Wanting to keep my child's baby teeth?

(107 Posts)
Mummydearest85 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:33:02

I know it's a bit gross. My mum kept mine and my brothers. I've got dd's in a pretty little box, hidden away. Aibu? Or just a bit weird?! hmmblush

Trickydecision Tue 08-Mar-16 13:35:03

Not weird at all and not gross.

UmbongoUnchained Tue 08-Mar-16 13:35:38

Weird.

greatbigwho Tue 08-Mar-16 13:36:05

A lot weird confused what will you do with them?!

My friend was once handed a small jewellery box by her future MiL just after they'd got engaged and was told that MiL had been hoping she'd have a daughter to pass these on to at some point.

It was all her partner's baby teeth.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:38:25

greatbigwho grin grin grin

I won't be keeping my babies, what would I do with them.

If you want to keep them why not? It's individual choice?

scandichick Tue 08-Mar-16 13:38:36

Me and my brother used to play with ours! So you are being U keeping them hidden away grin

ThePebbleCollector Tue 08-Mar-16 13:39:00

Massive dental fear means there's not a chance I'd keep them all, just first. But do as you please, especially if it's a family tradition. Doubt it's common but we're all a bit weird in our own way aren't we smile

molyholy Tue 08-Mar-16 13:40:01

greatbig grin grin grin

That would make me feel queasy.

VoldysGoneMouldy Tue 08-Mar-16 13:40:59

I have some of the hair from Dc's first hair cut and first lost tooth.

I considered that to be quite normal... wink

LimitedSedition Tue 08-Mar-16 13:43:23

I have all of the teeth DD has lost so far and will be keeping the rest too. Not weird.

crispytruffle Tue 08-Mar-16 13:44:19

I have kept my sons. Why is it weird?

FurryFox Tue 08-Mar-16 13:46:23

I have kept both of my dds, but now they're all mixed together. I can't bring myself to bin them!

Princesspeach1980 Tue 08-Mar-16 13:51:02

I haven't kept the DCs teeth but I did find some of my old dog's puppy teeth in a box of trinkets the other day! Not sure what I was thinking there grin

StickyToffeePuddingAndCustard Tue 08-Mar-16 13:52:03

You need to ask yourself...

"What would Marie Kondo do?"

Thank them for their service then chuck the fuckers in the bin.

teeththief Tue 08-Mar-16 13:53:33

I did keep them but found them recently and threw most away. No idea if YABU though!

NickyEds Tue 08-Mar-16 13:56:32

I don't know what I'll do with dcs teeth. My baby teeth are still in the Ginger jar on my dad's mantlepiece!

strongswans Tue 08-Mar-16 14:04:48

I kept Ds', my Dad still has mine too.

FatherReboolaConundrum Tue 08-Mar-16 14:07:39

If you do keep them please chuck them out at some point. Your dd won't thank you if she finds them after you've died and has to get rid of them herself, and all your surviving family will think you were a total wierdo when she tells them that she found out you'd been hoarding her teeth. Voice of experience here.

TheBalefulGroke Tue 08-Mar-16 14:13:10

I have mine (kept by my parents). I have my children's. I don't know what to do with them.
It's defining weird though. I want to throw them away, but am compelled to keep them.
I think my children would be horrified if I threw them in the bin.

f1fan2015 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:14:43

I live in Brazil and my DD was given a gift specially designed to do this - I can let you have it if you want? In Brazil, it appears dentists give out a piece of card with see through plastic attached with individual places for all the baby teeth in the shape of the jaw. My DD is 6 and very touchy about the fact her younger classmates are already losing their teeth whilst she still has all hers shock

redhat Tue 08-Mar-16 14:15:35

I think it's fairly normal. I have my DSs

acasualobserver Tue 08-Mar-16 14:16:15

Such a pity that they're hidden away. Could you make them into a pretty necklace?

girlandboy Tue 08-Mar-16 14:17:46

A bit weird I think to keep them all.

However, I do hold my hand up to keeping the first one's lost by DD and DS, so I kept two. But no more than that. Certainly not a full set shock

And anyway, DD swallowed one of hers, so it wouldn't even be a full set grin

Meandyouandyouandme Tue 08-Mar-16 14:19:39

Snap FurryFox, though I've got three DCs and the teeth are all mixed together. I think they think it's gross, but I can't throw them away either.

SoThatHappened Tue 08-Mar-16 14:23:49

My mum did that. I found them later in a box when I was a grown up.

In a little trinket box. Most of them broken and intact or not they stank.

I threw them all in the bin, mum has never ever noticed. Fucking weird IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now