To sell the concert tickets

(133 Posts)
FaithlessOne Fri 26-Feb-16 23:18:48

I am so angry I can't think straight so I need ad

DD (age 12) has done a really stupid thing. She's part of a Minecraft forum and server. Donations to the server are accepted but not compulsory but you get more privileges with donating.

Anyway, I found out tonight that yesterday she donated over £70 of her own money on behalf of other users of the forum. I'm fuming. Yes, it's her money but it's too much and she doesn't know these people..

So, WIBU to sell the concert tickets she begged me for (I bought them last month for £120) to re-coup the money and teach her a lesson?

FaithlessOne Fri 26-Feb-16 23:19:10

*need advice

Chocoholicmonster Fri 26-Feb-16 23:20:37

When is the concert?

FaithlessOne Fri 26-Feb-16 23:21:43

April

00100001 Fri 26-Feb-16 23:21:47

yabu.

why did she give the money?

RubyRoseViolet Fri 26-Feb-16 23:21:52

I wouldn't. She's been very, very silly but she spent her own money. Does she acknowledge her mistake?

AtSea1979 Fri 26-Feb-16 23:22:40

It's her money so you want to sell the concert tickets and give her the money back? Surely it's her choice then whether she wants to go to the concert or have money back?

FaithlessOne Fri 26-Feb-16 23:22:49

It's the only thing I can think of to sell of 'hers'.

VimFuego101 Fri 26-Feb-16 23:23:06

Why would she donate on behalf of others?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 26-Feb-16 23:23:11

It's her money. One of the most important things you can do is help your children learn from their mistakes. Unless she really, genuinely feels that it was money well spent. In which case you might have the future head of a charity on your hands. What lesson is it that you want her to learn?

A much better lesson might be to give over MORE control of the money to her and then, when she wants concert tickets in future, she has to save, not spend money on her Minecraft or go without.

Redglitter Fri 26-Feb-16 23:23:17

I'd say YWBU she's lost £70 of her own money. If it had been your money is say do it but to sell the tickets to then give her the money seems a bit pointless. I bet she's learned her lesson. Sadly she's not 5he first and won't be the last to get caught out making in game payments

Chicagomd Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Peppapogstillonaloop Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:18

But she has already lost her money? Why do you have to get that money back?

Chocoholicmonster Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:32

On another note, I don't think you're being unreasonable to be angry but to sell the tickets I think is a little unreasonable. At 12, how does she have access to 'donate' this money online? Personally, as it's her own money, I'd sit her down & explain why this was not such a good idea to do & take more of a control over her access to money / being able to spend / donate online.

If it was YOUR money I'd say to certainly sell the tickets to recoup the £70 but as it's not - maybe it'll be a tough lesson learnt when she wants a new pair of shoes or toy or something & has already spent that money.

HeffalumpHistory Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:34

Yanbu. Yes it's her money but I think 12 is too young, especially given circumstances of the thread, to fully understand the value. Harshness lesson but would be one that she'd remember & hopefully learn from.
Tough on you though

Chicagomd Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:41

FaithlessOne Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:46

She doesn't know why she gave the money. She just did.

I bought the concert tickets. I don't think she deserves a treat like that.

Redglitter Fri 26-Feb-16 23:25:14

Why is there a need to sell anything though
It was her money. Maybe not spent the wisest way but it was hers to spend

MissTessmacher Fri 26-Feb-16 23:25:24

YABU.

I'm a softie though.

How did she donate £70? She has a bank account and PayPal? confused

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 26-Feb-16 23:26:30

I don't think she deserves a treat like that. Because she was generous and a little gullible? I'm still struggling to see the 'lesson'.

Chicagomd Fri 26-Feb-16 23:26:47

VimFuego101 Fri 26-Feb-16 23:27:24

I think losing her 70 pounds is punishment enough tbh. I'd be more concerned that she learns to think really hard about what she gives away online (money and information) to people she doesn't know, and maybe ban her from the forum until she has proved she can be responsible.

cestlavielife Fri 26-Feb-16 23:28:04

It was her money
Had you pvsly told or advised her not to give money and talked about it ?
Use it as a learning experience she is only 12
Take her to the concert

FaithlessOne Fri 26-Feb-16 23:28:26

Thanks for posts. Yes it's her money. She has her own bank account. I thought she was sensible. The donated money was her money. I bought the concert tickets as a treat for but I no longer think she deserves that treat.

Tbh I hadn't thought through about giving her the money from the sale of the tickets as I bought them. I just had a knee-jerk reaction to wanting her to lose something.

I haven't discussed the tickets with her. She was sent to bed when I found out about the donations.

Chocoholicmonster Fri 26-Feb-16 23:29:11

I'm struggling to understand how a 12 year old has access to spend or donate any amount of money online to be honest? If you had more control over her online (/bank??) accounts then surely this wouldn't of happened? As it was her own money I wouldn't punish by taking away the tickets but I would maybe ban her from going online for a couple of weeks to really hit home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now