Have you ever lost something really important? WWYD?

(88 Posts)
coralpig Fri 04-Mar-16 23:02:10

My OH has lost his vital work keys. Can't underestimate how essential they are -without outing us but he was explicitly told at his training that it would he wouldn't be able to work there anymore if these were lost. Locks would have to be changed, the cost would be extraordinary. So important.

We both saw them in the flat but have since turned the place upside down looking- we don't THINK they've left the property. However, there have been lots of viewings by estate agents. I had a big tidy up yesterday.

It's been a rough week for us both. Anybody lost something like this? What did you do? Hoping for positive stories please.

RandomMess Fri 04-Mar-16 23:04:43

Have you checked ALL jacket and trouser pockets etc?

Have you contacted the estate agent that they've not picked them up by accident?

Griphook Fri 04-Mar-16 23:06:39

Could you try ringinng the estate agent in the morning just in case they picked them up.

If you don't think they've left the property.
Keep looking.
Have you checked all your coat
Pockets?

MummySparkle Fri 04-Mar-16 23:08:07

Take a deep breath.

I have lost my passport the day before a holiday twice It has always turned up.

Have you checked pockets?
Would you have put them in a 'safe' place just before a viewing?
In your car perhaps?
Fallen into a pair of shoes?
What were you doing when you last saw them? What would you I've done next?
Have you checked the bins?
Dressing gown pockets?

When does your DP need to be at work next?

Chicagomd Fri 04-Mar-16 23:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JessieMcJessie Fri 04-Mar-16 23:10:52

Try getting him to think back carefully to the last time he saw them, what he was doing/thinking, what time it was.

Check down the back of the sofa and in every pocket of every jacket he owns. I thought I had lost some keys the other day but they had gone into the lining of my handbag through a hole in an inside pocket- maybe same happened with his pocket? Good luck!

Slowtrain2dawn Fri 04-Mar-16 23:13:07

I lost my master keys at work ( major security issue as they accessed every vulnerable residents room) Myself and several colleagues were looking for 2 hours. I stopped focusing on the keys and physically replayed everything I had done since I last saw them. Found them in a random place I wouldn't have thought of looking!
My old boss used to pray to St Anthony when she lost something. Patron saint of lost things apparently.
Fingers crossed for you.

JessieMcJessie Fri 04-Mar-16 23:13:43

Yes, car! I "lost " my purse and cancelled all the cards only to find it in the car in a storage compartment I had totally forgotten about. When you find them, but a key hook for the wall by the door and be religious about hanging them up when he comes back home.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Fri 04-Mar-16 23:14:23

You just have to keep looking love. Then ultimately come clean if they really are gone sad
Have lost two lots of very important things in the past...one was left on the bus, the other my car was broken into. Both logistical nightmares. Not sackable offences per se but certainly put me in bad light. One I redid from scratch without alerting boss, one I redid from scratch having to let everyone know. I do hope you find them shamrock

Pipbin Fri 04-Mar-16 23:16:04

Call the Manitowoc police. They are good at finding lost keys. <<niche joke>>.

Check with the estate agents, then ask St Anthony.
Also try dowsing. I'm not woo but I think that your subconscious might remember where they are and dowsing is a way to tap into this.

Chicagomd Fri 04-Mar-16 23:17:42

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 04-Mar-16 23:19:51

Can you borrow a metal detector?

Can you take the back of the sofa off or tip it to listen?

Second key hooks - DH has searched for his keys many a time to find them in the hook - but he's an exception hmm

HairySubject Fri 04-Mar-16 23:20:42

Take a room each and search it in a grid pattern, behind everything, under everything and in everything. Could be shoved in a drawer or fruit bowl etc to be tidy for the viewing.

I once lost threw away our return plane tickets whilst we were on holiday. We got replacements for 18Euro each.

Can misplacing keys really be a sackable offence?!

FeelItInMyToes Fri 04-Mar-16 23:26:32

Pipbin are you "Avery" a laugh 😆

TheHobbitMum Fri 04-Mar-16 23:28:15

Hope they turn up soon OP x

Chicagomd Fri 04-Mar-16 23:28:58

BumpAndGrind Fri 04-Mar-16 23:31:44

Check behind furniture. I put my keys on the chest of drawers once and they fell behind it.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 04-Mar-16 23:32:54

Yes - DH's passport went missing, and he needed to go away on business the next day. It wasn't in it's place.

It was awful, We had baby DS, who was about 6mths old, and we just turned the place upside down.

I ended up going through every single piece of paper in our filing/important things cabinet - and found it, in amongst a load of bills. The relief.

Just go through everything again - dig right down deep down the back of the sofa too. Tip it upside down and shake it if necessary. Hope you find them.

peaz1 Fri 04-Mar-16 23:34:26

Holes in coats means things slip down in the lining- have you checked there?

On top of places- fridge, microwave. Inside shoes. Behind radiators

Good luck. I lost my passport once. Had to cancel a flight. I was devastated. It was on the top of a bookshelf.

Welshwabbit Fri 04-Mar-16 23:35:31

Second the bins, especially if you have kids. My son put my wedding and engagement rings in the wastepaper basket once. Only found them because we went through the bins extra-thoroughly before putting the rubbish out for the lorries.

GloGirl Fri 04-Mar-16 23:35:56

He needs to swith off his mind for 10 minutes and then reply his life from entering into the flat to realising they were missing.

Can he watch a relaxation hypnosis video on You Tube? If he keeps thinking as he always has he won't find them, he needs a mental reset.

Thisisnotausername Fri 04-Mar-16 23:36:13

lborolass Fri 04-Mar-16 23:38:31

Many years ago some very important keys went missing at my workplace. There was much searching and they couldn't be found until on the Monday morning the externally employed cleaner returned them as she's picked them up by mistake thinking they were hers and didn't realise the importance of them. Could one of your viewers ha done the same thing?

If you lived near me I'd come and help you look, I like a challenge.

Keep on looking even if you know you've looked in a place before.

candykane25 Fri 04-Mar-16 23:38:35

Pray to the saint of lost things.
Saint Anthony I think.

NoSquirrels Fri 04-Mar-16 23:39:49

When did you both last see the in the flat?

When did your OH last use them? When does he next need them - Monday or sooner?

When did you do your big tidy-up?

Go to bed tonight and pray to St Anthony - can't hurt!

Call estate agents in the morning.

Then go room by room taking out and replacing every drawer/pile/cupboard, even if unlikely. Turn out every jacket pocket and trouser pocket (including inside pockets etc.) and check the washing basket by emptying it thoroughly. Check under beds, down the side of furniture etc.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now