Dais choosing almost same name as my dd..

(86 Posts)
Littlecatbigpanther Wed 02-Mar-16 14:52:09

Aibu to find this a bit odd, my dsis is due to have her baby any day and has told me they are planning to call it almost the same name as my dd, who is 1yo.

I don't want to say the names for fear of outing, but it's like my dd being called Maisie and her dd being Macey. It's hard to tell the names apart when spoken. I am quite bemused by the whole situation, until now they had several names on their shortlist, but apparently this final choice is for definite...odd?

wonderpants Wed 02-Mar-16 14:54:56

Wouldn't bother me!
I think anyone should be able to call their child the name they want.

Gracey79 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:55:57

Really odd to me!

I do know two sisters who have an Ollie and an Oliver though and find that strange but they obviously don't. Or at least one of them doesn't grin

SmashingBumpkins Wed 02-Mar-16 14:56:01

Not odd at all. I have a cousin who has exactly the same name as me (e.g. we're both Sarah Smith). What's the issue?

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Wed 02-Mar-16 15:00:53

Two of my cousins have similar names like their shortened name there's literally only the vowel difference between their names, their cousins to each other too.

I don't know if it's different cos Maisie and Macey sound more similar than that but I don't think it would bother me or make me think it was odd

SatsGrrrr Wed 02-Mar-16 15:05:39

Very odd. There are so many names to choose from, why copy yours?
Did you tell her you think it's too similar to your DD's name?

Only1scoop Wed 02-Mar-16 15:16:55

How odd

NerrSnerr Wed 02-Mar-16 15:18:37

I have the same name as my cousin, there is one year between us. We managed fine with no upset or confusion.

Toxicity Wed 02-Mar-16 15:20:55

I have two sets of cousins with the same name. They probably just really like the same name. Try not to let it bother you, as a pp said, it never caused them any problems so I am sure your dc will be fine!

NerrSnerr Wed 02-Mar-16 15:22:47

My brother also has the same first and surname as his cousin and uncle.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 02-Mar-16 15:24:00

Hear of this happening more and more. I suppose arguably it's flattering but I'd be privately thinking they have a limited imagination.

TwoMag314s Wed 02-Mar-16 15:24:57

Very annoying.. and a bit stupid1!!
Your parents will have two gc with almost the same name...

StrictlyMumDancing Wed 02-Mar-16 15:25:33

I have two cousins one with names like Lizzie and Izzy. Its bloody confusing. Every conversation goes:
- Lizzie did blah blah
- Lizzie or Izzy?
- Um, I dont know. Lizzie I think. Aunt A's one.

VoldysGoneMouldy Wed 02-Mar-16 15:33:48

I think it's a bit odd, but it could be the exact same name. No point stressing about it if she's set on using it. And remember she's got six weeks to register, enough people might have pointed out it's odd by then wink

MadamDeathstare Wed 02-Mar-16 15:37:51

It wouldn't bother me but it will probably cause some confusion down the line.

One of my DDs has a very commonly used name because DH and I didn't think to investigate the top 10 name choices when she was born. We have had to revert to 'Big X', 'Little X', and 'Tall X' occasionally to tell children apart.

Notso Wed 02-Mar-16 15:38:09

It does seem unimaginative. At least you were first.

butterflylove16 Wed 02-Mar-16 16:19:32

It's a little odd, but wouldn't really bother me. She may have liked that name long before you had dd? She's free to call her dd whatever she likes, I'm sure once she's born it won't seem so important.

cherrylola Wed 02-Mar-16 16:20:44

Good god very odd. I'd have to say something to dsis.

grannytomine Wed 02-Mar-16 16:21:26

My dad's brother and sister both called their first son Michael. In the family we always called one Mick and the other Michael and it was never a problem.

dolkapots Wed 02-Mar-16 16:23:37

When I was young it really wasn't uncommon for cousins to have the same name. Small town/village so you would have two John Smith's in the same class.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 02-Mar-16 16:25:03

I know two sisters who are both married to men with the same firstname and have sons with the same firstname, It's fine.

MrsHathaway Wed 02-Mar-16 16:27:24

I have the same name as my cousin of basically the same age. At family events we're known by middle names if necessary, eg Sally Anne and Sally Jane.

I actually think it's odder that they're slightly different than if they were the same. I think it will confuse people and you'll get the odd card mixing them up - even if they have different surnames.

But there is literally zero you can do about it.

ComeonSummer1 Wed 02-Mar-16 16:28:58

Yes I have a friend whose ds has same name as his df.

Plenty of families have 'family names'

Wouldn't bother me to be honest.

MrsHathaway Wed 02-Mar-16 16:29:20

Does she know it's nearly the same? Bear with me: lots of people seem not to realise that Harry and Henry are originally the same name, or Catriona/Kathryn. Is it possible she hasn't made the connection?

Bodicea Wed 02-Mar-16 16:33:46

My younger male cousin has the male version of my name. It is a name where I get the male version automatically too most of the time. It did annoy my mum at the time but not a big deal. He lives in the us now anyway. They are at least different names. Maybe they just really liked it and the list was there because they were trying their best to come up with an alternative but wanted that in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now