Wtf do kids eat this much?

(445 Posts)
Esmeismyhero Tue 01-Mar-16 16:35:57

Ds is 5 and 3 months (I don't know if that is relevant)

He goes to school, he does karate one day a week and the weekend he is usually running around out etc. After school he watches his iPad, does homework, runs around the house, plays toys etc.

He is very slim but very tall for his age. Lately he has been eating me out of house and home.

Today for example he ate

A bowl of cherrios
An apple
A school dinner
1/2 punnet of grapes
5 strawberries
2 x chicken dinosaurs
Beans

He is apparently still hungry????

Hasn't he had enough? Or Aibu?

He will have milk before bed and I'll ask dh to give him a carrot if he is still hungry while I'm at work tonight. He likes eating whole carrots on his own, I keep finding the carrot stalks hidden :/

dementedpixie Tue 01-Mar-16 16:37:39

No carbs with the turkey and beans?

dementedpixie Tue 01-Mar-16 16:38:08

Not many calories in the fruit either

dementedpixie Tue 01-Mar-16 16:38:38

Sorry chicken not turkey but question still stands

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 01-Mar-16 16:39:58

I'd say you need some carbs with the chicken dinosaur and beans like a small jacket spud or some pasta.

SunnySomer Tue 01-Mar-16 16:40:10

I'm not sure what a chicken dinosaur is, but don't you give him any carbs for tea? Maybe some potatoes. My DS would probably have a yoghurt for pudding. School dinner could be massive or virtually nothing depending how he feels, so I don't tend to rely on it to be a substantial meal.

Katedotness1963 Tue 01-Mar-16 16:40:21

It doesn't seem excessive over the day. No carbs with the evening meal?

whifflesqueak Tue 01-Mar-16 16:40:24

fruit is great but it's mostly water.

not going to fill him up much.

Moln Tue 01-Mar-16 16:41:08

What was the school dinner. Carbohydrates are a little on the low side - can he eat bread?

FrozenPonds Tue 01-Mar-16 16:41:38

Gosh, my five year old eats way more than that.

Eggs and toast for breakfast, a sandwich mid morning, lunch, a few biscuits, and dinner with pudding.

SweepTheHalls Tue 01-Mar-16 16:41:49

That really doesn't seem very much to me..... ) DS 7 and 5 here )

JuxtapositionRecords Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:06

That's a lot of sugar and not much protein. The sugar will burn off quickly leaving him with a 'sugar low' and then feel hungry again.

Can you get more protein into him and less sugar? Eggs, cheese, meat etc

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:13

You're not feeding him enough! I'm not surprised he's still hungry, poor kid. Seriously? 2 chicken dinosaurs and beans for his dinner? What a miserable meal. He needs more than that. And school dinners are tiny.

nickEcave Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:38

It depends how big the school dinner is. At my kids primary the portions are tiny and they are always starving when they come out of school. My 5 year old DD is tiny but on a typical school day will eat bowl of cereal, slice of toast and peanut butter, school lunch, apple, 2 pancakes, and dinner might be something like 3 sausages, mash and peas.

LagunaBubbles Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:41

Doesnt seem that bad or excessive to me really. What makes you think it is?

confusedandemployed Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:46

My 3yr old would probably eat more than this confused

slanleat Tue 01-Mar-16 16:42:50

i would be giving him something more than a carrot after that list. If it had been my son at that age he would have been eating more than your list (I admit I do not know what is in a school dinner but assume its the same as you might get at home.)

I'd give him a sandwich or cereal before bed, not a carrot.

SunnySomer Tue 01-Mar-16 16:43:02

Actually for a snack after school my DS tends to have a piece of toast, or a toasted tea cake or something filling like that. (He's a bit older, but has always been hungry after school). Maybe if it has to be fruit a banana would be good?

mamapants Tue 01-Mar-16 16:43:04

That isnt very much. My 18mth old and four year old eat more than that.

JuxtapositionRecords Tue 01-Mar-16 16:43:05

Also how much does he drink, hunger and thirst can get confused

LagunaBubbles Tue 01-Mar-16 16:43:13

And carbohydrates are needed for energy.

ollieplimsoles Tue 01-Mar-16 16:44:51

That doesn't seem like much at all to me, fruit is just water really and is digested really quickly.
He needed a jacket potato or something with evening meal, what did he have for dinner at school?

At first I thought stealth boast at the amount of fruit he ate tbh..

ShoppingBasket Tue 01-Mar-16 16:45:05

School dinners are small. If Reception times are the same as here he is having dinner at 11.45...
My DS eats another full dinner in the evening.

MLGs Tue 01-Mar-16 16:45:51

It doesn't seem much to me either. I would serve some potatoes with that dinner.
My DD would probably have wanted toast or similar after school at 5 (she's now 7) rather than just fruit. And yogurt or something for pudding (full fat). She's very skinny BTW but tall.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Tue 01-Mar-16 16:45:55

A sedentary 5 year old, should probably be eating about the same number of calories as their sedentary mother. Of course on top of that you really hope neither are sedentary and actual calories used exercising will be less for the child, but still you'd've thought an active 5 year old would require more calories than their mother unless she exercised a lot.

What did you eat today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now