To think the wrong people are in prison?

(10 Posts)
fanofthevoid Thu 10-Mar-16 16:30:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 10-Mar-16 16:33:57

Fully agree with you. And what a lovely gesture for you to donate. It's certainly a very very worthy cause. As you know these poor people have fled with nothing.
You're a star.

ilovesooty Thu 10-Mar-16 16:34:20

I don't think it's quite the same as custody.

well yes, but the abusers are not always dealt with, sometimes the victims flee but won't press charges, they may be on bail etc so the victims and families need to be safe, I am surprised you knew where the refuge was as where I live it is a closely guarded secret. we had a case a number of years ago where the abuser of one poor woman turned up outside the place and when she came out to go to the shop he shot and killed her. This is why they try their best to keep the address hidden.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 10-Mar-16 17:15:45

I go to a couple of these places with work (I work for a housing non-profit). It is shitty. And, not only do the women living there live in fear but the brave and wonderful staff have to be on their guard all the time.

One place I worked showed me where a man had broken in. They had 10 foot fences.

We should treat violence against women much more seriously.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 10-Mar-16 17:21:07

That's the terrifyingly thing about it. It doesn't matter if they put up 1,000 ft fence. If these brutes want to get in they will do.
After all if someone got into Buckingham Palace, what hope is there for the rest of us.
There should be security guards, if there are not already. These big hard men that terrorise women, don't tend to stand up to fellow men.

fanofthevoid Thu 10-Mar-16 17:26:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RitaVinTease Thu 10-Mar-16 17:32:48

Our local womens refuge was firebombed last year, it wasnt the first time and it wont be the last. Thats why its within minutes of the fire and police stations. sad

I met a woman who lives near it. She was very suspicious of the behaviour in and around this very obvious drugs den. They always have someone watching out of the window! They have cctv! [facepalm]. I put her right and told her to keep quiet about it.

UnmentionedElephantDildo Thu 10-Mar-16 17:47:39

It's also like what people in witness protection schemes have to go though, for doing the right thing in helping put criminals behind bars. But the risks to them, from the criminals family and associates, is so grave that they need to be totally uprooted and protected.

Even with convictions and custodial sentences, the risks don't just end.

BillSykesDog Thu 10-Mar-16 19:03:22

Well it's good that they have the security to be safe.

Even if it's a cut and dried case where the person accused will be going straight onto remand the police will have to catch them first so it's not always possible for it to be immediate.

Plus, even if they are immediately jailed it could be possible for them to have friends, relatives or even someone hired attack for them.

It's depressing that it's needed, but it is necessary. And it must give a very much needed sense of safety and security to the people staying there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now