To uproot plants and take them when I move?

(7 Posts)
dolkapots Fri 11-Mar-16 09:36:13

This is a theoretical AIBU because hopefully I am not moving any time soon. I have been in this rental property 5+ years, hopefully for many more.

Anyway, I have really got into the garden and have spent quite a lot on nice pots and plants etc. This year I want to actually plant in borders. If I'm spending several hundred pounds and my LL asked me to leave, I would want to uproot the plants and take them with me to new house.

WIBBU to do this? Don't want to commit a tenant offence so would be grateful to hear from LL's, or anyone generally whether this would be a strange thing or not.

Witchend Fri 11-Mar-16 09:46:29

I suspect, but don't know, that you have to leave the garden in a reasonable state. So you could remove the plants as long as you dug the bed over and didn't leave it as though you had just removed plants.

ridemesideways Fri 11-Mar-16 09:53:46

Yes... The plants are your property so you can take them. Your tenancy agreement probably says something about keeping the garden maintained in a reasonable condition.

If it was all grass originally, you'd probably be expected to return it to the same state by digging out your borders, levelling and turfing it over. Otherwise weeds etc would take over.

Momamum Fri 11-Mar-16 09:55:15

With our landlords, absolutely OK to take them with you, just leave the borders raked over and tidy. After all, the hypothetical new tenants might not like plants at all and would prefer the area cut back and grassed over to simplify their life? And that would be their choice for their new home and they'd have every right to do it.

Osolea Fri 11-Mar-16 09:55:18

As long as you left the garden tidy and looking like it did when you first moved in, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are renting and you leave the garden in good condition then I don't think there is a problem with this. If there are any prime specimens you definitely want to keep then you could plant in a pot then bury the pot in the border so you could move it without having to uproot.

dolkapots Fri 11-Mar-16 09:59:34

I actually uprooted the shrubs that were already here as they were completely dead wood and looked terrible. Garden is mature in the sense that it has lovely hedging but other than that it is not "kept" in anyway.

Glad to know that this isn't cheeky! Of course I would redo the border and possibly leave a few shrubs .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now