Aibu to think this site has some contradictory ideas about relationships!

(57 Posts)
wherethewildthingis Sun 06-Mar-16 18:45:32

Obviously not all posters, but the prevailing trend often!
"I found a profile of my h on a dating site, not sure if its old or recent, posting for advice"
"Get your ducks in a row, prepare to LTB".

"I've just had a baby, my ILS live 200 miles away, they want to visit next week and stay over, I don't want them to but my H does."
"He needs to prioritise his family of creation over his family of origin! If he can't do that, tell him to move back to his Mum!"

"My H didn't help my three year old get me anything at all for mothers day, not even a cheap card or a single daffodi. The last time he bought me anything was 1993. I don't usually mind or complain, but last week I had major surgery and the three year old is in tears because she didn't get me anything."
"Your H is not your child! Don't be so materialistic! You're lucky he put s a roof over your selfish head and allows you to be a mum!"

AIBU to find this a bit strange?!

Trills Sun 06-Mar-16 18:48:16

YABU to consider that "this site" has any ideas at all.

UnmentionedElephantDildo Sun 06-Mar-16 18:48:20

"this site" does not exist as a unified viewpoint.

There are thousands of people posting, most viewpoints are covered.

People choose which threads they post on, and there's probably all sorts of selection and confirmation bias going on.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 06-Mar-16 18:49:35

it's not strange though is it - this site is made up of lots of posters - who will all have differing views - unless those posts where all made by the same person?

Mumsnet isn't a political party - it's just a place people post shit grin there isn't a party line to contradict

Trills Sun 06-Mar-16 18:50:29

YABU to find it strange that the thousands (if not millions) of people who post on this website might disagree with each other.

You are being even more unreasonable to find it strange that people on different threads, discussing different situations, might say different things.

LineyReborn Sun 06-Mar-16 18:52:12

Christ are we the fucking Borg now.

RancidOldHag Sun 06-Mar-16 18:53:21

"Christ are we the fucking Borg now."

And we all menstruate in synch too

AnyFucker Sun 06-Mar-16 18:54:17

Those examples are not remotely comparable so I don't see how you can conclude that the prevailing views are "contradictory"

wherethewildthingis Sun 06-Mar-16 18:54:55

Well- to someone who doesn't post much t often does appear there is a bit of a party line here and that there are some fairly set views and responses.

QuiteLikely5 Sun 06-Mar-16 18:54:58

Surely you don't expect all opinions to be the same? confused

Justforthisfred Sun 06-Mar-16 18:55:35

What they all said. Thanks PP's 😊

ghostyslovesheep Sun 06-Mar-16 18:55:48

I'm Groot

IdaJones Sun 06-Mar-16 18:56:48

Yanbu re Mothers Day. You wouldn't take a 5 year old child to a birthday party and say "We didn't bring a present as the birthday child is my son's friend not mine so it's not my job to sort out a card and present."

AnyFucker Sun 06-Mar-16 18:58:37

Oh right. This is one of those boring "MN is nasty" threads then

Come on, spit it out. You once didn't toe the party line (whatever that is), got your arse handed to you and now you want to have a go at everyone ?

Arfarfanarf Sun 06-Mar-16 19:00:06

Which individual posters have you seen holding opinions that contradict one another?

Or have you just seen different posters expressing their opinion?

If i say cheese is good on one thread and cheese is bad on another, that is a contradiction.

If i say cheese is good one one thread and you say cheese is bad on another thread there is no contradiction because you are not obliged to express my view nor i yours.

It baffles me when people talk of mumsnet having double standards when all it is is different people expressing individual views.

MadamDeathstare Sun 06-Mar-16 19:00:12

YABU.

And no, I am Groot.

FoxFeatures Sun 06-Mar-16 19:01:26

MN is t the Borg Collective.

FoxFeatures Sun 06-Mar-16 19:01:36

Isn't

ghostyslovesheep Sun 06-Mar-16 19:02:16

no you're Spartacus

LineyReborn Sun 06-Mar-16 19:03:47

No, I am Borgacus.

AdrenalineFudge Sun 06-Mar-16 19:04:53

I see what you are trying to say but as has been pointed out there isn't really a 'party line' to contradict.

DoreenLethal Sun 06-Mar-16 19:05:38

The ONLY party line on here is the queue at Arf's sandwich toastie stall.

Yay. Maraccas. Do the cheesie congo.

sugar21 Sun 06-Mar-16 19:05:57

Mn has been brilliant to me and has helped me a lot. Everyone has been really nice. People cannot all have the same opinion on things but if you need a helping hand there is always someone here.

elQuintoConyo Sun 06-Mar-16 19:06:00

I'm boredicus of threads like this.

And so's my wife.

phequer Sun 06-Mar-16 19:07:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now