To think my local Mumnset site should not be supporting this rubbish?

(53 Posts)
TwigTheWonderKid Mon 29-Feb-16 14:58:14

Am I suffering a sense of humour failure or is it utterly dispiriting that our local shopping centre (Centre Court in Wimbledon) is celebrating Mother's Day by holding a competition which includes these categories: Baking Mum, Sporty Mum, Beautiful Mum, Fashionable Mum, Glamorous Mum and Stressed Mum, and that the local Mumsnet site is involved and supporting this cliched, unimaginative, sexist rubbish.

Nydj Mon 29-Feb-16 15:00:18

Yanbu, it's reinforcing sexist stereotypes.

SoupDragon Mon 29-Feb-16 15:01:16

Well, you can think whatever you like.

Personally I think the complaints about this kind of thing are tedious.

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Feb-16 15:02:14

What categories would be ok?

infife Mon 29-Feb-16 15:03:07

Perhaps they shouldn't bother doing anything, ever?

Did you offed to help run the event?

Sallygoroundthemoon Mon 29-Feb-16 15:03:13

YANBU. Stressed mum? Seriously?

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 29-Feb-16 15:04:55

Something which doesn't fall back on lazy, inaccurate stereotyping, which only serves to portray women as vain, empty cake makers Sparkling.

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Feb-16 15:04:58

Well people have to vote, nobody is forcing them. I would probably get a vote for 'stressed mum' today.

Twitterqueen Mon 29-Feb-16 15:04:59

FFS - IT'S MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!

What do you expect? Gender-neutral chief care-giver Baker?

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Feb-16 15:05:40

Such as what Twig?

kali110 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:07:11

Agree soupdragon very tedious. Maybe there shoukd just be no mothers day?

RaptorsCantPlayPoker Mon 29-Feb-16 15:08:09

Badass mum? (I'd LOVE to win that)! grin

EatShitDerek Mon 29-Feb-16 15:08:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Mon 29-Feb-16 15:09:22

I never knew there was a shopping centre called Centre Court at Wimbledon. Inspired. grin

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 29-Feb-16 15:09:23

And the shops selling perfume and flowers on special offer! Disgraceful!

grin

Stratter5 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:12:01

<eye roll>

Don't you think you're trying just a bit too hard to be Most Outraged?

Bunbaker Mon 29-Feb-16 15:12:02

Yawn

MartinaJ Mon 29-Feb-16 15:12:56

My daughter was once chosen to play a role of a king's personal guard in an amusement park because of her really mean look she made when they were calling for volunteers for a play and asked them to look dangerous.
When they asked her how she managed to look this mean, she said it's the look her Mum gives her when she wouldn't tidy her room. Talk about earth swallow me moment. So yeah, that would be a category I'd be proud of, "The meanest Mum look.". Other than that, well, it's a sexist drivel but hey, it's for Mother's Day and unless they ask you to compete, you are OK.

Shutthatdoor Mon 29-Feb-16 15:13:34

Personally I think the complaints about this kind of thing are tedious.

Me too

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 29-Feb-16 15:14:31

Shall we take a vote?

Zampa Mon 29-Feb-16 15:22:10

Maybe they could have added in something like Professional Mum or DIY Mum, to show the diverse roles held by mothers?

Think Beautiful, Fashionable and Glamorous are all the same ballpark.

However, we could equally complain about beauty products and handbags being marketed for Mothers' Day over power tools and golf clubs.

SleepyBoBo Mon 29-Feb-16 15:24:45

I always think 'it's not a problem as long as there's a male counterpart'. So come Father's day, I assume there will be thrilling events such as 'Car-fixing Dad', 'Barbecue-Cooking Dad' 'Handsome Dad', 'Six-Pack Dad' and 'Best Weekend Dad'.

OnlyLovers Mon 29-Feb-16 15:32:47

It's interesting that all the categories are to do with stereotyped 'female' activities and qualities –the latter being, notably, all decorative rather than functional.

YANBU.

TwigTheWonderKid Mon 29-Feb-16 15:38:09

That's my point Zampa, beautiful, fashionable and glamorous are all effectively the same (God knows how Sporty slipped in there) which compounds it as it's suggesting there is nothing else to women at all. On one level of course it's trivial but personally I think it's important that we address this normalised everyday sexism and lazy stereotyping

What about hard-working, brave, adventurous, creative, inspiring?

UmbongoUnchained Mon 29-Feb-16 15:41:25

I'm a tired, stressed, attractive, fashion conscious mum who plays netball and bakes. I guess I'm just letting my entire gender down. I'll go and throw myself off a bridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now