to wait for the packing fairies to come?

(18 Posts)
FedoraTheExplora Wed 02-Mar-16 13:40:14

Moving Friday. Haven't done any packing whatsoever. Haven't got any cardboard boxes. All I've done today is washed the sofa cushions as I am selling it tomorrow (and play with baby DD as she is in an unbelievably cute mood and I find it hard to tear myself away thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

We don't have a huge amount of stuff so it probably won't take that long. But I'm daunted - and have had a couple of tough days at uni so am just lying on the sofa drinking tea, MNing and burying my head in the sand. But I know I should be utilising naptime and getting some stuff done (not that I even have boxes yet blush £2 a box! but plenty of clutter to throw away).

It'll be great to move as we live in a 2nd floor tiny flat in the middle of nowhere at the moment. Were moving to a house with a garden near all my family and friends! With room for a dining table and right next to a park! But the stress of it all is overshadowing my excitement and I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed.

Any motivational tips to get me off my arse? Can't afford a packing service. I'm 22 and have never properly moved before so please don't be too harsh blushblush

glueandstick Wed 02-Mar-16 13:43:56

Go to a supermarket for old boxes. Start with the stuff you won't need this week. Bin everything you don't need. Turn up some music. Make a cup of tea AND GET CRACKING.

Enjoy your new home.

Oh. Label the boxes!!!

littlewoollypervert Wed 02-Mar-16 13:47:33

Get duct tape and re-seal the bottom of the boxes from the supermarket (they usually flatten them) - you don't want a box splitting/opening and dumping your precious goods when you are trying to carry it.

Off licence/wine boxes are great - they are heavy duty but not too big. That sounds counterintuitive - but if a box is too big it will be heavy and difficult to carry.

FedoraTheExplora Wed 02-Mar-16 13:49:31

My cousin works in B&Q so he said to send DP in on his way home and they'll give him a load of boxes for free. Reckon they'll be quite strong and can get some packing tape and bubble wrap while he's in there.

So that's one thing off the list. Yet I'm still lying on the sofa blush

bigbadbarry Wed 02-Mar-16 13:51:38

You'll be sorry on Friday! Come on, get cracking - you don't want to be one of those people that people write threads about, who don't move out on time. Start with one box. Half books half sheets or towels (don't fill it with books or magazines as they are surprisingly heavy). Go!

marmaladegranny Wed 02-Mar-16 13:55:24

Or check Freecycle or similar - there are always loads of 'moving boxes' on those sites around here!

Sort out any fabric items - cushions, tea towels, sheets etc and use these for filling boxes that would be too heavy, fragile etc without padding.

Do NOT put all your books, DVDs or china in one box - most annoying when you pack them and then can't move them as they weigh a ton!

Good luck - but get off the sofa….

MerryMarigold Wed 02-Mar-16 13:57:43

Today:

Make a bin bag of stuff for charity shop. Stuff dd grown out of, stuff you've grown out of or old, dh's manky t-shirts, old pyjamas, books you don't really want to keep forever.

Also a bag of stuff to chuck: broken toys (you will never fix them), tupperware pots with no lids/ bottoms. Start with kitchen/ baby stuff. There's always lots of stuff you don't need anymore.

There will be A LOT more to do than you think or expect. Get some large strong bin bags to chuck bedding and unbreakable bits in as easier than boxing it.

PerryHatter Wed 02-Mar-16 14:00:23

I'd start with the easier stuff to get you going. Clothes, kitchen cupboard items etc. For now, because you haven't got the boxes yet, I'd get cracking with doing some of the cleaning and throwing away of things you won't be taking with you. Then start packing tonight.

hellsbellsmelons Wed 02-Mar-16 14:08:34

You will be sorry if you don't get on with sorting things out.
Honestly, you'll have a lot more shite than you ever imagined possible in such a small place.
Start in the smallest room.
Get some bin bags and get rid of anything you can.
Clear out any cupboards you can and put stuff out for packing away when DH gets back with the boxes etc...
Once you start you'll feel so much better.
Make sure you leave the kettle, tea bags, sugar, milk etc.. until the last minute. You'll need those first once you move on Friday.
I hope you'll be happy in your new home but for the love of god, get cracking right now!!!

Shirkingfromhome Wed 02-Mar-16 14:09:57

Don't be tempted to pack everything in really big boxes, lots of smaller ones will be easier to use.

But yes, get packing or Friday will be really really stressful.

FedoraTheExplora Wed 02-Mar-16 14:12:49

Thank you all for the well needed kick up the backside. I've taken in all your suggestions, I've got up and I have started grin Hooray!

luciole15 Wed 02-Mar-16 14:13:34

Get some drinks in and stay up late with your other half once little one asleep. Always easier when you have company and are a bit tipsy.

JapaneseSlipper Wed 02-Mar-16 14:13:39

Yup. Get cracking - and ask around for someone to babysit your daughter on Friday. Start gathering those boxes, and again ask around (neighbours, friends) if anyone has any boxes from recent moves or deliveries you can have. Boxes are heavier than you think so unless you have a car you will need to do lots of trips just to get them to your place.

Good luck! xx

jobnockey Wed 02-Mar-16 14:14:44

I've moved recently and had the same head in the sand approach, no boxes until 4 days before move , work full time during day somehow it will all just happen lalala! However, MerryMarigold is right. there is a lot more to do than you can imagine so you are making your life far more stressful by not doing it now!

I didn't know where to start. In the end i chose the cupboard under the sink. Chucked loads away (get loads of black bin bags and try not to feel too guilty about landfill blush ) and sorted the rest ready to pack. This was enough to get me going and then moved onto clothes. Filled a few bags for charity and chucked carefully folded the rest into laundry bags. Then moved on to another cupboard. Gave DS his own boxes to pack his stuff and tried not to be bothered about his unsystematic way of packing because at least I didn't have to do it!

Books and Cds are bastards. We don't even listen to CDs anymore but I can't quite get rid of them yet (DP did shift loads on musicmagpie though grand total of £100) anyway they're really heavy so yes, pack them with lighter stuff like soft toys, bedding etc....

there's a website called helpiammoving.com which is quite useful but also made me panic as it has different sections starting with 4-6 weeks before move, which was where I was at 4 days before move!

It also took ages longer to clean the place as we moved out than I bargained for.

We got there in the end though and loving the new place so it will be worth it. And unpacking is much more fun!

Get cracking!

Good luck xxx

ICanSeeForMiles Wed 02-Mar-16 14:15:50

I moved last year - best tip ever - get a notebook. Number each box and write in notebook what's in box number 1, 2, 3 etc. Just don't lose notebook!

DragonboysMum Wed 02-Mar-16 14:16:21

Don't bother packing clothing from chest of drawers etc. Just take the drawers out and transport them as they are. Then when you get to new place just put the drawers back in and you're done. Lazy I know but moving is always much more time consuming than you imagine.

Good luck!

jamhot Wed 02-Mar-16 14:23:28

I use the rule of 3 when moving.

Estimate how much stuff you have and how time it will take you to pack. Triple it.

Estimate how many boxes you will need. Triple it.

It's amazing how much stuff can be in one flat!

LionsLedge Wed 02-Mar-16 14:29:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now