to hate people who say they are a "peoples person"?

(19 Posts)
ssd Sat 05-Mar-16 12:29:44

and they are always, always a dick

IHeartKingThistle Sat 05-Mar-16 12:31:22

I have this on my CV. It's true and relevant to my job. I am not a dick.

Thanks for playing.

Katenka Sat 05-Mar-16 12:33:56

I do find most people who say 'I am a people person' would find that the majority disagree with them.

To me it's one of those phrases that is an opinion and doesn't really mean anything.

You can't decide if you are a people person, that would be for others to decide.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 05-Mar-16 12:37:26

It's one of those things that if you have to point it out then you're probably not.

See also "great sales person" on The Apprentice.

VioletVaccine Sat 05-Mar-16 13:26:41

It's nowhere near as bad as people who say, "I'm like Marmite - you either Love me or Hate me".

I know straightaway you'll be a tit and I'll hate you grin

Rockytoptennessee Sat 05-Mar-16 13:29:43

Consider the alternative. Years ago I got a new boss. One of the first things he said to me was "I'm not much of a people person ". He was right. Worst manager I ever had. Awful.

Sparklingbrook Sat 05-Mar-16 14:23:39

I don't even know what it means when people say it. A people person as opposed to what? confused

HelsBels3000 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:25:42

I'm not a people person - other people piss me off. Customer service roles do not suit me well grin

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 05-Mar-16 14:27:22

I always thought someone who wasn't a 'people person' was an introvert. like me, I fucking hate the general public.

Redroses11 Sat 05-Mar-16 14:28:25

I would say that I am a 'people person'. It means that I enjoy interacting with people, rather being a 'details person' or a 'numbers person'.
I'm not a dick.

BennyTheBall Sat 05-Mar-16 14:30:08

I thought this was going to be about grammar blush

Sparklingbrook Sat 05-Mar-16 14:30:11

There must be a middle ground. I must be somewhere in the middle I think then. I can turn my 'people person' side on if it's required but normally I can take or leave people.

MistressDeeCee Sat 05-Mar-16 15:47:35

YANBU. I find them to be as false as self-declared "nice" people. I wouldn't call them dicks tho (although thats funny!) they just tend to be people who are chirpy, all up in your face when you just want a quiet moment sometimes

megletthesecond Sat 05-Mar-16 15:54:11

I'm an introvert but good at customer service, I was an excellent receptionist back in the day.

IoraRua Sat 05-Mar-16 15:57:00

Nah I don't mind them.
It's those muppets that post "if you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best" who annoy me. Red flag for attention seeking drama queens there!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 05-Mar-16 16:01:46

I'm a cat person. People are odd.

I work at night where I see very few people. And luckily my work has a cat.

cozietoesie Sat 05-Mar-16 16:03:37

A close relative once joined a company and was being taken round to meet and greet. In the elevator, the person ferrying them - a very senior person indeed - said 'I need to tell you. We operate a culture of blame here. '

I quite liked that. smile

notamummy10 Sat 05-Mar-16 16:11:24

I'm so not a 'people person', I can just about tolerate people, but personally I prefer cats.

TattyDevine Sat 05-Mar-16 16:15:48

I am a people person. I like being around other people even if we are not interacting. I like observing other people. I tend to find positives in people that other people may not. I am an extrovert.

I don't tend to call myself a people person though, on CV's or otherwise, because it is one of those weird phrases. I have heard people say it about me though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now