to start a Teachers Pension at 42?

(5 Posts)
mumofoneofeach75 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:27:18

Hoping for some help and advice. I am 42 and have been teaching for 11 years. I was just 2 days a week initially and paid into the pension. After a bad marriage break up, I had to raise my 3 children alone and went full time. I couldn't afford the pension and stopped paying into it. I also used the money I had already paid in to help with childcare costs and moving. All 3 children are now in school and I am working full time. Is it still worth me re-entering the pension scheme now? I have seen some advice that says I might have too small a pension after just 10-15 years and I might be penalised for pension credit (I think). Also, not sure how much longer I can last in teaching with the way things are..........

mycatsloveeachother Mon 07-Mar-16 17:28:36

Yes, do.

My Mum didn't start teaching until a similar age, and she sadly died at 52 but her contributions meant my brother and I were entitled to a small amount (£150 p/m) as long as we remained in full time education.

mumofoneofeach75 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:48:26

thank you - it's good to know it'll still be worth it, especially as I'm going to struggle to make the contributions. Sorry about you mother....

Iggi999 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:52:12

AIBU is a strange place to ask this!
I'd contact your pensions people (who could do some kind of forecast) or your union who will offer financial advice.
I suspect it will be advisable to do this, unless you're planning to leave in a year or two.

Lindy2 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:55:08

You have the potential for 23 years + of pension saving. I'd say that gives you the potential to build up a reasonable benefit. I think anything you can do yourself is better than relying on completely unknown future state benefits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now