To be annoyed with 111

(22 Posts)
Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 08:01:33

I have had a very ill child since yesterday morning, she has a temperature, severe sore throat which is red with a red rash- I suspect strep throat. Since yesterday eve she has been able to swallow any fluid or medicine so can't control her pain. She has special needs and doesn't understand that the short term pain of swallowing meds will make her feel better long term.
Was hoping to see an out of hours doctor today, ours usually have loads of space. But apparantly according to the 111 nurse I was put through to, she can wait to see her own gp tomorrow.
What kind of symptoms do they actually need to see a Dr at the weekend?

HeffalumpHistory Sun 28-Feb-16 08:04:33

I'd be phoning them back & asking again tbh

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 28-Feb-16 08:05:53

tbing is tonsillitis can be viral so it won't be instant anti biotic anyway even if you did see a dr.

with regards to pain relief I'm. not sure what you think and can do that you can't. can you get some ice lollies ? see I'd she will suck on those.

Dd had it a few months back I k ow bow horrid it can be.i hope she feels better soon. flowers

Hassled Sun 28-Feb-16 08:06:53

Is there any sort of walk-in place near you? If you can't control her temperature because she's not swallowing then you probably do need to get her seen.

Pippioddstocking Sun 28-Feb-16 08:10:02

Is it a bright red rash all over? With a slight white ring around her mouth? Cherry red tongue? Any pus on tonsils ? What is her temperature? Is she having calpol and neurofen ?

Mrsmulder Sun 28-Feb-16 08:10:58

How old is she? You can get neurofen melts but they are for over 12. Could you try the chemist to see if there is anything they can suggest? You can get a spray which helps to numb the throat slightly so it's less painful to swallow

Pippioddstocking Sun 28-Feb-16 08:11:04

Sorry just read that she isn't tolerating analgesia . What is her temperature without it? How old is he/she?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 28-Feb-16 08:15:04

do chemists sell the suppositories usually?

could that be a possibility re pain relief?

dd just lived of calipos and ice cream.

Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 08:17:17

She's 7, her lips are very red. She had scarlet fever last year and was very ill with it, it's quite similar to that but no strawberry tounge. She has red dots that started on the dangly thing yesterday and have spread to the back of the roof of her mouth
We have no walk in here, she's just sucking an ice lolly so at least that's a bit of fluid.

Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 08:19:00

Oh also I brought the spray anti septic numbing stuff which worked for her yesterday day time but didn't touch the pain in the night . Will give her some when she's had the ice lolly

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 28-Feb-16 08:20:28

at 7 they cab have tablets instead of the liquid suspension.

could you hide it in a spoon of ice cream. (break it in half)

Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 08:24:15

She's meant to take tabLet's for another condition she has and hasn't been able to swallow them since yesterday but they sound good for when she's feeling a bit better thanks

PinkSnowAndStars Sun 28-Feb-16 08:27:30

Where in the country are you? If your in bucks there is a couple of walk in centres

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 28-Feb-16 08:31:58

Well hopefully ed the lollies should help.

generally drs don't prescribe pain relief anyway unless more is needed than the standard stuff we can buy.

I would see how she goes on the cold food and whether or not that helps her take some meds as her throat feels momentarily better and you can mix it In some.yogurt or something.

ricketytickety Sun 28-Feb-16 08:38:36

Ring them back and go through the proceedure again. Make sure you explain all her symptoms. There may be something you left out that will mean she needs to see someone.

Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 08:42:21

Thanks for all advice after the ice lolly managed to spray the numbing spray and get in half the ibprofen which is better than none!

YourBubzYourRulzHun Sun 28-Feb-16 08:44:57

She sounds like she needs antibiotics.
When I had scarlet fever a couple of years ago, I rang 111 on a Sunday and described my symptoms- fell like I was swallowing glass, temperature, rash all over arms and legs. They told me to 'have a hot drink'.
I went to my GP the next day and got antibiotics.

dementedpixie Sun 28-Feb-16 08:46:47

Calpol do melting paracetamol tablets for over 6 years. They just dissolve on the tongue.

Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 08:56:06

yourbubz yes! That was one of the advice given- hot or cold drink, when I said she couldn't swallow they said just keep trying.
I do think she needs antibiotics but will wait till tomorrow now, she's having a nap now. No walk in clinics around here. Will ask my mum to pop round with the calpol melts if she can find them. Thanks

dementedpixie Sun 28-Feb-16 08:57:40

I get them in the supermarket normally

Wantagoodname Sun 28-Feb-16 09:27:29

Thanks demented

Boomingmarvellous Sun 28-Feb-16 09:30:06

You can get paracetamol suppositories over the counter for children if all else fails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now