To hope for some kind of special treatment on mother's day?

(4 Posts)
Wingingit44 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:22:03

I'm a SAHM with 3 young dcs. My dh knew it was mother's day as he signed the card I had bought him for his mum and all the chat on the radio was about lovely mother's day sentiments. I know some people don't believe in set days to celebrate things (he is generally quite like this, saying he's not bothered about his own birthday) or people say it's just commercial hype etc. But I can't help but feel disappointed that there was no 'Happy mother's day' or 'you're a fab mum' kind of comment. Nothing. I would have been happy with a simple mention, let alone anything material. Am I being selfish?

I do also feel that it's important to teach the dcs it's important to show appreciation and seeing as I don't get showered with compliments through the year I feel it wouldn't hurt to make a bit of effort for one day. He works extremely hard to support our family so I hope I show appreciation of that, and I know I am very lucky to have what I have. I always make sure we make a card and cake or something for Father's day. Eldest dc made a present at playgroup but it was up to me to prompt him to give it to me. When it's so in your face everywhere and loads of people are posting pictures of their lovely/hilarious cards it feels a but sad.

Wingingit44 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:22:41

Whoops

*a bit sad

ohforfoxsake Sun 06-Mar-16 20:27:30

I think there's a lesson to be learnt in considering other people here: to acknowledge in some small way that you are a good mum.

This is my first year as a lone parent. I went shopping with my 14 yo DS yesterday to buy me some 'stuff' because otherwise he'd feel bad.

I realised I have got it all wrong and feel like a failure today.

So no, I don't think it hurts to take a day to think about what someone else does for you - even if it is a Hallmark Holiday!

formerbabe Sun 06-Mar-16 20:33:56

Yanbu. I also got nothing. No card, no gift, no flowers. I spent the day doing housework. I'm also a sahm op...I do absolutely everything to do with the dc and the home...A small gesture of thanks would be nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now