to really really hate my neighbours

(20 Posts)
user1456315015 Wed 09-Mar-16 03:45:20

My neighbours are absolute assholes!!!
I have been up all night with the baby and he finally fell asleep and the fucking dickheads decide that 7am is the perfect time to trim the hedges with the chainsaw!!
I hate them so much and I am currently sitting here with a baby that has woken up yet again and I am fantasising about cutting their head of with a chainsaw!
They do this almost every day.. There is always some racket they make outside. Just get a bloody life!

FigMango1 Wed 09-Mar-16 04:25:11

Was your baby noisy 'all night' ?

user1456315015 Wed 09-Mar-16 04:27:11

No... Just didn't want to sleep. But even if he was their bedroom is on the other side of their house and there is a big backyard between their house and ours

FigMango1 Wed 09-Mar-16 04:34:10

Then maybe try speaking to them asking if they can do it a bit later? Depends if they are working, they might want to do it before work? But what hedges are they even cutting everyday, didn't think it needs a prune that often.

Ditsy4 Wed 09-Mar-16 04:37:44

Are you on speaking terms with them if so ask them if the baby is disturbing them then add that you have been up half the night and could do with a lie in. Hopefully they will get the message if not ask them. I think there is something about noise before 8 am check local council.
Sleep deprivation is awful. I feel for you but taking their heads off with the chainsaw isn't the answer [ grin]

echt Wed 09-Mar-16 05:00:19

Clearly starting but a chainsaw at that time is unsociable, but I'm not sure it's not allowed: tradesmen can start at that time I think, but check with your local council.

Are they retired? I say this because I used to live between two older couples, all retired who would be up at sparrowfart, mowing the lawn, and so on. They slept less at night and napped in the day, so 7.00.a.m. was fine by them. Probably felt like midday. They were obsessional tidy-uppers and got the leaf blower out several times a week, too. Did my swede in, and I'm an early riser, gardening nut.

MintyLizzy9 Wed 09-Mar-16 05:44:38

My neighbour is a nursing home, the gardener used to start at 8 on a Monday morning...which was fine but gradually it moved to 6 am. All petrol powered tools which at that time (no other noise) sound like bloody jet engines! I spoke to him (very nicely as it goes!) one morning and he pretty much told me to naff off he is busy and has other sites he needs to get too and likes an early finish hmm. The home manager wasn't interested as in his words well love I wouldn't know care as I don't start until 9. Wasn't interested at all that not only were the neighbours being disturbed but also all of his own dementia suffering clients (I can only imagine how loud and frightening that must be right outside your window) I spoke to the council and they contacted them, got the same response but the no nonsense council lady threatened him with a noise abatement order and thankfully gardening with power tools doesn't start until 8 now grin

Chottie Wed 09-Mar-16 07:03:13

No advice, but lots of sympathy.

I have a neighbour who jet cleans his drive at 10.00pm all year round even though for half the year it is pitch black

SelfRaisingFlour Wed 09-Mar-16 07:12:03

In our Borough, builders etc can't start making noise until 8am. I would check your Council website so you can use the info when you talk to the neighbour.

flanjabelle Wed 09-Mar-16 07:15:30

I feel for you. Both me and dd were woken in the night by my next door neighbours having a screaming row at 2am. Dds room is right on the other side of the flat so it tells you how loud it was. I'm so tired today.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 09-Mar-16 07:17:16

The rules aren't the same for non trade residents doing DIY. Or at least that's what we were told when we tried to get the Council to stop our then neighbours from drilling out all their chimney breasts on the party wall between 6am and 11pm every. single. night for weeks. My mother is disabled and housebound so she couldn't even go out to avoid it.

Speak to the neighbours, perhaps they'll be more sympathetic than ours. I wouldn't do noisy work at that time unless it was an emergency.

FruStefanOla Wed 09-Mar-16 07:17:51

Given the (UK) time that the OP posted this and her use of the word 'backyard', I suspect she is somewhere else in the world. Not that that makes any difference regarding inconsiderate neighbours, but where she lives might not have rules about noisy work.

wannabestressfree Wed 09-Mar-16 07:17:52

Ah the aggressive American is back.....

Cookingongas Wed 09-Mar-16 07:18:02

Figmango- if the baby was noisy all night would that justify neighbours unsociable behaviour?!

Most people know that young babies cry- it's not unsociable and inconsiderate and you can pretty much bet their noise is upsetting the parents too, who will be doing all they can to stop it. It's not unneighbourly to be a parent to a crying baby. It's unneighbourly, inconsiderate wankbadgery to run a chainsaw at 7am!

BettyBi0 Wed 09-Mar-16 07:44:02

Ugh people are just really inconsiderate sometimes and when you are sleep deprived it feels 100% more annoying.

They can't be using a chainsaw every morning at 7am surely unless you have an actual wood between your gardens?

I feel your pain though. My neighbours (terrace house) would always programme their washing machine for bum crack o'clock so we'd get woken by the spin cycle before 6 and then he'd be happily hanging out the washing before he went to work. AND he'd play stupid loud music in his car from the minute the ignition started so him leaving/parking at the end of the day started to make my blood boil. I tried talking to him about it a few times as my baby was such a light sleeper. He just said "yes yes yes" a lot and carried on as normal.

In the end I had to make a decision: do I take some kind of formal grievance/legal steps to stop him? Or do I just follow Princess Elsa and let it go?

I figured that he had years of my DD tantrumming and shouting in the garden to look forward to so I left it. DD became a much sounder sleeper in time so it was less of an issue too

ClopySow Wed 09-Mar-16 07:45:55

But it was 3.45.

charlestonchaplin Wed 09-Mar-16 07:50:26

If a crying baby stops you sleeping or enjoying your home, the fact that your neighbours are being disturbed as well is often little comfort.

FruStefanOla Wed 09-Mar-16 07:52:00

Clopy, I think that the OP lives elsewhere in the world.

expatinscotland Wed 09-Mar-16 08:27:23

03.45 here would be anywhere from 7-9pm or thereabouts in the US. So this person might be in Oz/NZ?

bettyberry Wed 09-Mar-16 08:28:36

My neighbour does this too. I would be more understanding if they worked FT because time is short but as a retired couple they can absolutely wait until 9am and I do not give a fuck if they don't like it.

I am sick to death of being woken on a Saturday and Sunday morning around 6-7am by the sounds of hammering, drilling and gawd knows what.

One saturday they were outside drilling a hole for a bloody tap at 7am. It took ages to go through the 2 layers of brickwork.

If it was a workman doing it I might shrug and deal with it but its him every single weekend. NEVER in the week when we are already up at 6am ffs.

Worst bit is he moaned the one time I had to hoover the floor at 8pm. Couldn't leave spilt sugar all over the floor until the AM damp & insect problems. It lasted 10 minutes. Arsehole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now