To think that flexibility in the work place should be about more than periods?

(3 Posts)
sallysparrow157 Thu 03-Mar-16 08:41:44

I really agree with the concept that period issues needing flexibility at work shouldn't be taken as sick leave but that there should be ways of working around it, in the same way I've seen done for pregnancy (ie someone with hyperemesis being temporarily moved from working in a ridiculously busy a&e to a ward where they have regular rest and meal breaks and easier access to a toilet)
a friend of mine has severe depression and his job, when he is well enough to work, is very flexible just by its nature. On good days he will work a 12 to 14 hour day despite officially working 9-5, this means on the days he just can't face the world he can stay in bed til life feels a bit better.

I like the idea of 'health' days as well as sick days. You're not unwell as such but something - your horrific period, your shitty low mood, your insomnia that has meant you only slept 40 minutes and don't even feel safe to drive to work - means you need today off work. No 'back to work' meetings, no having to explain on the phone why you just can't work today. Just a certain amount of days a year where you can phone in and say 'I can't come in today as its better for my health I stay at home'

MLGs Thu 03-Mar-16 08:47:47

But wouldn't that be massively open to abuse and no work would ever get done?

I agree with flexible working in the sense of people whose work doesn't need to be done at specific hours just getting it done, whether it's between 9-5 or 12- 8 or whatever . And working from home for those who can (I.e. not doctors, nurses, fireman etc and not shop assistants or others whose job is to deal with people. Office workers and the like.

But just being able to say "it's better for my health not to come in" no questions asked would be too broad. Some employers donhave duvet days i think but limited in number.

Katenka Thu 03-Mar-16 08:54:42

My main issue with flexible working is piss takers.

Flexible working does work in a lot of places. But it can be a nightmare to make sure everyone has done their hours and work isn't falling to someone else.

My last workplace did a trial of home working. Some staff were more productive. But overall staff were less productive. Taking less calls, unavailable more often. So they scrapped it.

The same place introduced 6 months paid sick pay. Again, they stopped it because the ate of sickness went through the roof. It wasn't affordable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now