To be irritated by this lazy talk.

(50 Posts)
InisSunset Sat 05-Mar-16 22:17:16

When people can't think what to say, they say "and yeah"....... I feel like answering "and yeah what"? Is this just me, or does it irritate other mners.

MoltoIncazzata Sat 05-Mar-16 22:20:53

I don't know anyone who does this. I've never even heard it said. I think YABU.

PortobelloRoad Sat 05-Mar-16 22:21:01

No, it doesn't irritate me, some people really struggle with small talk/general conversation or social stuff. Hardly the crime of the century.

Wolfiefan Sat 05-Mar-16 22:24:36

It's called back channelling in linguistics. It shows a person is engaged and following what you are saying. It's not lazy at all.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 05-Mar-16 22:25:15

Yabu.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 05-Mar-16 22:25:48

Yeah

InisSunset Sat 05-Mar-16 22:27:56

Molto it's a bit hard to write it down how it's said, but it's when there's a lull in the conversation and the person whose just finished speaking says "and yeah" but doesn't follow on with anything else. Trust me, you will have heard it. It irritates DH too.

AgentZigzag Sat 05-Mar-16 22:30:33

It would if it was after everything they said, a bit like innit? yeah?, but then it'd be more like a nervous tic so I'd probably try to keep a handle on my inner rage grin

It annoys me when people (mostly on TV) are asked a question, and when they answer they say the opposite, almost under their breath, (no, no, no) before they actually say yes! (like that bloke in the Vicar of Dibley but they're actually being serious).

I've noticed it so many times now that it must be a (very annoying) 'thing'.

InisSunset Sat 05-Mar-16 22:30:35

Wolfie no it's the person speaking who says it, it kind of tails off at the end of their sentence. The other person is listening. It's a new thing, nobody used to do it.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 05-Mar-16 22:30:38

Awkward silence, someone says something. They do so because they hate the silence, it's at least mild social anxiety. So yeah, yabu.

In the grand scheme of things is it really a massive issue?

quencher Sat 05-Mar-16 22:31:15

It's egging-you-on to continue what your saying. Or to show you that they are following your conversation.

Or they are saying that is it. Yeah, I see that.

......., yeah

LucyBabs Sat 05-Mar-16 22:31:56

You'd hate me inis and my family and friends wink we start a lot of conversations with " And that's what" think it came from " Wait till I tell you what happened today ".. It's a habit now
I imagine people who say "and yeah" are the same

musicismylife Sat 05-Mar-16 22:31:59

Maybe they are just struggling to stay awake so engaged in your non-lazy talk?

Yeah..

InisSunset Sat 05-Mar-16 22:32:19

Yes Agent I know what you mean, it's another fairly new (annoying) thing isn't it.

quencher Sat 05-Mar-16 22:33:50

Op I see what you mean. Innit yeah

InisSunset Sat 05-Mar-16 22:34:43

Yes Paula it's massive, grin, only joking. It's just one of my bugbears I thought I'd share with you all.

tingon Sat 05-Mar-16 22:34:51

I know exactly what you mean OP, but I don't find it annoying.

AgainstTheGlock Sat 05-Mar-16 22:36:22

Agreed. Also the "ending" of a sentence on so, leaving me to fill in gaps. Twonks.

PutDownThatLaptop Sat 05-Mar-16 22:40:25

I hate it when people say "Yeah, no...." before answering a question.
"So, was it a difficult match today?"
"Yeah, no, it was quite hard."
"Did you have a good holiday?"
"Yeah, no, it was great."
WHY?

BillBrysonsBeard Sat 05-Mar-16 22:41:04

I know what you're talking about OP... I think it's when someone was intending to say more but realised they were done! Can't say it bugs me though wink and.. yeah...

AgentZigzag Sat 05-Mar-16 22:42:40

I know what you mean Inis, lots of people feel really uncomfortable with a silence and will fill it with absolutely any drivel anything.

But then it can be worse when you've asked someone something and there's silence instead of the normal 'I'm thinking' noises of 'uhhh' 'ummm' 'oh I don't know' etc. So you're sat there hanging on like a fucking lemon, knowing it's happened a billion times before so they've heard but aren't going to acknowledge you for at least 20 seconds and have wasted most of what's left of your miserable, pitiless life.

<hyperventilates>

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Mar-16 22:43:45

Azz I've started a thread about that.
I tend to notice it when people have been asked to do something and they're pre emptively saying no problem.
"Are you able to attend the meeting a week on wednesday?"
"No no no yeah of course, what time? "
That still doesn't look right.

Ditsy4 Sat 05-Mar-16 22:49:01

And um! Newsreaders even do it.

AgentZigzag Sat 05-Mar-16 22:51:03

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but, yeah, PutDown.

JammingtonDodger Sat 05-Mar-16 22:52:30

Starting sentences with 'so' when there's no reason to ...

'Where are you going tonight?'
'So, we're going for a meal and then to the pictures.'

'What have you called your new baby?'
'So, she's called Doris.'

Biles ma pish! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now