13 year old gaming in the middle of the night

(40 Posts)
chancer Sat 12-Mar-16 07:53:38

Made my son turn his X box off last night when I went to bed at 10, which I already think is late, to wake up at 1.30 to find him back on it! I am now the worst mother in the world as all his friends are allowed which I know isn't correct.
Is there a way to stop this other than turning the broadband off when I go to bed?
He is still asleep but dreading the argument when he wakes!!!!

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Sat 12-Mar-16 07:55:16

Is the Xbox in his room?
Take it out, take away the controller or plug

StitchesInTime Sat 12-Mar-16 07:55:51

Remove the X-box?

ihatethecold Sat 12-Mar-16 07:55:55

Yes, take the controller of him when it's bed time.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Mar-16 07:56:05

Make him give you the controller or the X Box before bed? Or take the power cable.

BellaEnderby Sat 12-Mar-16 07:56:59

We turn off the wifi on school nights . Makes sure my son does not do this. Also make him put his phone on charge in the kitchen. He knows the rules.
I think this is the only way to ensure they are not gaming / messaging late at night.
Oh and the broadband router is now in our bedroom as when we first did this our son would sneak downstairs and turn it back on !

OhShutUpThomas Sat 12-Mar-16 07:57:52

Take away the Xbox at night.

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Sat 12-Mar-16 07:57:56

I think you need to remove the choice from him if he can't leave it alone. My parents used to remove the power cable when they had this issue with my brother 10 years ago.

If it's causing arguments, would you consider taking it away completely for a period of time?

magoria Sat 12-Mar-16 07:58:32

DS is nearly 15.

We have a rule that the Internet goes off around 10.30 on school nights.

It is a stroppy battle every night despite 4 mothers standing with their DC all saying we are doing this so they can't say x lets him play until...

Just something you don't give them a choice on.

pippistrelle Sat 12-Mar-16 08:02:24

If turning off the WiFi means he couldn't play, then why wouldn't you? It's not like a fridge: it doesn't have to be on 24 hours a day. Or you could take the controller at lights out.

Don't argue: there's no debate to be had here.

Serioussteve Sat 12-Mar-16 08:09:35

Depending on your router you can allow/disallow internet access based on time on a per device basis.

Failing that, take power cable or controller as per pp.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Mar-16 08:13:49

The router is only applicable if he's online gaming. Just make him give you the controller.

Belikethat Sat 12-Mar-16 08:14:52

My 12 year old hands over any screens or controllers at bedtime. He accepts he is distracted by them otherwise and would be using them in in the middle of the night. I do give a bit more leeway on weekends. Could you discuss a reasonable time for handover with him? He will hate it but will get used to it.

chancer Sat 12-Mar-16 08:15:13

I have always taken his iPad & phone away at night, for some reason I thought I could trust him with this, obviously not, so will take the controller or even the whole x box away.
Just deciding on a punishment for this which I think will be a week away from it, maybe that will make him learn his lesson!!
Why do teenagers make it so hard!!!

magratsflyawayhair Sat 12-Mar-16 08:21:12

You can play an Xbox without wifi, just not shareable / multiplayer content. So yes, take it away at bedtime or else he'll just play the story, as assuming his friends aren't actually awake at the same time to play with he was just doing it as he had the opportunity.

MrsJayy Sat 12-Mar-16 09:27:48

You dont need to unplug the whole thing take away the controller he will hate you but meh of course all the other parents let them stay up half the night its just you who is mean grin

Alexa444 Sat 12-Mar-16 09:34:53

You know you have a fusebox right? So just turn the upstairs sockets off. And half the downstairs. I would leave only the kitchen with power.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Mar-16 09:36:24

That wouldn't work for the clock radio alarms round here Alexa. Bit OTT.

curren Sat 12-Mar-16 09:41:01

Turn off the electric?

Over reaction much?

Take away the controller or power cable. Job done

Murphyslaw21 Sat 12-Mar-16 09:42:11

Take it out of room.

imwithspud Sat 12-Mar-16 09:43:47

Just take the controllers away. Job done.

Meow75 Sat 12-Mar-16 09:44:47

If you take away just the controller, what's to stop him having a spare secreted away in a drawer somewhere. Same with the power cable. You need to remove the box itself, as that's only but not duplicated easily.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Mar-16 09:46:00

I know exactly how many PS4 controllers we have in this house they are about £60 each.

MagentaSpunkTrumpet Sat 12-Mar-16 09:47:59

I remove the battery pack from the controller <cruel mother>

Alexa444 Sat 12-Mar-16 09:56:41

Easy and effective though. If he won't listen just flip the switch for his bedroom sockets and oh dear nothing to do, might as well go to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now