpaid.

Krampus Sat 12-Mar-16 22:59:54

Delivery drivers for what? Besoke furiture, ikea, Tesco, local farmer, amazon, pizza?

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 12-Mar-16 23:02:34

I do. I live in a flat and the guy from the one takeaway place I order from always trots up the stairs with such a cheery smile on his face.

MorticiaLiverish Sat 12-Mar-16 23:02:51

Depends - if the takeaway are charging me for delivery then I don't tip. If delivery is free, i usually do.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 12-Mar-16 23:05:23

I don't tip. But then I'm not exactly overpaid myself. And definitely don't get tips in my job ever.

Osolea Sat 12-Mar-16 23:29:05

I agree that it's worth tipping when the service is good, but that's why I struggle to want to tip take away delivery drivers. There isn't really an opportunity to show good service in ringing a doorbell and handing over a box or a bag.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 12-Mar-16 23:35:17

I can't tip everyone. I've never tipped for a delivery. I tip for eating out and hairdressers - that's about it.

RoseDeWittBukater Sat 12-Mar-16 23:36:59

I don't tip. Ever.

hownottofuckup Sat 12-Mar-16 23:39:37

I only tip when eating out and in taxi's. I didn't know tipping delivery drivers was a thing tbh.

FlyingRussianUnicorn Sat 12-Mar-16 23:42:55

I thought dominos drivers were quite well paid? I thought it was like £9 an hour plus expenses for fuel. Obviously you have wear and tear on a car, insurance etc but if you factor in say £2 an hour I dont think £7 is that bad. Better than being on the dole.

But yes I always top. From a family who never does but I do. If its just a quid out of the bottom of my bag. I dont like the notion of there should be a set amount (10% in most places here) but I do think it polite to tip someone providing a service you could do yourself.

EssentialHummus Sat 12-Mar-16 23:50:59

I'll always add a quid. They save me the trouble of getting dressed and actually leaving the house in sometimes shite weather - bargain.

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 12-Mar-16 23:54:06

I dont tip.if I use Just Eat or one that I can pay online as I usually choose them if ive no cash in ths house. If I order and pay at the door I always round it up to the next couple of quid.

One take away I use via Just Eat they dont linger pretty much throw the food and dash so they obviously dont expect it.

Birdsgottafly Sat 12-Mar-16 23:57:36

I tip for local take out places, usually £2, but not always for Dominos and the like, depending on how I'm fixed money wise, I'm usually sharing the cost of a Dominos with someone else.

MadamDeathstare Sun 13-Mar-16 00:13:47

I tip. I think the Domino's boxes actually have something on them letting their customers know that the delivery charge does not go the drivers.

For other deliveries I also tip where a delivery is large or heavy or if the delivery person has gone above and beyond what is expected, such as taking a furniture delivery upstairs instead of dumping it in the garage for me to deal with.

MinniedeMinx Sun 13-Mar-16 00:16:04

They get minimum wage and if they have to use their own bike they risk being hit by a car every journey. We tip. Not a lot, just round up.

expatinscotland Sun 13-Mar-16 00:16:38

I give them a quid.

BieneBiene Sun 13-Mar-16 00:16:40

If I pay in cash I tip. If I'm paying by card then I don't because I don't usually have cash on me.

RockUnit Sun 13-Mar-16 00:31:51

I don't tip delivery drivers.

LifeofI Sun 13-Mar-16 00:48:37

I dont tip because well i dont want to this isnt america

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Sun 13-Mar-16 00:57:50

They don't always get minimum wage. When DH did take away delivery (one of the few jobs he could get after several years off with severe mental health issues) he received a small amount to cover petrol and his pay was supposed to be delivery fees and tips. The restaurant owners would shout at him to drive faster (60+ mph on rural roads even in horrendous weather, he ignored them) and the wear and tear on the car was huge. It is a horrible job.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 13-Mar-16 01:15:57

Isn't minimum wage now a requirement for all jobs?

JeanGenie23 Sun 13-Mar-16 01:41:58

Many moons ago my dad was a delivery driver to earn a bit of extra dosh whilst I was a tiny baby, and I always remember him saying that the tips made it worthwhile , otherwise the cash in hand money he got was just pittance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now