To really not like kids' tops with writing on them?

(120 Posts)
CruCru Fri 11-Mar-16 16:49:58

I was in the Moorgate branch of Next today and was having a nose through the kids' tops. At least half had some slogan or other form of writing on them, which tends to make them completely undesirable to me.

This sort of thing

and this

and this

and this

It might just be that this particular store finds it more profitable to stock tops with mottos on. However, if this is the case then I find it surprising. Once you've removed all the stuff with mottos on, there isn't all that much left to choose from. AIBU?

Narp Fri 11-Mar-16 16:52:51

I don't like them either.

Narcissistic if bought by the parents.

The @here comes trouble ones are not funny and also, do they come in pink?

Narp Fri 11-Mar-16 16:53:30

No idea what that @ is doing there. I seem to have been invaded by textspeak

WorraLiberty Fri 11-Mar-16 16:55:30

I'm not fussed either way about them really.

I have to say it's rare to see a Mumsnetter ask if something comes in pink grin

Narp Fri 11-Mar-16 16:56:30

They have Boys Will be Boys too. That'll go down well

Oysterbabe Fri 11-Mar-16 16:56:44

We had this exact topic a few days ago.

Spudlet Fri 11-Mar-16 16:58:50

Not my thing either.

I don't really like much in Next - a lot of the baby clothes look uncomfortable to me. Baby jeans, and skinny jeans for toddlers and things.

lozster Fri 11-Mar-16 17:00:06

I hate them too. My two year old cant read so it seems doubly foolish for him to have a top proclaiming his so-called opinions. I don't buy them and have asked close family not to either.

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 11-Mar-16 17:00:21

Provided they're not wearing those god awful t-shirts that some blokes seem to find hilarious, the ones with generally crap jokes that quite sexist, then I don't really care about kids wearing t-shirts with writing on.

DD chooses her own stuff now (she's 14) but both my son's have t-shirts with slogans on as well as - cover your eyes! - tops with characters on them.

Terrible mother, me.

usual Fri 11-Mar-16 17:01:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Songofsixpence Fri 11-Mar-16 17:02:48

Depends what the message is.

My 10 year old loves them and I do veto quite a lot of them if I think they're inappropriate but I give in if they're fairly harmless - she has to wear them and I can't really be arsed to argue

I once saw a young child in a top with 'manteaser' written like Malteasers. That would be a bit fat no, but the hoodie with 'I don't need you, I have wifi' - meh

Pinkheart5915 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:03:14

I love them.
Our ds is 6 months and has many "slogan" thirst such as
I love mummy
I love Dady
Here comes trouble
England's next dribbler
He also has ted baker clothes with the ted baker name branded on the shirt.

Night baby grows with prince ds name

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the slogans are appropriate. Some of the ones you get for teenage girls are outrageous

sunnydayinmay Fri 11-Mar-16 17:03:32

I don't like them, but ds1 only wears plain colours, and ds2 only wears Minecraft t-shirts, so not really an issue in our house.

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 11-Mar-16 17:03:53

Just looked at the ones in the OP.

Nothing wrong with any of them. They're not offensive ffs.

It's just snobbery, pure and simple.

I got called a chav on here once for saying my son (who was 4 at the time) had a Mickey Mouse t-shirt. No, sorry, my son apparently 'looked like a chav'. Lovely way to describe a small child, isn't it?

Vintage45 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:05:42

Im not a fan of any clothing with slogans/writing on them full stop whether they be for adults or children.

usual Fri 11-Mar-16 17:08:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 11-Mar-16 17:13:48

Ooh, do we need to have a 'chav off', Usual?

grin

mudandmayhem01 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:14:00

I generally don't like them, but my dh bought ds ( 10) " I do all my own stunts" one from Sainsburys which he loves, so of course I let him wear it of course.

LifeofI Fri 11-Mar-16 17:23:04

I dont like kids tops like that either, all a bit cheese on toast.
I cant stand tops or jackets with writing on the back, it really annoys me for some strange reason.

YesterdayOnceMore Fri 11-Mar-16 17:25:07

I do like the "I do my own stunts one" - especially when it is really really applicable to the child stunt person wearing it!

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 11-Mar-16 17:25:41

Cheese on toast is lovely though!

Not sure what that has to do with tops with slogans confused

ctjoy103 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:26:18

So? Just don't buy if then. There's obviously people who do, so why are you bothered by them?

BayLeaves Fri 11-Mar-16 17:34:39

YANBU. I especially hate the gender stereotyping.

Ever notice the boys slogans are all "Here comes trouble", "It wasn't me!" and "Mummy's little monster"... Whereas the girls slogans are all "Pretty in Pink!", "Sugar, spice and all things nice!", and "Daddy's little princess".

Check out letclothesbeclothes.uk

I don't mind gender neutral slogans as much, like a hoody for a toddler saying "mummy keeps me cosy", but personally I wouldn't want my whole son's wardrobe to be slogan tees. Toddlers are cute enough without having to have a cutesy slogan. It's not like pre school kids can even read the words anyway!

CruCru Fri 11-Mar-16 17:57:43

Perhaps it is snobbery. I wouldn't call a child (or adult) a chav though, that's just unpleasant.

I think it's just the plethora of them. If it were one or two, I would just not pick those but this was ridiculous.

Sorry - hadn't realised this had been done so recently. Never thought I needed to spend more time on MN.

pointythings Fri 11-Mar-16 18:05:07

I think those are utterly twee and wouldn't buy them. On the other hand, tops with writing in general do have their place. Especially the ones with Princess Bride references on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now