To think Jim Jeffries is a misogynistic arsehole?

(8 Posts)
Burgerbobismydad Sun 06-Mar-16 11:23:51

Dp has got tickets to see Jim Jeffries and I don't want to go. I think he's a misogynist but dp thinks it's subversive irony and he makes fun of men actually, and not women.

I see the baying, cheering, airpunching blokes at his gigs get all excited when he makes his rape jokes. I wouldn't feel safe in the audience, and I'd feel embarrassed purely because I'm female.

If it is satire, why does it appeal to the kind of people he is supposedly making fun of, and why does it seem offensive to the oppressed/victim?

agapimou Sun 06-Mar-16 11:44:58

YABU. Jim Jeffries is not on the same level as Jim Davidson and the like, your dp is right in that it is subversive irony..

He is actually an incredibly talented comedian and social commentator as were Bill Hicks and George Carlin. Google his gun control video on Youtube. He does have a lot of "All women are c*nts" jokes in every set but most of it is for shock value. The baying, fist pumping male contingent that show up to every show are only hearing his material on one level and the irony tends to fly right over their heads.

I agree with you that being surrounded by big crowds of juvenile men all night would be off putting, but I think mostly his earlier shows were like that. Most of his audiences now seem more reserved.

As you can probably tell I'm a huge fan, so if you don't want to go I'll happily step in for you grin

Burgerbobismydad Sun 06-Mar-16 11:57:39

Maybe he is intending satire but if the people who go to see him don't get that, and are laughing because they're misogynists, isn't he enabling it?

Happyrouter Sun 06-Mar-16 12:05:54

"Maybe he is intending satire but if the people who go to see him don't get that, and are laughing because they're misogynists, isn't he enabling it?"

Agee.

Happyrouter Sun 06-Mar-16 12:06:14

FFS *agree!

agapimou Sun 06-Mar-16 12:08:55

I don't think it is enabling it. Comedy is an art form like dance, music and painting and is open to many different interpretations. Usually what interpretation you have is a reflection of your own personality. Trying to create art that never offends or gets negatively interpreted would be like tying the artists hands. If we start to censor all the art forms then creativity would die.

Another example is the German rock band Rammstein. A huge portion of their fan base are neo-nazis due to the band's style of dress and musical style. Their actual lyrics are not racist at all and the band have never identified as neo-nazis.

CaptainCrunch Sun 06-Mar-16 12:12:13

Never heard of him but I loved the late Bill Hicks so might check him out.

Burgerbobismydad Sun 06-Mar-16 12:43:27

I don't think he should be censored. I am a big believer in freedom of speech, even if I massively disagree with it.
I just think he makes it okay to have these attitudes towards women

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now