Baby gender reveal party!

(163 Posts)
Flashbangandgone Wed 02-Mar-16 14:31:23

Firstly, it should be 'sex' not 'gender', but that's not my issue.

Maybe I've lived in a bubble the past few years, but I've only just realized these existed. For those of ignorant ones like me, this is where a sonographer doesn't share the sex of the unborn child with the parents, but sends it off to a baker, who then makes a cake either with blue or pink sponge, covered with icing. It may get sent to a balloon supplier too who blows up a load of pink or blue balloons depending on the result.

So, the parents or parent, hosts a party at which guests are invited to share in the drama of finding out the baby-to-be's sex.... The cake is cut into and the assembled throng whoop and cheer as the sex is revealed, with many congratulations given.... The couple would then let loose the balloons (hitherto encased in some kind of sack to keep the suspense), gazing open mouthed in wonder as the news of their foetus' sex is carried off to the world on the four winds, providing an Instagram-tastic opportunity.....

AIBU to think this is kind of party is the height of a toe-curling, self-indulgent pretention that I hope never catches on (though I believe it already has the in the States).... or am I just being a grumpy, fun-hating grouch.

SummerHouse Wed 02-Mar-16 14:34:50

I am off to get me a job in a cake shop. Here I will take requests and churn out purple cakes in the shape of snake babies.

Donnadoon Wed 02-Mar-16 14:34:59

Ergh YANBU

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 02-Mar-16 14:35:09

Sounds like a fucking nightmare.

And what if the baker makes a mistake? That's a lot of pressure. Or forgets and rocks up with a plain sponge so mummy and daddy to be and the guests are left standing there with confused faces.

And do sonagraphers really go along with this fuckery?

weegiemum Wed 02-Mar-16 14:36:22

Seriously, is this real?

KERALA1 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:36:45

I would love to attend one of these - should be amazing in a car crash sort of way. Hope they catch on!

Sad fact is no one bar the couple possibly gps remotely interested. Remember a work colleague making a big deal about revealing the sex, cringe making.

TheGreatSnafu Wed 02-Mar-16 14:37:06

YANBU. My FB feed has had photos of a few of these parties (all in the US) and they are so cringey.

KoalaDownUnder Wed 02-Mar-16 14:37:30

Twee, attention-seeking bollocks.

UsedtobeFeckless Wed 02-Mar-16 14:38:20

People who release helium balloons are half-witted wonks - never mind the rest of it!

nevertakeyouriphoneinthebath Wed 02-Mar-16 14:38:21

YA DEFINITELY NBU.

Fucking awful load of old nonsense.

FigMango1 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:38:37

Wow is this actually a thing shock

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:09

I heard about these. Makes me cringe. So much.

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:49

Along with cake smashes. What is it with babies and all the cake shit?!

nevertakeyouriphoneinthebath Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:58

Stop press! It's going to be a baby! And it's highly likely to be either a boy or a girl. End of story.

I imagine actually having the baby must be the most enormous anticlimax for almost everyone these days.

SleepyBoBo Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:59

Can't stand the idea. Seems to be hosted by some terribly self-obsessed people who seem to think anyone outside immediate family give a shiny shit what kind of pee hole your kid is going to have. Unfortunately, seen a few variations of this going around Facebook, so it does seem to be catching on.

squoosh Wed 02-Mar-16 14:40:18

I've only ever seen mention of this on the internet so in my mind it's on a par with Yetis and unicorns. Doesn't exist until I've seen it in real life.

See also: Flash mob proposals <mega cringe and mega shudder>

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 02-Mar-16 14:40:46

Jeeesu Christi in Asda. All a bit OTT. I can only be either a boy or girl.
FFS. Pregnant women are fussed over at the pregnancy announcement, The baby shower, the birth and now they want to invent a gender reveal party.
YNBU.

PiperChapstick Wed 02-Mar-16 14:41:04

My friend invited me to this. I didn't go as i can't feign excitement for other people's news that way. I'm like Miranda on SATC grin. Also it sounds soooo boring.

I mean, is nothing sacred anymore? Can't two people just be excited about their news without expecting their friends and family to give a shit. I actually find it borderline rude that they expect people to care so much!

TheLeprechaunDidIt Wed 02-Mar-16 14:42:27

We did this. It was beautiful. Our friends and family got to bond with our unborn baby in a very profound way which they'll never forget.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 02-Mar-16 14:44:02

I have heard of them, but only by reading about them online. I don't know anyone who's had one or been to one (not even the most tenuous friend of a friend of a friend).

I do think they sound pretty dire. And I thought that balloon releases had been consigned to history (where they belong).

Oooblimey Wed 02-Mar-16 14:44:31

I think it's weird, I mean, I assume as a guest (who probably wouldn't give a toss what the result is) you would be expected to be "thrilled" whatever the result? My sense of humour is a bit dark, I would love to go to one where all the guest upon the reveal were like "Oh No that's awful! My deepest sympathy!!" lol!

PiperChapstick Wed 02-Mar-16 14:44:48

<assumes Leprechaun is being sarcastic>

squoosh Wed 02-Mar-16 14:45:39

'Our friends and family got to bond with our unborn baby in a very profound way which they'll never forget.'

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 02-Mar-16 14:46:59

Do you have to take a present? Assuming a receipt too in case you guessed wrong and bought pink booties when they need blue ones.

Is there a list? A poem?

DontCareHowIWantItNow Wed 02-Mar-16 14:47:22

<assumes Leprechaun is being sarcastic>

I hope so shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now