To think my mirena coil has gone for a walkabout?

(5 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 27-Feb-16 11:19:06

Bit of a blatant post here for traffic, sorry blush.

I've had my coil for nearly a year. It was fine until a few weeks ago - my periods never stopped but they were a bit lighter than before. In January I took northisterone to delay my period for a few days. A few days later I got really bad cramps (never usually get them) which lasted for a week, and a heavy period (normally very light).

My next period was weird - again really bad cramps for days before it started, then when it happened it was a bit of a non event, more spotting really than bleeding, which lasted for nearly 2 weeks then stopped for a couple of days. Then yesterday I got a really sharp pain in my lower tummy, which made me scream, then the bleeding started again. Bled all day yesterday, seems to have stopped again now though.

I've heard horror stories about coils migrating to places they shouldn't, and a bit worried that's happened to me. Going to get an appointment at the docs on Monday but wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

MrsPatrickDempsey Sat 27-Feb-16 11:32:28

No - haven't experienced anything similar but was wondering whether you can feel the strings?

nipersvest Sat 27-Feb-16 11:36:19

as mrspd says, check the strings!! check them stood up, and also laying down as that can move the coil. if you can feel them, then its still in place, if you can't, go get checked via a scan asap and that should find it.

even if the strings are still there, i'd still go get checked out due to the odd bleeding.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 27-Feb-16 12:01:32

I've never actually tried to feel the strings before! Just had a forage about and I think I can feel a string.

Monstertrucker Sat 27-Feb-16 12:58:48

It's good practice to check for the strings monthly so you know its still in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now