Can't believe what Sky News reporter just said re child sex abuse victim of Adam Johnson

(406 Posts)
ofuckit Wed 02-Mar-16 23:01:55

Did anybody else see this? I'm horrified and a bit disturbed tbh.

The reporter was talking to an ex footballer about the case and said 'Do you think it's hard for people to understand how hard it is to deal with the temptations put in the way of footballers'.... 😟
The ex footballer responded in agreement with the reporter, saying how oh yes it's very hard for them, etc....

So we can assume from this that these men see children as 'temptations put in their way'?

i feel sick 😞

ouryve Wed 02-Mar-16 23:02:48

Wasn't Kay Burley, was it?

ofuckit Wed 02-Mar-16 23:06:04

No surprisingly. Was a man - am going to have to find it online...

redgoat Wed 02-Mar-16 23:07:06

That's disgusting but sadly typical of Sky.

ForeverLivingMyArse Wed 02-Mar-16 23:07:57

Poor guys, having to be respectable and decent men and saying no now and again. Such pressure.

DonkeyOaty Wed 02-Mar-16 23:09:05

Vom

SouthPole Wed 02-Mar-16 23:10:26

I've had to turn off the radio after hearing all the victim-blaming on the talk shows...mostly from women.

I makes me fucking mad.

Iflyaway Wed 02-Mar-16 23:13:11

oh how sick.

ofuckit Wed 02-Mar-16 23:13:45

Ok have found it, am crap at links but it a short video on the sky news website called 'Johnson: Downfall of a football star'.

It's not an ex footballer being interviewed, it's a football scout called Peter Kirkley. The reporter is Martin Brunt (?)

ofuckit Wed 02-Mar-16 23:14:53

I'm going to complain. Realise it's a waste of time but don't want to do nothing ☹️

lorelei9 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:21:31

Ah yes, Brunt of the notorious Brenda fame...he gets off on controversy I think.

bakeoffcake Wed 02-Mar-16 23:22:00

How fucking disgracefulangry I suppose Saville found it difficult to resist temptation too hmm

Why do these idiots get air time!

I feel so sorry for that poor girl. I saw some of the messages he sent and he very much groomed her and knew straight away she was only just 15. hope he gets at least 5 years.

IrishDad79 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:22:22

I think I saw that, and if it was the same piece, it wasn't an ex-footballer but a former coach of Johnson's when he was a schoolboy. He was not media savvy (probably never faced a camera in his life) and I thought the reporter's question was deliberately leading. At the same time, I did think the whole "temptation" argument was pathetic.

lorelei9 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:22:25

PS I mean he's notorious, not Brenda.

Fatmomma99 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:23:59

If you do report it, do reference their current ad stating gender equality (from the same group that owns The Sun, was my thought when I saw it --and hurled--)

Wolfiefan Wed 02-Mar-16 23:24:26

All those poor rapists and child abusers. Such temptation every day.
WTAF.
I am sorry but how can anyone even ask this question or think this way. It truly beggars belief.

ofuckit Wed 02-Mar-16 23:26:33

Sorry yes you're right Irishdad that was it.

wasonthelist Wed 02-Mar-16 23:38:34

Some people seem to think being a footballer excuses anything

emilybohemia Wed 02-Mar-16 23:38:35

Kids aren't a temptation. Minimising rubbish!

Dontlaugh Wed 02-Mar-16 23:41:51

Those kids....wink
Such temptresses. Not.
I've tweeted Sky reporter, would encourage others to do same.
Silence encourages the bolleaux.

emotionsecho Wed 02-Mar-16 23:43:58

Sky did another piece during Adam Boulton's show where they interviewed an ex Judge (I think) and they mentioned the celebrity status, etc., and the Judge very firmly stated that the victim blaming had to stop which was refreshing to hear.

PiperChapstick Wed 02-Mar-16 23:47:17

I knew this would happen, the Sky Facebook page is full of "what he did was bad but she knew what she was doing". She. Was. A. Child!! Why are people so rancid?! There's even calls to name and shame the poor girl. I can't get my head around people's train of thought.

The worst thing is she will be forever remembered and judged in her community for this, and the Child Abuser Adam Johnson will leave jail a millionaire and will probably get another footballing job abroad sad

Nanny0gg Wed 02-Mar-16 23:49:13

If only footballers weren't paid ludicrous amounts of money and lauded like gods maybe they'd stop thinking they can do what they like to whom they like.

(and glorified for doing it. Apparently the chanting at the game just after he'd been arrested was more than supportive sad)

ofuckit Wed 02-Mar-16 23:51:49

Unfortunately I don't used Twitter & know bugger all about it but have complained to Ofcom.

donajimena Wed 02-Mar-16 23:54:25

I've been horrified by the comments (a lot from women ) saying she knew what she was doing.
FFS at 15 I fantasised about shagging pop stars but I would have been terrified if I had ended up in a situation such as she did (and she was terrified)
At 15 you have the thoughts of a maturing woman but are in no way emotionally equipped to handle the reality. I'm disgusted.
I will say that there was also an overwhelming amount of support from male posters too condemning him which was heartening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now