Vented tumble dryer - poor energy efficiency but better performance?

(22 Posts)
floatinglight Sat 05-Mar-16 15:09:27

In the market to buy a tumble dryer. Research says vented is better but why are they B or C rated in that case and condenser dryers can be A++ or A or B?

Mistigri Sat 05-Mar-16 15:11:39

The modern energy-efficient condenser driers have a heat pump, which reduces their energy consumption.

floatinglight Sat 05-Mar-16 15:28:09

I'm confused if I should buy a vented or condenser dryer? confused

millymae Sat 05-Mar-16 15:46:39

I've just bought a condenser - a Beko and I have no complaints with it at all. I simply plugged it in and it was good to go. A vented dryer wasn't an option for me because I have nowhere to put it.

My tumble dryer is in the conservatory - it causes no condensation and I've used it to dry more or less every wash for the last 2 months. I made myself peg a load of 't' shirts etc on the line this morning because it was getting just too easy to pop things in the dryer, but I've just dried 3 bath sheets, and 3 handtowels in the tumble dryer in 35 minutes.

I live in an all electric house and earlier this week submitted a meter reading that resulted in my direct debit being reduced, so electricity consumption wise it cant be too bad.

My washing machine has a very fast spin that I use as much as I can, and I do use the dryer in the cheap rate electricity time if I'm up. It's no great inconvenience to empty the water tank and defluff the filter after every use.

Not sure if any of this is any help!

HelenaDove Sat 05-Mar-16 15:56:38

This months Good Housekeeping have reviewed washing machines and tumble dryers
According to them the best tumble dryer is the Bosch WTY 8679oGB

DurhamDurham Sat 05-Mar-16 15:59:44

I'd say condenser every time. In my experience they are quicker and more efficient. I think they are more consistent than vented driers.

Having said that any drier is better than none, I don't know how people manage without one.

floatinglight Sat 05-Mar-16 16:09:46

Thank you everyone for replying. I was leaning towards condenser as there are too many to choose from but the plumber said vented one, it's a no brainer.

Topseyt Sat 05-Mar-16 16:51:50

I have always had condenser dryers. My current one is a Bosch and I have no complaints.

I like condensers. No need for knocking a hole in the wall or hanging the vent hose out of the window. You can position them anywhere and just plug them in. Good to go after that.

SwedishEdith Sat 05-Mar-16 16:58:01

I think there's less to go wrong with a vented dryer. I've got a heat pump dryer - takes bloody ages so research them careful if you get one.

MatildaTheCat Sat 05-Mar-16 17:02:28

I think condenser driers have become popular because so many people don't have the facility for a vented one. Everything I have read suggests vented ones are better. I have one which is quite new and after much humming and harring I went for a cheap Indesit and I love it. More or less everything is dry in about 40 minutes. Can't see any point at all in a machine deciding how long it takes etc, you will work it out very fast for yourself.

I would listen to the plumber, he knows.

Mistigri Sat 05-Mar-16 17:40:47

We got a condenser with a heat pump on the environmental grounds, but it is true that it does take a fair bit of time to get stuff dry - not a big issue for me as I don't want my clothes dried to a crisp, and I have plenty of space to hang clothes to air, but it is a factor to bear in mind.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 05-Mar-16 17:51:29

We have a condenser and it hears the kitchen at the same time - so to some degree save on heating

floatinglight Sat 05-Mar-16 18:06:15

Is that heat generated going to cause damp issues?

lessthanBeau Sat 05-Mar-16 18:33:04

We've had both and I prefer vented, it takes less time to dry, not sure about energy consumption though. Full load in vented takes about 40 minutes same load in condenser would be hour and half.

DaphneWhitethigh Sat 05-Mar-16 18:40:37

I've got a condenser and I love it - but because of the location vented wasn't an option.

A really important distinction is between normal condenser and heat pump condenser - the latter are more energy efficient but take hours and hours, and they're sods to fix if they go wrong.

floatinglight Sat 05-Mar-16 19:02:20

Heat pump dryers are expensive! Don't think they are worth the energy saving, I'm paying all that saving upfront for the machine grin

TattyDevine Sat 05-Mar-16 19:05:11

I love my vented one. Change the filter of fluff once in a while. Use it all the time.

akindofmagic Sat 05-Mar-16 19:59:29

I've got a condenser tumble drier in the garage. It's B rated and so efficient, a full 9kg load is dry in about an hour (it switches off as soon as the load is dry). I've only ever had vented ones before but love my new condenser.

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 05-Mar-16 21:06:09

Sorry to say my heat pump dryer is a very expensive (£500) Zanussi Energi A. It's a ++a and its total rubbish.

I just can't ever get things dry.

It has a cycle thats 240 minutes and clothes are always damp.

I used to have a normal condenser and I could put uniforms in for three boys for half an hour and they'd be ready to wear.

I am totally guilt ridden because infant to buy a shite £150 one and just dry stuff.

My Lakeland heated drier is quicker, quieter, doesn't beep endlessly and doesn't worry me if I leave it on when I go out (I don't like leaving driers on at night or when I'm out but have no choice with such a long cycle)

FinallyFreeFromItAll Sat 05-Mar-16 21:41:15

Vented and normal condenser dryers are mostly B rated now. I had a vented in my previous house and now have a condenser - both Beko, both B rated. They are perfectly equal in drying ability but obviously the condenser doesn't require a hole in the wall so can be put in anywhere you want.

Heat pump dryers are the energy efficient ones. I read about them but lots of people are saying they don't dry properly. They also take much much longer to dry things (part of their energy efficiency), are ridiculously expensive and are a new form of technology (so will probably be better a few years down the line).

Cadenza1818 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:48:31

I had to swap to condenser when I moved and prefer vented. Both were cheaper ones (200ish). I find condenser one gets hotter, takes longer and needs constant de fluffing and tank emptying.

expatinscotland Sat 05-Mar-16 21:51:15

Just bought a Beko condenser dryer and I love it! Would not go back to vented.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now