To ask if any of you can beat my recent food shopping bills?

(67 Posts)
ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 15:35:28

I discovered recently that the cost cutter over the road drops today's date stuff to 20p at about 5.30, and Morrisons down the road do their third price drop at about 6.30

Both shops close so can be done in one trip

In the last week I have had...

49p

The HUGE fresh cream cakes
Fruit pies
Whole cooked chickens
Layered cheese salads

19p each

Three whole salmon (which the fishmonger kindly filleted for me)
Whole mackerel (10 of them)
4 large pizzas
Ready meals (several curries)
Chicken portions
Sandwiches for DH for work that night
COD fillets
Various pies (meat and potato, chicken & mushroom)
Small cream cakes

5p each

Loaves of bread
Crusty rolls
Tomato and cheese flatbreads
Small pizza (spicy chicken)
Yoghurts/desserts
Bags of fresh bakery stuff
Packets of scones
24 pack of bread rolls

To mention just the recent things. Fortunately I have a huge freezer, and I don't buy a tenth of what's there, but I'm really pleased!

On a strict budget and the yellow stickers really helps!!

ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 15:36:18

Oh, and the bread stuff at 5p are packs, not single rolls!

FrozenPonds Thu 03-Mar-16 15:40:47

I'm jealous! None of the shops around here drop their prices by more than about 50p.

It's never worth buying the reduced stuff when the fresher equivalent costs little more.

They seem to want to throw the stuff away by the crate load.

acasualobserver Thu 03-Mar-16 15:40:57

Impressive!

ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 15:44:25

I just don't understand them throwing the stuff away - I'd buy full price if that's what our stores did, Frozen

Downside is the glare from the yellow stickers, which don't peel off easily lol!

SeaCabbage Thu 03-Mar-16 15:44:35

Where do you live?!

ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 15:45:49

In a Leeds suburb Sea

multivac Thu 03-Mar-16 15:50:33

Asda does my favourite yellow stickers - 6pm on a Saturday and all the already reduced stuff goes down to 10p. Even a stupid boxed salad is worth buying for 10p; and I've had decent packs of meat, cheese etc, too.

Gobbolino6 Thu 03-Mar-16 15:59:31

I've never seen anything reduced very much, and I'm always looking.

Blondie1984 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:07:27

Waitrose at 3.30 on a Sunday is good - strawberries reduced from £3 to 39p

ameliaesmith Thu 03-Mar-16 16:10:22

I love the Asda Whoopsie stickers!

oldlaundbooth Thu 03-Mar-16 16:13:03

19p for three whole salmon? shock

ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 16:15:14

The salmon were 19p each smile

squoosh Thu 03-Mar-16 16:15:31

My supermarkets are rubbish for reductions althoughI rejoice the odd time I'm in Waitrose when they're reducing stuff. I follow them step by step like a creepy little stalker.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 03-Mar-16 16:16:32

We do well out of Marks and Sparks and tesco- fillet steaks for 29p each last week and a rack of lamb for £1.19- but I honestly think the local Sainsburys would rather take the stuff going out of date that day out back and burn it than offer it to customers at a knock down price!!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 03-Mar-16 16:18:09

My DH seems to be very good at this. We've had whole ducks for 50p, turkey crown for 75p and he's always getting packs of meat and ready meals for 10p each. It really helps when money is tight

ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 16:18:32

I sometimes have to wander around for a while, lol

I had to wait about 25 mins for him to fillet the salmon as he was doing the following days reductions, which I was more than happy to do - meant I could stalk the bread and pizza reduction people!!!

EatShitDerek Thu 03-Mar-16 16:18:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilove Thu 03-Mar-16 16:26:35

No mini Asda, I'm not sure where the nearest Asda is actually

RabbitSaysWoof Thu 03-Mar-16 16:26:52

Do they usually put stuff in a different fridge or something? or just start putting yellow stickers on stuff? I've never seen any stuff like that. I should shop later.

notquitehuman Thu 03-Mar-16 16:28:08

Jealous! My local supermarket is utterly swamped at marking down time, and none of the discounts are very good anyway. I was on my way home late once and popped into Sainsbury's, and managed to get a nice marked down Chinese takeaway box. Some git stole it out of my trolley before I got to the till!

I need to go to a further away supermarket, or sharpen my elbows.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 03-Mar-16 16:28:53

My DP and I are sad currently locked in a game of Find The Yellow Sticker (FTYS) and who can find the best bargain! I usually win as the only bonus of a stupid late finish at work is that I can swoop in on Marks at almost closing time.

RabbitSaysWoof Thu 03-Mar-16 16:30:02

Some git stole it out of my trolley before I got to the till! shock

squoosh Thu 03-Mar-16 16:30:32

notquitehuman that contravenes all the rules of shopping! I would have HUNTED them down.

Cheeky feckers.

squoosh Thu 03-Mar-16 16:31:41

My best reduced item recently was a whole duck reduced from £16 to £4. I bloody love duck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now