AIBU to worry about my own life?

(9 Posts)
KateSpade Tue 08-Mar-16 13:20:11

I'm starting to worry about my own life, as in career prospects/money/future/pension, ect, even though the other aspects of my life are really good ATM, touch wood!
Dd us really happy, doing well, ect. She's 4 & looking forward to school in September, she loves nursery, has plenty of friends, can write a few words, doing well for her age basically!
I have a partner who I love very much, he loves me & dd, were planning a wedding, ect.
So don't get me wrong I am very happy, however I'm hanging on at my current job by a thread.

I have w degree in a subject I cannot get a job in, so I've started at the bottom of the law profession, no qualifications, hoping to retrain, ect. However, my boss hates me, he doesn't approve of the fact i had a child before marriage, or I have a relationship & im not married, he's said I don't deserve any respect for that reason.

I'm so worried about my own life, I never seem to have any luck, I can't go back to uni without paying for the loan myself,
So this feels like my only shot,

Does anyone have any words of life wisdom?
Or am I just being short sighted?

JustABigBearAlan Tue 08-Mar-16 13:31:07

Your boss is an idiot!

Surely you don't have to stay? Sounds awful.

KateSpade Tue 08-Mar-16 13:39:00

I know, I've been here 6 months & he's made four girls cry, who have then left. He's hard work & I don't feel I'm ever going to do any good in his eyes, iyswim

I don't have any qualifications in this industry which will make it hard to get anywhere,

JustABigBearAlan Tue 08-Mar-16 13:50:00

But can you work your way up in law? I thought you needed to do a conversion course first?

I know it's hard getting a foot on the ladder, but it sounds as though you'll just be miserable if you stay where you are. He sounds a real bully.

blobbityblob Tue 08-Mar-16 13:58:10

I don't know as I don't work in the profession but could you aim to be a legal executive say, then convert later down the line when your funds are more intact?

Or get some experience there and move onto another employer?

KateSpade Tue 08-Mar-16 17:11:43

Thanks guys!
I'm after doing my legal exec training but he just keeps telling me to hang on, which is frustrating! I need to do some research about doing it out of work, I guess.

I feel a bit lost, if this doesn't work out I do not know what I'll do!

TrinityForce Tue 08-Mar-16 17:17:10

You sat ect a lot and it's actually etc.

Your boss said you don't deserve any respect because you've had a child before marriage? That's bloody barbaric.

Keep looking for another job, even at the bottom of the ladder somewhere else it's better than bottom of the ladder and no chance of training with a boss that's a disrespectful rude cunt.

OzzieFem Tue 08-Mar-16 18:35:01

You work in a law profession office and you are being bullied/harassed at work? Seriously? I'm surprised someone hasn't reported them by now.

RB68 Tue 08-Mar-16 18:58:16

In my view this is not untypical of behaviour by lawyers - I was marreid to one and associate with many not sure I even liked any of them or their attitudes int he end. They do like people that stick up for themselves though - personally I would have responded with well I am afraid I have seen too many hypocrites married with a girlfriend on the side or extra kids etc.

You can work your way up using professional qualifications in house - Legal Exec exams - but you do need support of manager - sometimes they will help you pay for them as well (maybe he is trying to put you off!!)

Things seem to be changing in law qualification as seen here www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/routes-to-qualifying/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now